Thought of the Day

jjkrkwood

1 hour ago, Vin_Marco said:

Oh cmon it applies to everyone... there are plenty of people who are outrageously wealthy who are not grateful, let's give her a break for not being one of them. 

I agree she's grateful for what she's got; I get that part. BTW, if I had $3B, I'd be grateful, too.

My skepticism comes from the not-focusing-on-things-you-don't-have part, and that if you do focus on that, you'll never have enough. Years ago, I came across a story that Oprah was flying to LA (in her private jet) and from the air saw a spectacular house and estate as she passed over it. She had her pilot land the plane, then somehow found out where the house was located and went there. She met the owners, who did not have the property on the market, and made them an offer anyway. When Oprah left, she owned the house and grounds, and the owners had her handwritten check for $50M. And this on top of the eight or nine houses she already owned.

I do not begrudge her a dime of what she's got, and I'm sure she's thankful for all of it; I know she came from humble beginnings. It's her moralizing to the masses of the dangers of avarice that gets my knickers in a bit of a twist. 

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, wsc said:

I agree she's grateful for what she's got; I get that part. BTW, if I had $3B, I'd be grateful, too.

My skepticism comes from the not-focusing-on-things-you-don't-have part, and that if you do focus on that, you'll never have enough. Years ago, I came across a story that Oprah was flying to LA (in her private jet) and from the air saw a spectacular house and estate as she passed over it. She had her pilot land the plane, then somehow found out where the house was located and went there. She met the owners, who did not have the property on the market, and made them an offer anyway. When Oprah left, she owned the house and grounds, and the owners had her handwritten check for $50M. And this on top of the eight or nine houses she already owned.

I do not begrudge her a dime of what she's got, and I'm sure she's thankful for all of it; I know she came from humble beginnings. It's her moralizing to the masses of the dangers of avarice that gets my knickers in a bit of a twist. 

I understand ☺️ I think there's a heavy responsibility and burden to some degree when you amass that much wealth... sometimes not enough people to tell you no is what gets most ultra wealthy people in trouble...the list is long.  Call me nuts but I'd not want that much money... just enough to maintain my lifestyle and go wherever I want whenever I want AND to be able to help as many people as I can. No more,  no less. 

Edited by Vin_Marco

19 hours ago, Vin_Marco said:

I understand ☺️ I think there's a heavy responsibility and burden to some degree when you amass that much wealth... sometimes not enough people to tell you no is what gets most ultra wealthy people in trouble...the list is long.  Call me nuts but I'd not want that much money... just enough to maintain my lifestyle and go wherever I want whenever I want AND to be able to help as many people as I can. No more,  no less. 

image.png.78a5d5cc8799858da60fc67ce3a900bf.png

Katharine Hepburn’s childhood, in her own words.
“Once when I was a teenager, my father and I were standing in line to buy tickets for the circus.
Finally, there was only one other family between us and the ticket counter. This family made a big impression on me.
There were eight children, all probably under the age of 12. The way they were dressed, you could tell they didn't have a lot of money, but their clothes were neat and clean.
The children were  well-behaved, all of them standing in line, two-by-two behind their  parents, holding hands. They were excitedly jabbering about the clowns,  animals, and all the acts they would be seeing that night. By their  excitement you could sense they had never been to the circus before. It  would be a highlight of their lives.
The father and mother were at the head of the pack standing proud as could be. The mother was holding her husband's hand, looking up at him as if to say,  "You're my knight in shining armour." He was smiling and enjoying seeing  his family happy.
The ticket lady asked the man how many tickets he wanted? He proudly responded, "I'd like to buy  eight children's tickets and two adult tickets, so I can take my family  to the circus." The ticket lady stated the price.
The man's wife let go of his hand, her head dropped, the man's lip began to quiver. Then he leaned a little closer and asked, "How much did you  say?" The ticket lady again stated the price.
The man didn't have enough money. How was he supposed to turn and tell his  eight kids that he didn't have enough money to take them to the circus?
Seeing what was going on, my dad reached into his pocket, pulled out a $20  bill, and then dropped it on the ground. (We were not wealthy in any  sense of the word!) My father bent down, picked up the $20 bill, tapped  the man on the shoulder and said, "Excuse me, sir, this fell out of your pocket."
The man understood what was going on. He wasn't begging for a handout but certainly appreciated the help in a desperate, heartbreaking and embarrassing situation.
He looked straight into my dad's eyes, took my dad's hand in both of his,  squeezed tightly onto the $20 bill, and with his lip quivering and a  tear streaming down his cheek, he replied; "Thank you, thank you, sir.  This really means a lot to me and my family."
My father and I went back to our car and drove home. The $20 that my dad  gave away is what we were going to buy our own tickets with.
Although we didn't get to see the circus that night, we both felt a joy inside  us that was far greater than seeing the circus could ever provide.
That day I learnt the value to Give.
The Giver is bigger than the Receiver. If you want to be large, larger than life, learn to Give. Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get - only with what you are expecting to give - which is everything.
The importance of giving, blessing others can never be over emphasised because there's always joy in giving.  Learn to make someone happy by  acts of giving.”
~ Katharine Hepburn

IMG_4740.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Vin_Marco said:

“Once when I was a teenager, my father and I were standing in line to buy tickets for the circus.
Finally, there was only one other family between us and the ticket counter. This family made a big impression on me.
There were eight children, all probably under the age of 12. The way they were dressed, you could tell they didn't have a lot of money, but their clothes were neat and clean.
The children were  well-behaved, all of them standing in line, two-by-two behind their  parents, holding hands. They were excitedly jabbering about the clowns,  animals, and all the acts they would be seeing that night. By their  excitement you could sense they had never been to the circus before. It  would be a highlight of their lives.
The father and mother were at the head of the pack standing proud as could be. The mother was holding her husband's hand, looking up at him as if to say,  "You're my knight in shining armour." He was smiling and enjoying seeing  his family happy.
The ticket lady asked the man how many tickets he wanted? He proudly responded, "I'd like to buy  eight children's tickets and two adult tickets, so I can take my family  to the circus." The ticket lady stated the price.
The man's wife let go of his hand, her head dropped, the man's lip began to quiver. Then he leaned a little closer and asked, "How much did you  say?" The ticket lady again stated the price.
The man didn't have enough money. How was he supposed to turn and tell his  eight kids that he didn't have enough money to take them to the circus?
Seeing what was going on, my dad reached into his pocket, pulled out a $20  bill, and then dropped it on the ground. (We were not wealthy in any  sense of the word!) My father bent down, picked up the $20 bill, tapped  the man on the shoulder and said, "Excuse me, sir, this fell out of your pocket."
The man understood what was going on. He wasn't begging for a handout but certainly appreciated the help in a desperate, heartbreaking and embarrassing situation.
He looked straight into my dad's eyes, took my dad's hand in both of his,  squeezed tightly onto the $20 bill, and with his lip quivering and a  tear streaming down his cheek, he replied; "Thank you, thank you, sir.  This really means a lot to me and my family."
My father and I went back to our car and drove home. The $20 that my dad  gave away is what we were going to buy our own tickets with.
Although we didn't get to see the circus that night, we both felt a joy inside  us that was far greater than seeing the circus could ever provide.
The Giver is bigger than the Receiver. If you want to be large, larger than life, learn to Give. Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get - only with what you are expecting to give - which is everything.
The importance of giving, blessing others can never be over emphasised because there's always joy in giving.  Learn to make someone happy by  acts of giving.”
~ Katharine Hepburn

IMG_4740.jpeg

Also... When asked what constitutes a happy marriage, she said not only separate beds, but separate houses 🏡 🤪

She also would swim almost daily in COLD water well into her 80's fukn LEGEND 🙌🏽👏🏽

1 hour ago, Vin_Marco said:

~ Katharine Hepburn

IMG_4740.jpeg

That story made my eyes leak. Thank you.

[We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give. - Winston Churchill]

6 minutes ago, Vin_Marco said:

It's enough to make me weep as well.... she's was pretty wonderful but evidently her father was quite wonderful himself 🥹❤️🙏🏽🥰

My dad grew up less than a mile from where she had grown up and where her parents were still living.  My dad briefly was the newspaper boy who delivered the paper to her father's house.  I wish I had read this story while my dad was still alive.  I would have loved to have asked him if he ever received any random acts of kindness from Dr. Hepburn.    

On 11/9/2023 at 5:07 AM, Vin_Marco said:

~ Katharine Hepburn

IMG_4740.jpeg

while the sentiment of the story is very important and a "life lesson" for all to think about giving more than receiving, this is just another one of those viral internet falsehoods.... another "cautionary tale" about believing everything you read on the internet as we approach 2024......

WWW.USATODAY.COM

A viral post claiming to be a short story from actress Katharine Hepburn was actually written by motivational speaker Dan Clark.

13 hours ago, azdr0710 said:

while the sentiment of the story is very important and a "life lesson" for all to think about giving more than receiving, this is just another one of those viral internet falsehoods.... another "cautionary tale" about believing everything you read on the internet as we approach 2024......

WWW.USATODAY.COM

A viral post claiming to be a short story from actress Katharine Hepburn was actually written by motivational speaker Dan Clark.

Regardless, it is a great story and a lesson to follow. 

33 minutes ago, BobPS said:

Regardless, it is a great story and a lesson to follow. 

I appreciate your ability to see the good regardless ....  I didn't feel a need to "fact check" a story that touched and moved me so thank you for that. 🫂 😘