Is this something one has to specify at restaurants?

This topic is 1623 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I've had dinner at two restaurants during my conference that did something I find pretty annoying. I ordered a soup and a salmon dish at one, and they brought the two at the same time. Then, 2 days later, I ordered a side salad and a chicken dish, and they brought the chicken less than 5 minutes after the salad (which I wasn't half-way through). Should I be specifying when I order "...and please don't bring the main dish until after I've finished my soup or salad..."? I hate to have to state what I think should be obvious, but I find bringing the main dish while I haven't had a chance to finish my starter quite irritating.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, as a waiter during college, I learned that "firing" the main dish in the kitchen required some shrewd timing.....sounds like your chicken was finished quickly by the kitchen staff and the waiter had to bring it out before it got cold.....not quite sure about your soup/salmon, unless that's some tradition at that particular place.....if you like to eat your first course unusually slow, it probably should be mentioned to the waiter.....

I remember as a kid a restaurant (I think ?? it was the old "Ore House" chain??) had the distinct policy of having waiters always tell customers that they wouldn't "fire" your main plate until they saw you get up and go to the included salad bar.......

The restaurants that still exist that conduct themselves in traditional societal norms of etiquette are few and far between.

staff at every level is simply not trained properly any longer.

another pet peeve of mine is having any plates cleared before all in the party have finished their course(s). No doubt Emily Post is spinning in her grave.

Bad service. Sounds like the server didn't want to get slammed with entrees for multiple tables ready at the same time. A good restaurant will have staff serve hot food when it's ready, no matter who's table it is, so no need for one server to hurry some entrees, or delay others to even out delivery.

This is an annoying trend. At one restaurant, the entree came out before the salad. At another, I ordered a burger and fries (which are typically served at the same time) and the fries came out at least ten minutes before the burger.

Nice places still serve in courses, but casual places, more and more, are bringing all the food at once. It doesn't bother me that much, although I prefer eating in courses, especially when you pay what restaurants cost in SF.

Edited by Rudynate

I wonder where all these restaurants are because I have never had any of these problems. The only issue I have on occasion is waiting forever for the main after an app or a waiter that never comes back so I can get a check.

The restaurants I frequent, at all spots along the price spectrum, almost always bring the salad or appetizer before the entree, although I have noticed lately that the entree may be served before I have completely finished the appetizer/salad.

Yeah, it's becoming more common at a variety of restaurants. On my recent pass through Vegas, I dined at a snotty place at the Bellagio. The service was screwy, and at one point I had 3 plates in front of me and my companion had 2. I asked the waiter, "look at this table, does this seem off to you?" He was clueless. I've had better service at a roadside Cracker Barrel.

I wonder where all these restaurants are because I have never had any of these problems. The only issue I have on occasion is waiting forever for the main after an app or a waiter that never comes back so I can get a check.

I rarely have these problems either, but waiting forever for the check is a pet peeve. I got 'abandoned' in a mall restaurant, in a part of the mall that stayed open later (the movies were there), and by the time I found her I had to leave the mall and walk around the outside in the snow to get back to my car.

Was this an Applebees-type of place or a higher-end spot?

With mass chains, they're now being trained to turn-and-burn. Get em' in, get em' out.

In my case, no. However, when traveling for work or on a road trip I've eaten at Chez Chili and every time the server asks whether I want my salad/soup before the meal comes out. I always do, and they always check in with me when I'm about a third of the way through the salad and put the entree order in at the kitchen.

This might be a function of poorly designed and/or configured point-of-sale systems.

You guys are eating at too-fancy places with too-high expectations. I go to this cute little ethnic place I discovered called, I believe, Chipotle (such a whimsical name!) and I have my tasty and healthy meal paid for and being eaten in less than cinco minutos.

Edited by azdr0710

A few weeks ago, a friend treated us to dinner at Cala, an upscale Mexican restaurant where you have to wait weeks for a reservation. Service was excellent - very leisurely. They brought us course after course of some of the best food I have ever had in a restaurant. So, if you go to the right kind of place, they're not in a hurry to see you leave.