Why does everything need to be served spicy now?

EZEtoGRU

If the Matzo Ball soup was spicy, then we'd have a problem. I don't know what I love more - bland food, or the look I get from anyone giving me horrified looks for eating things plain. In Texas, plain means "with mustard", or "you're giving this to your dog?"

Personally,

Food can be flavorful and have some spiciness, without being so hot that my sense of taste is burned off my tongue…. 

I also try my best to avoid extremely spicy food, but not because I don’t like it, but because of my philosophy on spicy food:

If it’s hot going IN, it’s going to be just at HOT coming OUT 🔥🚽

9 hours ago, samhexum said:

Was this you (sort of)?

mama-mia-thats-a-spicy-meatball.gif

They could always have 2 kitchens & 2 dining rooms, & serve you one dish in each.

Not Jewish myself, but I worked for a kosher caterer.  Most of our jobs were at an affluent ortnodox synagogue in the suburbs.  They had a huge main kitchen that was ultra-kosher - actually two separate kitchens - meat and dairy.   But this synagogue was so big that they had a couple satellite kitchens - which were kosher enough - a single kitchen with meat on one side of the kitchen and dairy on the other side.  But the satellite kitchens weren't kosher enough for Passover - during Passover, they were closed and locked - nobody could go in them.

My personal assistant is trying to convince me that the addition of onion and / or garlic to a meal is a perfectly natural thing to happen, despite me telling him that spiced tomato crisps make my mouth feel warm, therefore all these TV cooks doing it as well get on my wick!

10 minutes ago, Welshman said:

My personal assistant is trying to convince me that the addition of onion and / or garlic to a meal is a perfectly natural thing to happen, despite me telling him that spiced tomato crisps make my mouth feel warm, therefore all these TV cooks doing it as well get on my wick!

@Rudynate Posted February 18, 2023:

I used to work for a tech company in Fremont-there were quite a few Filipino restaurants in the area where we had lunch. My favorite was a rice congee with chicken.  It was always topped with lots of sautéed garlic and onion.

matchmaker-edit.gif

On 4/27/2024 at 4:22 PM, ShortCutie7 said:

Then they weren’t kosher or kosher-style… can’t combine meat and dairy.

Jewish Deli and Kosher Jewish Deli aren't the same thing.

I love a good reuben sandwich.

I can get one at a Jewish Deli but not a Kosher Deli.

The rest of the food will likely be bland and tasteless as Ashkanazi Jews tend to also like bland food like a lot of the folks who populated the US during the 1900s. (Italians are the obvious exception).

22 hours ago, Rudynate said:

the satellite kitchens weren't kosher enough for Passover - during Passover, they were closed and locked - nobody could go in them.

I lived across the street from a Jewish family when I was a kid, and was friends with their daughter who was my age. I remember during Passover, I was invited to join them for the seder, but was told to NOT enter the kitchen. Apparently that would have thrown the whole ritual off !

9 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

Jewish Deli and Kosher Jewish Deli aren't the same thing.

I love a good reuben sandwich.

I can get one at a Jewish Deli but not a Kosher Deli.

The rest of the food will likely be bland and tasteless as Ashkanazi Jews tend to also like bland food like a lot of the folks who populated the US during the 1900s. (Italians are the obvious exception).

Interesting- most of the Jewish delis I have been to in NYC, Massachusetts, and Florida have been kosher or kosher-style.  I can only think of one that has mac and cheese and reubens on the menu (Sarge’s, which has the best deli brisket I’ve had).  I’m Ashkenazi and love spicy food and garlic but do have a strong aversion to onions (I’ve posted about it before, but they taste to me like a scientist took the scents of dog shit and rotten eggs, combined them, and turned them into a flavor).

3 hours ago, ShortCutie7 said:

Interesting- most of the Jewish delis I have been to in NYC, Massachusetts, and Florida have been kosher or kosher-style.  I can only think of one that has mac and cheese and reubens on the menu (Sarge’s, which has the best deli brisket I’ve had).  I’m Ashkenazi and love spicy food and garlic but do have a strong aversion to onions (I’ve posted about it before, but they taste to me like a scientist took the scents of dog shit and rotten eggs, combined them, and turned them into a flavor).

Well if they are serving BOTH meat and dairy, they are NOT "kosher". Obviously "kosher-style" is somewhat meaningless because either you are or you are not.

Beyond cutting the throat of an animal and thanking the universe for its sacrifice with a prayer, a major component of Kosher is keeping meat and dairy separate. So in neighborhoods with a largely observant Jewish community, you will find dairy restaurants where you can get a grilled cheese, a tuna fish sandwich, or pizza, but no meat.  And you have delis where you can get brisket, corned beef or pastrami, but no cheese.

It's interesting you mention the onions. I have several Jewish friends who can't eat onions and/or garlic. For my part, since I cook a lot of Italian, Chinese and Indian dishes, I wouldn't know how to make anything without. I never cared much for my family's bland middle-America cuisine...and it's always difficult when I visit to find a decent restaurant that doesn't serve that. Even the Mexican and Italian restaurants there are horrible because they need to simplify the recipes to appeal to middle America tastes.

1 hour ago, pubic_assistance said:

I never cared much for my family's bland middle-America cuisine...and it's always difficult when I visit to find a decent restaurant that doesn't serve that. 

That's why you should stop at a supermarket along the way and pick up a few packages of hot dogs & some buns, so the kinfolk can just stay home & grill them up. 

Bring a portable grill if they don't have one.

@pubic_assistancein my experience “kosher-style” means that the restaurant or catering hall follows all of the basic rules of what “kosher” means except for the way the animal is killed and the presence of a mashgiach/rabbi.  A kosher-style deli would not be actually kosher but would not serve dairy, shellfish, or pork.

5 hours ago, ShortCutie7 said:

@pubic_assistancein my experience “kosher-style” means that the restaurant or catering hall follows all of the basic rules of what “kosher” means except for the way the animal is killed and the presence of a mashgiach/rabbi.  A kosher-style deli would not be actually kosher but would not serve dairy, shellfish, or pork.

Like I said before .."kosher" is a religious practice, not a fashion choice.

Either you are or you are not.

There is no kosher-esque.

4 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

I agree with you- I’m not the one who created the term; just saying that it is a term that restaurants and venues use.  At my own bar mitzvah, the catering hall described itself as kosher-style.  I agree that it is bullshit and have learned from orthodox people that there are no levels of kosher… a salad prepared in a non-kosher kitchen is no more kosher than bacon-wrapped shrimp with cream sauce.

EN.M.WIKIPEDIA.ORG
WWW.MYJEWISHLEARNING.COM

A food is kosher if it follows Jewish dietary laws based on biblical food prohibitions, rabbinic expansions...

Some context for the terminology (and proof that I’m not imagining it lol).

Edited by ShortCutie7
Added another link

On 4/28/2024 at 11:58 AM, Rudynate said:

I worked for a kosher caterer.  Most of our jobs were at an affluent orthodox synagogue...  They had a huge main kitchen that was ultra-kosher - actually two separate kitchens - meat and dairy. But [it] was so big that they had... satellite kitchens - which were kosher enough - a single kitchen with meat on one side of the kitchen and dairy on the other.  But the satellite kitchens weren't kosher enough for Passover - during Passover, they were closed and locked - nobody could go in them.

7 hours ago, ShortCutie7 said:

2 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

1 hour ago, ShortCutie7 said:

I agree with you- I’m not the one who created the term; just saying that it is a term that restaurants and venues use.  At my own bar mitzvah, the catering hall described itself as kosher-style.  I agree that it is bullshit and have learned from orthodox people that there are no levels of kosher… a salad prepared in a non-kosher kitchen is no more kosher than bacon-wrapped shrimp with cream sauce.

Kosher-adjacent?

Edited by samhexum
to ensure maximum delight for the reader!

9 hours ago, ShortCutie7 said:

Some context for the terminology (and proof that I’m not imagining it lol).

I'm sure you're not imagining this weirdness.

But it's unfortunate in that it's misleading to people who choose to keep Kosher.

Next they will be doing circumcisions that are just sort of like cutting off your foreskin but not really......

On 4/29/2024 at 11:30 PM, pubic_assistance said:

I’ve know people who were kosher adjacent. Even if that’s not exactly kosher.

3 hours ago, edinbrooklyn said:

I’ve know people who were kosher adjacent. Even if that’s not exactly kosher.

I know lots of people who keep kosher at home but will eat in non-kosher restaurants, though that’s not the same concept as the aforementioned kosher-style 😛

• 2 weeks later...

🤷🏻 C and E Catholic or  sheigetz, as long as the ham doesn't come from a can, and the gefilte fish doesn't come from a jar, I can't imagine really caring.

Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2024 at 6:18 PM, ShortCutie7 said:

I know lots of people who keep kosher at home but will eat in non-kosher restaurants, though that’s not the same concept as the aforementioned kosher-style 😛

We did NOT keep kosher, but I remember that when I was little, we weren't allowed to bring McDonalds into the house, though we could eat there.  I never asked for an explanation, but I think it had to do with cheese on burgers.

Edited by samhexum
because he's bored as hell