Red Lobster endless shrimp $20! Yay or nay?

marylander1940

3 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

The shrimp is actually the go-to item at Red Lobster. ( Which annually prepares thousands of poorly cooked Lobsters ). Their shrimp dishes, however tend to be just fine.

I've always called it Dead Lobster... after all, they're not serving you live ones.

3 hours ago, DynamicUno said:

I haven't been to a Red Lobster in years, do they still give this biscuits at the table?

Ditto, and you can buy the biscuit mix at your local supermarket.

2 minutes ago, samhexum said:

Ditto, and you can buy the biscuit mix at your local supermarket.

I think I shall get a box and have a sub serve me a fresh hot batch in a golden basket covered with a fine linen napkin.  Then he will watch me eat them slowly while he kneels at my feet and I tell him in exquisite detail how warm and cheesy each one tastes.  If I am generous I will let him have a single morsel.

5 hours ago, DynamicUno said:

he will watch me eat them slowly while he kneels at my feet and I tell him in exquisite detail how warm and cheesy each one tastes. 

I'd forgotten about those. Now I'm craving Red Lobster. 😋

Normally I avoid chain restaurants...but occasionally when stuck in middle America I don't have much choice in the matter....so Red Lobster is a reasonable choice for a half-way decent meal. I think my go-to was called "Shrimp Three Ways"...and who doesn't love a good three way ? 😉

Was just at Red Lobster last week with a very nice client.   I had the Salmon bowl.   If you have a chance to go to Red Lobster,  definitely consider that.         I think it was $17.49,   but damn,  it tasted good.     No real opinion on the "Endless Shrimp" option.   It sounds good.   

I do have an opinion on "buffets"  in general.   The encourage the fat to get fatter.    I go to a Chinese restaurant regularly and eat a plate and a few scraps extra.   My plate is never piled.    I've seen people put away enough food for me for 3 meals easy.    I'm the perfect "pigeon"  for a buffet.     I pay the price,  but I never overeat.   My dietary approach with fitness almost never allows overeating.

14 minutes ago, ICTJOCK said:

I do have an opinion on "buffets"  in general.   The encourage the fat to get fatter.    I go to a Chinese restaurant regularly and eat a plate and a few scraps extra.   My plate is never piled.    I've seen people put away enough food for me for 3 meals easy.    I'm the perfect "pigeon"  for a buffet.     I pay the price,  but I never overeat.   My dietary approach with fitness almost never allows overeating.

Buffets aren't always the devil 😈 lol I make myself come up for air once in a while and that means eating foods and in amounts I don't typically eat...  Not even in nature does anything bloom all year 😂 I've always allowed myself to enjoy the joy of eating things I don't eat on a daily basis, life's not long enough not to 😎and sometimes it involves copious amounts of food that's part of the agreement and transaction 🤣 

Edited by Guest

12 minutes ago, Vin_Marco said:

Buffets aren't always the devil 😈 lol I make myself come up for air once in a while and that means eating foods and in amounts I don't typically eat...  Not even in nature does anything bloom all year 😂 I've always allowed myself to enjoy the joy of eating things I don't eat on a daily basis, life's not long enough not to 😎and sometimes it involves copious amounts of food that's part of the agreement and transaction 🤣 

I would agree,  special foods can be awesome and a great treat.   My point is,   I always eat in moderation.   More the amounts than the food at hand.    I like all fish.   Had a catfish dinner  (a little atypical for me) and it was fantastic.   But again,   ate at the level my fitness goals require.

One thing I remember with these endless shrimp/fish deals is that the initial portion might be regular size, but when you ask for more it seems they bring half-portions.  They control their cost and make you wait for each portion. Most people won't ask for more than a couple extra portions since they're filling up on the bread while they wait.

I'd prefer to go to a Korean BBQ/Hot Pot restaurant, where you order what you want from a tablet and it's an "all you can eat" for 90 minutes sort of deal.  That way you can get variety and, if you are at a good restaurant, get better quality meats & veggies (not to mention the broth) than you'd find at Red Lobster.

47 minutes ago, DynamicUno said:

One thing I remember with these endless shrimp/fish deals is that the initial portion might be regular size, but when you ask for more it seems they bring half-portions.  They control their cost and make you wait for each portion. Most people won't ask for more than a couple extra portions since they're filling up on the bread while they wait.

That's how it is at Applebee's as well with their all you can eat items.

• 2 months later...
On 9/22/2023 at 5:32 AM, Vin_Marco said:

Buffets are a waste for me - I don't have much desire to overeat.  One time, I was doing a contest prep and went out to eat with family.  I ordered salmon and asked for the sauce on the side.  They brought the meal and the salmon had sauce on it.  I asked to have them redo it as I had asked for it.  When theyt brought it the second time, everything was split up into little side dishes - way beyond what I had asked for - I thought they went way above and beyond, and I let them know how much I appreciated it. 

Edited by Rudynate
add content

@Rudynate you're a better man than me lol I live in extremes... I eat clean probably 90% of the year but that other 10% almost anything goes and in copious amounts... There's a hotel in Tahiti ( Bora Bora ) that has an outstanding 5 star buffet ( breakfast ) and I go for it! Also @purplekow knows of an awesome sushi place in New Jersey that I also go all out, balls to the wall lol 😂 stuff my face at. Talk about amazing pumps the following day! 🙌🏽💪🏽😎

I've always said that in most places if you smile and ask nicely they will provide food prepared exactly how you need it. 

Edited by Vin_Marco

3 hours ago, Vin_Marco said:

@Rudynate you're a better man than me lol I live in extremes... I eat clean probably 90% of the year but that other 10% almost anything goes and in copious amounts... There's a hotel in Tahiti ( Bora Bora ) that has an outstanding 5 star buffet ( breakfast ) and I go for it! Also @purplekow knows of an awesome sushi place in New Jersey that I also go all out, balls to the wall lol 😂 stuff my face at. Talk about amazing pumps the following day! 🙌🏽💪🏽😎

I've always said that in most places if you smile and ask nicely they will provide food prepared exactly how you need it. 

Surprisingly good all you can eat sushi place that Vin is determined to eat out of business.  

I did the Red Lobster AYCE shrimp recently.  It was $27, you have your choice of 6 preparations, 3 at first, more if you ask.  The best by far was the crispy dragon shrimp, deep fried shrimp with Thai sweet chili sauce.  The regular fried shrimp was good too.  The other choices -- skewer, scampi, alfredo, coconut -- were meh.

It was worth doing, once at least.  Although the location I went to had a lobster tank (with just 3 lonely lobsters in it), pretty sure it's just for show because Red Lobster serves only previously cooked, then frozen & reheated lobster tails.  But like @pubic_assistance said, the shrimp is just fine.

7 hours ago, marylander1940 said:

It's back and I had a Christmas celebration with friends at the Red Lobster in Alexandria Va! It was delicious!

I wonder how many million$ the promotion will co$t them thi$ time around.

7 hours ago, Vin_Marco said:

If you look like you, they do.  If you look like me, they pretend they don't speak English.

1 hour ago, BSR said:

It was $27, you have your choice of 6 preparations, 3 at first, more if you ask.  The best by far was the crispy dragon shrimp, deep fried shrimp with Thai sweet chili sauce.  The regular fried shrimp was good too.  The other choices -- skewer, scampi, alfredo, coconut -- were meh.

I'd rather stay home and order $27 of food from my local Chinese or pizza place, both of which have food I like at prices that are VERY cheap compared to similar places near everyone I know.  A benefit of living in a lower-income area than the people I know.

21 hours ago, Vin_Marco said:

You do you, as they say.   You might find, as you age, that you will need to find a new version of you to do.