Changing Diet and Workout Routine

adunn1992

1 hour ago, Rudynate said:

I have done it once - the prep wasn't as long as for a show - only 8 or 10 weeks.  But we did a peak week just like you would for a show. It was my first time posing for professional photographer so most of the pics were only OK, but my conditioning was spot on, and that was really the point -  to be in stage-ready condition just because. 

The longer the prep, the better has always been my philosophy. I've always believed it's better to cruise into condition, rather than crash into it with haste, and last minute extreme measures.

18 minutes ago, Vin_Marco said:

The longer the prep, the better has always been my philosophy. I've always believed it's better to cruise into condition, rather than crash into it with haste, and last minute extreme measures.

Up to a limit, I agree.  Jeremy Buendia, in a youtube video, said his contest prep was 6 months.  I'm a lot more comfortable with a 16-week prep than I am with a 12-week prep.  My trainer keeps himself almost stage-ready so that he can be ready pretty quickly.

Edited by Rudynate

17 minutes ago, Rudynate said:

Up to a limit, I agree.  Jeremy Buendia, in a youtube video, said his contest prep was 6 months.  I'm a lot more comfortable with a 16-week prep than I am with a 12-week prep.  My trainer keeps himself almost stage-ready so that he can be ready pretty quickly.

Six months is totally unnecessary lol 12- 16 weeks is plenty in my opinion. Generally speaking, I have kept myself 3 to 4 weeks away from being able to be in "photo condition" over the years, but there have been some exceptions and that's when nobody sees me lol. There is a photo in my RM ad where I am in the desert doing a lat spread. I went from zero to hero in five weeks. Lol I wouldn't do it again. Haste makes waste and requires extreme measures that aren't always the safest routes. I had partially torn pectoral muscle and I panicked and went straight into diet and cardio mode for five weeks and boom everything lined up that day. It was super hot out and it made my veins pop like crazy.

10 hours ago, Vin_Marco said:

@adunn1992 you mentioned diet in your post so I though this might be worth mentioning... you don't necessarily have to be a competitive bodybuilder, a model or an "aesthete" to reap the benefits of some form and variation of carb cycling. I've been on a  very strict diet for eight weeks and about three weeks ago,  started my carb cycling. I'll inbox you a photo that I took this morning. To paraphrase Professor Dr. Richard, Dawkins, "carb cycling, it works..... BITCHES!!!" 😂 

Thank you for the information on carb cycling, @Vin_Marco again thank you to everyone so far who has offered any advice, and contributed to the conversation. I have had my blinders on focusing on one aspect of my life, and instead of dialing in my workouts I really want to take the next step to better my overall health. Again, thank you for the advice. :)

Just now, adunn1992 said:

Thank you for the information on carb cycling, @Vin_Marco again thank you to everyone so far who has offered any advice, and contributed to the conversation. I have had my blinders on focusing on one aspect of my life, and instead of dialing in my workouts I really want to take the next step to better my overall health. Again, thank you for the advice. :)

You're quite welcome. Congratulations! I admire you more than you know. 🙌🏽

10 hours ago, Vin_Marco said:

That's an excellent idea, my man! I don't compete in bodybuilding, but for the last 10 years I've taken every single photo shoot as serious as someone who walks on the stage. The whole 9 yards, carbohydrate manipulation, water manipulation, even diuretics. Those photo shoots and target dates were my own personal "bodybuilding competitions". Target dates are wonderful, they can hold you accountable whether you compete that day or not is immaterial and inconsequential because if you've worked your ass off and followed the program and trusted the process 100% you will be the best version you've ever been. 
While my target date is October 18, I don't have a photo shoot planned and I don't know that I will anytime soon ... I'll do everything  I usually do to prepare myself for that day minus the diuretics, I just have no need for that anymore and as you know, it's not the low body fat that gets bodybuilders in trouble on stages,  it's the dehydration. 
On a sidenote, I'm going to Europe for just under a month with a wonderful client and I want to go at my absolute physical best.  I want to go under par ( with respect to very low bodyfat ) so that I can enjoy decadent food in moderation and if I train daily there, I'll come back par  🙂 that's the best you could hope for after almost a month in Europe 😜

Dehydration flattens you out.   My coach used to have me take an herbal diuretic  - Expel but none day of and day before. 

30 minutes ago, Rudynate said:

Dehydration flattens you out.   My coach used to have me take an herbal diuretic  - Expel but none day of and day before. 

Flat muscles are the least of the worries. The kidney damage..... seizures, coma, even swelling of the brain, death ☠️ 

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Vin_Marco said:

Flat muscles are the least of the worries. The kidney damage..... seizures, coma, even swelling of the brain, death ☠️ 

I have read that they are bad news, but Expel were the only diuretics I ever took.  I've never had that much of a problem holding water. 

1 hour ago, adunn1992 said:

I don't think I will be doing diuretics. My main focus will be better nutrition, diet goals, and changing up my workouts. Not looking to compete on the stage only looking to compete against my self by getting stronger, faster, etc.

IMG_6155.jpeg.e68ee13a36e82a46e1eb8ec11fd120f0.jpeg

4 hours ago, adunn1992 said:

I don't think I will be doing diuretics. My main focus will be better nutrition, diet goals, and changing up my workouts. Not looking to compete on the stage only looking to compete against my self by getting stronger, faster, etc.

There’s no reason to compete if you don’t feel it. I love it, and I have wanted to be a competitor since I was about ten years old.  But that’s me doing me.  You just have to look around you to know that achieving better than average fitness doesn’t require stepping onto a contest stage.

On 9/21/2023 at 2:18 PM, Vin_Marco said:

IMG_6155.jpeg.e68ee13a36e82a46e1eb8ec11fd120f0.jpeg

thanks for sharing, everyone. I am slowly starting to take baby steps in my health. One aspect of my life that I did not share in my inital post was changing my mindset. I hope this journey will give me a more positive mind and body connection. One where my mental and physical state are balanced. 

• 2 months later...
On 9/19/2023 at 11:16 AM, Rudynate said:

No a re-feed isn't a cheat.    A cheat is just that - when your coach tells you "go have a burger and fries tonight." A re-feed is when you increase your carbs  75 or 100 grams for a single day and then you go back to your previous regimen. And the additional carbs are just larger servings of allowed carbs.  Cheats are important - they actually aren't "cheats."  By taking a break every now and then, you are able to go back to your routine and stay on it.  Also, sometimes, before a competition, you need a large infusion of calories to remedy a "flat" look and a burger and fries is just what the doctor ordered.

Consider using the word Treat instead of Cheat, Cheat has negative connotations....you earned the treat enjoy it!

4 hours ago, JEC said:

Consider using the word Treat instead of Cheat, Cheat has negative connotations....you earned the treat enjoy it!

These are competitive bodybuilders - they don't have the baggage around food and eating that some others have.  So what it's called isn't that important. 

To answer the OP, I found the biggest positive impact on my health/fitness came from adopting intermittent fasting six months ago.

I’ve always eaten healthily, with very moderate consumption of sugar and alcohol. Now I eat only between 8am and 4pm. I found it a remarkably easy regime to follow.

• 1 month later...
On 11/26/2023 at 2:31 PM, MscleLovr said:

To answer the OP, I found the biggest positive impact on my health/fitness came from adopting intermittent fasting six months ago.

I’ve always eaten healthily, with very moderate consumption of sugar and alcohol. Now I eat only between 8am and 4pm. I found it a remarkably easy regime to follow.

WHY DOES STOP & SHOP HATE ME?!?!?

Stop & Shop The Bakery Traditional Pie Apple Crumb
Sale Price$1.75
Original Price$6.99

On 11/26/2023 at 2:31 PM, MscleLovr said:

Thanks for this validation.....I have been reading up on Intermittent Fasting, and am planning to start....though plan a "skip breakfast" regimen (timing just works best for me).  Skip breakfast, high protein/low carb lunch and regular (reasonable) dinner.  Glad it's working out for you.....Jack

On 1/15/2024 at 4:07 PM, samhexum said:

Sale Price$1.75
Original Price$6.99

HAHAHAHA.

I feel like this everytime I'm in Forest Hills, getting out of Orange Theory and walking past Martha's Country Bakery.

Their 10-layer cake makes me weak.

On 1/16/2024 at 6:28 AM, JEC said:

I have been reading up on Intermittent Fasting, and am planning to start....though plan a "skip breakfast" regimen (timing just works best for me).  Skip breakfast, high protein/low carb lunch and regular (reasonable) dinner. 

I worked with a nutritionist years ago to help manage my hypoglycemia. He said many health problems with Americans (including my hypoglycemia) are a result of not eating breakfast.

He said he recommends a large breakfast / moderate mid day meal / afternoon snack and very small dinner. So basically eating in descending amount of calories during the day. 

2 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

I worked with a nutritionist years ago to help manage my hypoglycemia. He said many health problems with Americans (including my hypoglycemia) are a result of not eating breakfast.

He said he recommends a large breakfast / moderate mid day meal / afternoon snack and very small dinner. So basically eating in descending amount of calories during the day. 

I remember when Dolly Parton lost her weight years ago she credited eating 6 small meals a day.  I tried a variation of that for years, but eating 6 large meals a day never seemed to get me to my goal.

On 1/15/2024 at 5:07 PM, samhexum said:

On 1/16/2024 at 7:36 PM, BenjaminNicholas said:

I feel like this everytime I'm in Forest Hills, getting out of Orange Theory and walking past Martha's Country Bakery.

Their 10-layer cake makes me weak.

3 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

(Doing my best Sally Field impression)

They like me!  They really like me!

According to the nutritional label, the apple pie has zero calories and zero sugars per slice.  I have never been so stoked in my life!

DAMN!  I knew I should have ordered two!

Edited by samhexum
because he's bored as hell

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I’m trying a new tactic: I deleted Grindr this weekend and will not re-download until I’m down at least 10 pounds… we’ll see if that works lol.  Keto worked very well for me two years ago, but I gained most of the weight back and haven’t been able to stay on the wagon since for more than a few days.