Breastfeeding In Public?

Avalon
This topic is 2154 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Veering further off topic, there are now automated milking machines where the cow goes in when she's ready, stands in the right spot and the machine hooks itself on and milks the cow.

Without any human assistance? Fascinating!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without any human assistance? Fascinating!

Relieving that huge load of milk can be a very effective motivator. The average Holstein produces about 9 gallon of milk a day-that is about 70+ pounds of milk. Highest yielding cows can yield can triple that-rare, so about 25-27 gallons of milk a day or about 200+ pounds of milk a day. Just imagine the stress of carrying that much milk waiting to come out ! Once the cow figures out the milking machine, I don't think she needs any motivation to get there to get a release!

I’ve witnessed this numerous times, in church, movie theaters, and public transportation to name a few places.

What I can’t abide is the changing of a diaper in public. This has happened twice in restaurants of all places. In both instances the mother did not take the child to the restroom. One woman placed the kid on a chair and opened the diaper bag and just nonchalantly changed the wet diaper. Another time the mother laid the baby on the floor and ignored the gasps of patrons sitting nearby. When the manager told her the restroom had a changing shelf she cursed him out and created a scene. Our society is on an ever accelerating downward spiral. I dread what the future has in store. :eek:

When working at a department store years ago I observed a woman change a diaper on the counter of the cash wrap. She was done before I could stop her and tried handing me the dirty diaper. I directed her to the rest room and proceeded to spray down the counter. I later learned that she complained about me to the general manager (with diaper in hand!) who asked her to leave the store. The store, by the way, was located in an upper-middle class community and she had just paid for a purchase with a Amex Gold Card. (This was 1986, so that was saying something).

Regarding breast feeding, I don't look. Seems rather disrespectful. Most women I've seen feeding their baby put a blanket over the baby. My guess is they want to feed their child, not put on a show.

Relieving that huge load of milk can be a very effective motivator. The average Holstein produces about 9 gallon of milk a day-that is about 70+ pounds of milk. Highest yielding cows can yield can triple that-rare, so about 25-27 gallons of milk a day or about 200+ pounds of milk a day. Just imagine the stress of carrying that much milk waiting to come out ! Once the cow figures out the milking machine, I don't think she needs any motivation to get there to get a release!

The cows looked forward to being milked. No one had to bring them in. They'd be at the gate waiting.

I don't like it! I don't want to see a female breast. For those who have had sex with females don't they get in the way?

But I'm told that breastfeeding is natural. So is urinating and defecating. Somethings are best done in private!

It's become commonplace for women to nurse in public. It's true that I would rather not see it, but thats easily solved by not gawking at nursing moms. Anything that eases the burdens of motherhood is a good thing.

This entire issue along with nudity, in general, is highly cultural and generational. In many third world countries public nursing is and has been for generations common practice. Native American women in Guatemala think nothing of exposing their breasts and nursing in public, HOWEVER, they would never ever consider the possibility of exposing their knees in public. Both men and women belonging to a equatorial tribe in Ecuador at one time went around bare chested. When the missionaries arrived they were horrified so the women now run around is pastel colored bras, silly. Prior to the arrival of the missionaries in Hawaii both men and women though nothing of going around in public totally nude. Once the missionaries arrived their, horrified, wives whipped out a garment for the women to wear which became known as a Muumuu.

My sister is 86 when her two sons were infants she ALWAYS nursed them in private. If she was at home it was in her bedroom with the door closed. If she was out and about it was in a stall of a public restroom. She finds women nursing in public appalling. Standards change and this is just one example. With age I have found that it is simply too much work to get upset over these types of changes. It is far easier to simply accept them and move on. As I have said before life changes and we should change as well or check out.

Edited by Epigonos

In New York state a Supreme Court decision resulted in women's right to be topless being acknowledged, though many NYers aren't actually aware of the case. For years there was a woman who would take off her top on a particular subway car at a certain time every day. I think it was the A train. I only read about it in an article.

Was on a plane a while back and the woman next to me nursed her infant on takeoff and landing (recommended for clearing pressure in the ears) and 1 other time when kid was crying.

I would much rather have a nursing mom next to me than a crying kid for hours. She simply put a coverup over her chest and there was nothing to see.

Was on a plane a while back and the woman next to me nursed her infant on takeoff and landing (recommended for clearing pressure in the ears) and 1 other time when kid was crying.

I would much rather have a nursing mom next to me than a crying kid for hours. She simply put a coverup over her chest and there was nothing to see.

she sounds like a caring and considerate mom.