Steak Tartare

Avalon
This topic is 2176 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

many, many years ago, my family was visiting Europe and we went down to dinner in the highly-rated hotel's restaurant (Park Hotel Sonnenhof in Liechtenstein).....my Mom usually was pretty good with gourmet cuisine, but forgot what steak tartare was......when it came, despite having ordered it, she let out an "ugh" and had to say no, much to the dismay of the staff....they brought out a substitute appetizer.......

It’s wonderful but I’d only consider ordering it in the finest of restaurants where you can assume the staff knows how to choose and prepare the beef.

I was a GI in France. An army buddy and I decided to tour Normandy. We stayed at the wonderful Le Loin d’Or in Bayeux. My buddy spoke a little French so I deferred to him when ordering dinner. Only after we’d eaten did he translate “Stake Cheval” we’d just enjoyed.

Edited by g56whiz

It’s wonderful but I’d only consider ordering it in the finest of restaurants where you can assume the staff knows how to choose and prepare the beef.

Yes, I meant to mention this too. My best place closed recently, on request they would bring the whole muscle portion of beef to the table for approval before chopping/grinding/preparing it.

many, many years ago, my family was visiting Europe and we went down to dinner in the highly-rated hotel's restaurant (Park Hotel Sonnenhof in Liechtenstein).....my Mom usually was pretty good with gourmet cuisine, but forgot what steak tartare was......when it came, despite having ordered it, she let out an "ugh" and had to say no, much to the dismay of the staff....they brought out a substitute appetizer.......

The first time I ever ate raw meat was the first time I went to Amsterdam, in the 70s. There used to be a lot of street vendors who sold sandwiches made from little hard rolls filled with raw ground beef. It wasnt't steak tartare exactly because it lacked all the condiments that tartare has. It was just raw ground beef. I bought a couple and I was with a friend and he thought they were disgusting - wouldn't touch them. I didn't find them very appetizing either, but I wanted to show him how sophisticated I was, so I choked them down. I eventually learned to like raw meat dishes.

when my dad was an airline captain and flew regularly from the US to Europe in the 50s and 60s, la viande de cheval was regularly in the cargo hold

The first time I visited Seattle, I spent a lot of time at and around the Pike Street market. One day, I happened on a specialty meat market that sold only horse meat. I went inside and there were all these different cuts of horse meat in the cases laid out on beds of ice.

When I was in my 20's, I read an article about a dozen places in Detroit serving steak tartare, including a place that did a raw hamburger called "The Nudeburger". I never tried that, but did try the steak tartare at a very fancy restaurant downtown when I won a dinner from work. I eat most of my beef really, really rare, so I did enjoy the steak tartare. I've had beef sushi, a piece of beef barely seared on the outside served on a piece of rice.

Count me in for the steak tartare as well as the raw ground beef - with onions it is great. Carpaccio is wonderful, especially if served with really good parmesan cheese. Tuna tartare is also great, and I have a particular fondness for smoked salmon also. Recently also got into sushi and sashimi big time. Can't get enough (maybe it's my replacement for sex at this point?)