Thought of the Day

jjkrkwood

16 minutes ago, purplekow said:

She did not always have 3 billion dollars but I believe she always had the attitude, so maybe she is on to something.  

As you can imagine I have met "the people" but more often than not I meet "the people that know the people" and it's always disappointing to find out that some of the people I admired are really just assholes in real life.... 😕 As for Oprah I can't say one  way or another but that quote I take it as a reminder to be grateful and thankful no matter what. 

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We destroy the disinterested (I do not mean uninterested) love of learning in children, which is so strong when they are small, by encouraging and compelling them to work for petty and contemptible rewards — gold stars, or papers marked 100 and tacked to the wall, or A’s on report cards. In short, for the ignoble satisfaction of feeling that they are better than someone else. We kill, not only their curiosity, but their feeling that it is a good and admirable thing to be curious, so that by the age of ten most of them will not ask questions, and will show a good deal of scorn for the few who do. ~John Holt

Book: How Children Fail

Photograph by Bernard Hoffman

IMG_5064.jpeg

IMG_4986.jpeg

16 hours ago, Vin_Marco said:

COMPLIMENT PEOPLE IN FRONT OF OTHER PEOPLE

Admonish thy friends in secret, praise them openly.

IMG_5045.thumb.jpeg.d1cf9357bdfbde142fdaae50b2116438.jpeg

While I totally agree that one should compliment people in front of others, I would not phrase the first part of the sentiment as Admonish thy friends in secret.  That could be taken to mean that you should admonish your friends behind their back.  It might be better stated, Admonish your friends not at all or perhaps. IF one is to admonish a friend, do so in the privacy of they company.   A well considered admonishment in private said in a spirit of helpfulness can be a blessing.  One should not be afraid of giving or receiving these in the name of friendship.   

This sub forum really is my favorite... it reminds me of the days when I had a Tumblr account.... sometimes it was "me" but 95% of the time it was things that moved and or touched me. 

IMG_5069.jpeg

On 11/13/2023 at 10:27 PM, Vin_Marco said:

We destroy the disinterested (I do not mean uninterested) love of learning in children, which is so strong when they are small, by encouraging and compelling them to work for petty and contemptible rewards — gold stars, or papers marked 100 and tacked to the wall, or A’s on report cards. In short, for the ignoble satisfaction of feeling that they are better than someone else. We kill, not only their curiosity, but their feeling that it is a good and admirable thing to be curious, so that by the age of ten most of them will not ask questions, and will show a good deal of scorn for the few who do. ~John Holt

Book: How Children Fail

Photograph by Bernard Hoffman

IMG_5064.jpeg

IMG_4986.jpeg

If only I knew you like cool rocks...I have quite the collection, gathered from places around the world.  Fossils too. (The look on that girl's face is amazing)

7 minutes ago, Brock O said:

If only I knew you like cool rocks...I have quite the collection, gathered from places around the world.  Fossils too. (The look on that girl's face is amazing)

Forget nudes, show me your rocks and fossils 😜

IMG_5092.jpeg

IMG_5091.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Brock O said:

Oh, wait until I get home! 

😂😂😂😂 I don't know why, but that made me laugh so much. Thank you. You made me laugh "Rock" hard 😜