Steak Tartare

Avalon
This topic is 2191 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tenderloin is beef. I used the generic term 'beef' not as a specific ground cut!

Actually what you said is:

Unfortunately, you can't trust US ground beef

Which I took to mean a restaurant or home chef using purveyor supplied ground beef. I agree, I would NOT make steak tartare with ground beef, only whole muscle tenderloin meat that has been chopped/ground fresh.

E-coli etc doesn’t penetrate into muscle meat...it’s mixed in during production of commercial ground beef

Count me in for the ste8 ak tartare as well as the raw ground beef - with onions it is great. Carpaccio is wonderful, especially if served with really good parmesan cheese. Tuna tartare is also great, and I have a particular fondness for smoked salmon also. Recently also got into sushi and sashimi big time. Can't get enough (maybe it's my replacement for sex at this point?)

Recently I went out to dinner at a very fine steak restaurant and started with tuna tartare and had steak tartare for my entree with really hot skinny fries (they tend to cool quickly) and creme brulee for dessert. Almost had an orgasm at the table.

A1 sauce on wagyu beef? Sacrilege!

I haven't had steak tartare, but when I was a child my father would marinate flank steak in soy sauce. Before broiling with green onions, he would cut strips off and we would eat them raw. Delicious!

One of my all-time, bar-none favorite meals is bibimbap. I could really imagine it made with wagyu beef. A while ago, just around the corner, a restaurant opened that served nothing but shabu-shabu. The beef version was made with wagyu beef - fabulous I think they were a little to high-concept for this neighborhood - they only lasted a few months.

Ever eat steak tartare? I haven't. Is this the beef equivalent of sushi? ;-))
I love steak tartare, and I have it every time I can. Just a factoid: in the Czech Republic it is almost staple food, you find it everywhere. The Czechs eat it on a large slice of bread rubbed with garlic. Delicious. Maybe steak tartare has something to do with the beauty of those boys o_O

I love steak tartare, and I have it every time I can. Just a factoid: in the Czech Republic it is almost staple food, you find it everywhere. The Czechs eat it on a large slice of bread rubbed with garlic. Delicious. Maybe steak tartare has something to do with the beauty of those boys o_O

Maybe that is their secret! ;-))

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitfo

I hadn't realized that raw beef was so common.

Our American cuisine seems so blah in comparison with the rest of the world.

You think? Several years ago, I took an intensive German course of several weeks in Germany. One of our activities was a potluck dinner where we brought a dish that was characteristic of the country we were from. I was the only American in the class and I wracked my brain to come up with something that conveyed "mom and apple pie" that wasn't ordinary. I finally decided on scalloped potatoes with ham." Everybody liked it.

Edited by Rudynate

America's contribution to world cuisine is McDonald's.

I disagree... A lot.

We're a nation of immigrants and what we do well is blend those cooking traditions into something new and forward-thinking.

To say our only culinary contribution is McD's is woefully uneducated about the very real, very respected flavors that American chefs are currently introducing. This country is a lot more than just apple pie and hot dogs.

You've just got to get out there and experience it for yourself :)

Edited by Benjamin_Nicholas

I disagree... A lot.

We're a nation of immigrants and what we do well is blend those cooking traditions into something new and forward-thinking.

To say our only culinary contribution is McD's is woefully uneducated about the very real, very respected flavors that American chefs are currently introducing. This country is a lot more than just apple pie and hot dogs. You've just got to get out there and experience it to know that.

Thanks. I understand your point. Your comments are appreciated. My tastes are rather pedestrian.