Buy Leontyne Price's former NYC Townhouse

sutherland

For $8,750,000 you can own the SoHo townhouse that was the home of Leontyne Price for several decades.  It is located at 9 VanDam Street and has undergone a total gut renovation.

Here is the sales ad: 

WWW.COMPASS.COM

9 Vandam Street is a townhouse listed for sale at $8,750,000. This is a 5-bed, 5-bath, 4,576 sqft property.

Here is the home as it looked a few years ago: 

WWW.VILLAGEPRESERVATION.ORG

While it is a well-established fact that our neighborhoods have attracted and been home to some of the most groundbreaking artists and art movements of the past...

5 hours ago, Charlie said:

I used to walk by the house, hoping she would just happen to emerge one day.

I have a good friend who lives in Brooklyn.  Joan Sutherland, when she was in NYC, used to stay at the huge home of Martin Waldron on Prospect Park West.  One day in the 1980s my friend was walking by the house and out emerged Joan Sutherland in an evening gown. 

WWW.WQXR.ORG

Blogger Fred Plotkin looks at the legacy of Martin Waldron, an only-in-New York character whose stately Brooklyn townhouse was a haven for opera stars and...

In the early 1980s we were visiting friends in Geneva, who took us to a favorite restaurant of theirs on a hill above the lake. After lunch, we walked over to the edge of the property and looked down, and John remarked, "Oh. look--there are Joan and Richard in the garden." Sitting in the garden of their chalet were Joan Sutherland and Richard Bonynge. John called out "Joan!" and she looked up and waved back to him. (He knew them, so they weren't offended at being espied.)

Edited by Charlie

Moderator's Note: Thanks for the walk down memory lane about Joan Sutherland. It must have been an absolute treat to see her. Now, let's walk (or take the subway) back to SoHo and take another look at Leontyne Price's townhome. Maybe someone can go to the open house and report back.  If anyone has more Joan Sutherland stories to share, please feel free to start a thread about her. 🙏

21 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

That's a steep price for an unrenovated townhouse in SOHO. That location on VanDam is an unremarkable block wedged between high rises and lacks the charm of the West Village townhouses to the North. There are multiple listings for renovated homes in that price range.

I wondered if she bought it before she was a superstar--her first appearance at the Met was at the old opera house on 39th Street.

On 2/18/2024 at 3:43 PM, nycman said:

The planned renovation looks beautiful. 

It's always so sad when people take a charming character-laden and unique piece of history and turn it into some sort of generic sterile griege "airspace."

WWW.THEVERGE.COM

How Silicon Valley helps spread the same sterile aesthetic across the world

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2024 at 1:27 PM, Charlie said:

I wondered if she bought it before she was a superstar--her first appearance at the Met was at the old opera house on 39th Street.

Quite interesting quote in the article:

"It is an extraordinary footnote that Ms. Price was able to buy her Greenwich Village townhome in 1961, well before the Fair Housing Act of 1968. The Fair Housing Act prohibited discrimination concerning the sale, rental and financing of housing based on race, religion, national origin or sex."

On 3/2/2024 at 6:31 PM, nycman said:

Her jacket is stunning!

When people actually knew the names of Opera stars.

Indeed. Now most people don’t even know what opera itself is or worse, would even care to learn anything about it, which is one more symptom of the irreparable damage that anti-intellectualism has done to this country and to the democratic system upon which it was founded. Ignorance and stupidity run rampant. 

On 3/11/2024 at 5:25 PM, Walt said:

It's always so sad when people take a charming character-laden and unique piece of history and turn it into some sort of generic sterile griege "airspace."

WWW.THEVERGE.COM

How Silicon Valley helps spread the same sterile aesthetic across the world

Is it Silicon valley or the post-pandemic aesthetic?  I have noticed hotel rooms are invariably painted grey with bare floors, and I attribute it to a desire for the rooms to look "clean" as in literally "clean."

1 hour ago, Rudynate said:

Is it Silicon valley or the post-pandemic aesthetic?  I have noticed hotel rooms are invariably painted grey with bare floors, and I attribute it to a desire for the rooms to look "clean" as in literally "clean."

Good observation, but the trend toward grey, greige, etc. started a couple years prior to the pandemic. However, it might have accelerated that trend's spread.

4 hours ago, Italiano said:

"It is an extraordinary footnote that Ms. Price was able to buy her Greenwich Village townhome in 1961, well before the Fair Housing Act of 1968. The Fair Housing Act prohibited discrimination concerning the sale, rental and financing of housing based on race, religion, national origin or sex."

I was thinking the same thing.  

5 hours ago, Italiano said:

Of course, that didn't mean that before the Fair Housing Act it was impossible to sell a house to someone based on their race, etc. The former owner may very well have been pleased to sell the house to a young Black singer who was already in the news as a rising star on the international stage--he may even have been an opera fan. The FHA was passed primarily because of financial institutions that used different criteria for approving loans to certain kinds of buyers, sellers who refused offers based on their own prejudices, and housing associations that had covenants restricting who could buy in. I imagine that in 1961 it wouldn't have been that difficult in Manhattan for someone of Ms. Price's reputation to buy almost anything she could afford.

Edited by Charlie

On 3/23/2024 at 10:31 AM, musclestuduws said:

.... one more symptom of the irreparable damage that anti-intellectualism has done to this country and to the democratic system upon which it was founded. Ignorance and stupidity run rampant. 

I wouldn't say that ignorance and stupidity run rampant.  Priorities have (sadly) changed and people no longer seek the beautiful things in life, like art and good music.  Civilization will be doomed when the middle class stops putting an emphasis on academic excellence, which has not yet happened.  In the mid-20th century, when classical music venues regularly had sold-out performances, a smaller percentage of the audience had attended university.  College graduates are a dime a dozen today, but they never attended music history classes