Overused and empty words

actor61

anything artisan made

Especially because we can be sure there was no "artisan" involved. No more than "homemade" means anything on a commercial product. It's there to give you a soft fuzzy image, that's it.

And ladies and gentlemen, we now have a brand new food fad branding - "impossible." As in the impossible burger, the impossible meatball, etc.

Why not? I've been on an impossible diet forever.

Ha! :D

But see, it takes oh-so-clever branding to get more people to try it. Why have a "veggie burger" (ick, say most people) when you can have an "impossible burger" (whoa cool, say more people). I'm amazed they're not also being advertised as being "gluten free." (Oh, but that was SO last year...) :rolleyes:

Especially because we can be sure there was no "artisan" involved. No more than "homemade" means anything on a commercial product. It's there to give you a soft fuzzy image, that's it.

And ladies and gentlemen, we now have a brand new food fad branding - "impossible." As in the impossible burger, the impossible meatball, etc.

Impossible is a trademark brand...right?

https://impossiblefoods.com/

I disagree on the 'heirloom' part, it's a useful word for old varieties of vegetables that haven't been murdered by breeding them to meet 'modern' standards of commercial acceptability.

As a grower of “heirloom” vegetables and a baker of “artisan” hand crafted boule loaves....I agree! (Yes I have my own homemade sourdough starter in the fridge)

Over the last few years I have come to absolutely HATE the word veggie. It is just so so fucking cute. "Eat your veggies dear" I see nothing wrong with the word vegetables other than that veggies is shorter and thus more accommodating to those who are linguistically fucking lazy.

Edited by Epigonos

Over the last few years I have come to absolutely HATE the word veggie. It is just so so fucking cute. "Eat your veggies dear" I see nothing wrong with the word vegetables other than that veggies is shorter and thus more accommodating those are linguistically fucking lazy.

Living in a society that habitually shortens words then adds a 'ie' or an 'o' to them (veggies or arvo [afternoon]) I can't agree. (Veggies would be vegetables, vego would be vegetarian.)

Guest LeonTrotsky
Over the last few years I have come to absolutely HATE the word veggie. It is just so so fucking cute. "Eat your veggies dear" I see nothing wrong with the word vegetables other than that veggies is shorter and thus more accommodating those are linguistically fucking lazy.

Haha, try living in France where people are ultra-cool by shortening words of their beautiful language (i.e., biblio = bibliotheque)

I think 'back in the day' means 'once upon a time'.

Hey @mike carey I must disagree.

'Once upon a time' is typically the beginning of a story/narration set in the distant past. 'Back in the day' typically states how something was different (or done differently) at an unspecified point in the past.

Sometimes a mate needs tutoring. :)

'Once upon a time' is typically the beginning of a story/narration set in the distant past. 'Back in the day' typically states how something was different (or done differently) at an unspecified point in the past.

I think they can be related, if the subject at hand is being distorted by nostalgia, and it comes out sounding like a false story. Like, "back in the day, there wasn't any of this partisan political fighting - everyone got along just fine." ;)

Or, as Stephen Sondheim aptly wrote -

"Trouble is, Charley,

That's what everyone does --

Blames the way it is on the way it was.

On the way it never, ever was."

Sometimes a mate needs tutoring. :)

Haha, so 'distant past' and 'unspecified point in the past' are different? I think my cheeky characterisation stands.

(Yes it was a flippant put down of 'back in the day'.)

I haven't gone through this whole string, but I'm going to Canada in about 10 days. Every time they end their sentences with "Eh?", I feel like shaking them by the neck! :eek:

maxresdefault.jpg

Haha, so 'distant past' and 'unspecified point in the past' are different? I think my cheeky characterisation stands.

(Yes it was a flippant put down of 'back in the day'.)

Ok Mate, let's duke this out. :mad:

The difference is not 'unspecified point in the past' versus 'distant past'. The difference is the telling of a story (eg. Once upon a time there was a little girl named Goldilocks who went for a walk in the woods... etc, etc... ) versus a statement about how something was different or done differently in the past (eg. Back in the day, we ate broccoli every day).

I think they can be related, if the subject at hand is being distorted by nostalgia, and it comes out sounding like a false story. Like, "back in the day, there wasn't any of this partisan political fighting - everyone got along just fine." ;)

Or, as Stephen Sondheim aptly wrote -

"Trouble is, Charley,

That's what everyone does --

Blames the way it is on the way it was.

On the way it never, ever was."

Yeah, the aspect of the past being distorted by nostalgia for 'back in the day' seems right (correct?) to me.