Thought of the Day

jjkrkwood

“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
—Jack Handey

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An original thought for the day:

One can be smart, honest, fair, prudent, rational, hard working, interesting, humble, witty, wise, attentive, engaged, responsible, deeply spiritual, socially aware, and a total slut; none of these qualities are mutually exclusive.

52 minutes ago, Km411 said:

An original thought for the day:

One can be smart, honest, fair, prudent, rational, hard working, interesting, humble, witty, wise, attentive, engaged, responsible, deeply spiritual, socially aware, and a total slut; none of these qualities are mutually exclusive.

I love this! Thank you!

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don’t do anything about it. 
– Albert Einstein

This forum reveals, as “thoughts of the day,” a bit of the philosophy of its participants (both posters and reactors), informed by unparalleled exposure to and experience with the most sacred aspects of the human condition. Experience begets wisdom, which among this group I surmise is profound.

So, I’d like to posit a question: what have you learned and how does it inform your own philosophy on life? Big question, I know, but I’m only seeking one lesson and not necessarily your most important one. Answers can be serious or silly, as all will reveal something (and in each another “thought of the day”).

I will offer one of my own: There is freedom in being vulnerable and intimate with men, and it ripples through all of my relationships. Obvious? Perhaps, but it’s a new realization for me that has disabused me of many false notions about a man’s capacity for kindness.

As we struggle with shopping lists and invitations, compounded by December’s bad weather, it is good to be reminded that there are people in our lives who are worth this aggravation, and people to whom we are worth the same.

Donald E. Westlake

Craziness is good. Crazy people are happy, free, they have no hindrance. But since you have many attachment, you are only a little crazy. This is not crazy enough. You must become completely crazy. Then you will understand.

—Seungsahn