Do you turn your back on people?

Travis69
This topic is 4560 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When opening your wallet or pulling money out of your pocket do you turn your back on people? I have seen people do this and think it is so rude.

I've never viewed it as rude, but rather a matter of person security. By turning their back, or opening the wallet under the table, people are trying to conceal how much (or how little) they are carrying.

One time, traveling in NYC, I took a cab from Penn Station. As the driver was closing the trunk, a knock came at my window and a young man was standing there. I rolled the window down and he said that the driver wanted to to know if I had change for a fifty. Not thinking, I took out my wallet to look in and the young man reach in, grabbed what he could get and ran off.

So, since then, I try to avoid opening my wallet at all when on the street. I keep about 20 dollars in small bills in my pocket or in the back of my cell phone. My wallet either stays home, or in my pocket.

why would you make a remark like that as we approach a season to be thankful for who and what we have? Homeless people are thankful to survive. That is totally uncalled for!!!

Boston bill

oh pleeze ! Stop taking the comment out of context and making it into an attack on the homeless. Even people with homes are thankful for survival. The thread is about tactics to avoid being a victim of theft. Maybe you should read it BOS ??? Thanks for the public scolding. you did your good deed.

When opening your wallet or pulling money out of your pocket do you turn your back on people?

I don't own a wallet. I've had my wallet stolen twice and after the second time, I decided that I don't need one. I was boarding the train in Brussels going to Schiphol Amsterdam with a flight to San Francisco. My trip was cut short, when I realized that my briefcase with wallet, passport, cell phones and laptop was missing. It took me a week to replace everything and I got through it.

For some the sight of a wallet and valuables is just too tempting. Being more prudent now, I wouldn't exhibit a wallet or cash in a public place.

I don't own a wallet. I've had my wallet stolen twice and after the second time, I decided that I don't need one. I was boarding the train in Brussels going to Schiphol Amsterdam with a flight to San Francisco. My trip was cut short, when I realized that my briefcase with wallet, passport, cell phones and laptop was missing. It took me a week to replace everything and I got through it.

For some the sight of a wallet and valuables is just too tempting. Being more prudent now, I wouldn't exhibit a wallet or cash in a public place.[/color]

Steven, were those items stolen or were they only lost and you were able to recover them? I just can't imagine the stress of losing passport, cell phone and laptop all at one time.

BVB, they were stolen and I was never able to recover them. Someone approached me with an address and map asking for some information. He got my attention and while I was explaining, someone took my briefcase behind my back. It was a setup, organized and prepared. I had to replace everything, buy new phones, laptop, order new credit cards, driving licence and passport. My keys were stolen too, so I had to change all the locks. But that's in the past now. Live and learn ... :)

BVB, they were stolen and I was never able to recover them. Someone approached me with an address and map asking for some information. He got my attention and while I was explaining, someone took my briefcase behind my back. It was a setup, organized and prepared. I had to replace everything, buy new phones, laptop, order new credit cards, driving licence and passport. My keys were stolen too, so I had to change all the locks. But that's in the past now. Live and learn ... :)[/color]

Oh My God!!! I am trying to imagine losing all of that at one time. You are a better man than me. I would of totally lost it... A friend of mine once had her purse stolen as she boarded a plane out of LAX, bound for London. They took her keys, stole her car from the parking structure and went to her house and emptied it, literally. Police say that it was probably someone who knew her and knew she was leaving town, and then simply followed her that morning and waited for an opportunity to strike.

BVB, they were stolen and I was never able to recover them. Someone approached me with an address and map asking for some information. He got my attention and while I was explaining, someone took my briefcase behind my back. It was a setup, organized and prepared. I had to replace everything, buy new phones, laptop, order new credit cards, driving licence and passport. My keys were stolen too, so I had to change all the locks. But that's in the past now. Live and learn ... :)[/color]

oh man, Steven.....I would've just jumped off the nearest cliff.....had to be incredibly stressful

Some people would think it rude or vulgar to display your cash in front of someone else.

I would think that would depend on how much cash you had. A large amount, yes I would tend to agree with you, but a small or normal amount say a few 20's and a few 5's and some singles, I do not see the problem.

It depends on the situation and whom I am with at the time. I try to be very aware of my surroundings and what is going on around me. I am often careful not to flash around cash or credit cards in my wallet just for overall safety consideration (someone of ill repute could be watching), especially in a crowded place, in the company of people I don't know very well or at night. I am usually less careful or worried if I am with people I know well and at a place I have frequented often. As someone else posting to this thread mentioned, if I know I will be spending cash, I'll typically keep what I think I will need in my front pocket so I don't have to open the wallet.

Would I ever turn my back on someone when handling my wallet or pulling cash from my pocket? Never have but I could see myself doing that if I did not feel comfortable at that particular moment in the situation.

Would I feel someone is being rude if they did that to me? Initially I thought no, I would understand. However, upon reflection I think I might feel slightly offended even though I know it is a prudent thing for most people to do. Those that don't know me don't know if I am a threat to them or not so I shouldn't think it as rude or a personal affront on my honesty/character but still there would likely be a slight negative feeling that results from it. On the other hand, if a friend did that I might feel much more offended and might consider that rude.

After reading the initial positing and all the replies, situation and location seem to be the driving determinants. However, what I find most interesting to think about is: in the 21st century with almost everything "out there"-----opinions, religion, politics, sex, et. al.------many of US still are a littlle or more than a little "up tight" about OUR money.

After reading the initial positing and all the replies, situation and location seem to be the driving determinants. However, what I find most interesting to think about is: in the 21st century with almost everything "out there"-----opinions, religion, politics, sex, et. al.------many of US still are a littlle or more than a little "up tight" about OUR money.

NOT uptright about it, just dont want it taken away against my will...... If I want you to have it, I will give it to you....

Archived