Do you want to lose a few pounds? Eat kids' lunch menu

marylander1940
This topic is 2253 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

A nutrition manager at a Texas elementary school lost more than 100 pounds by simply eating the same foods she encouraged her students to consume for breakfast and lunch.

"I was 260 pounds and I got a job as a nutrition manager but then I realized I wasn’t very nutritious so I decided to make a change," Tammy McRae said today on "Good Morning America." "That’s what made me want to lose the weight -- for my kids that I had to inspire to eat better."

Teacher Loses 115 Pounds, Documents Weight Loss on Instagram

Woman Ditches Yo-Yo Dieting and Loses 85 Pounds in 8 Months

She added, "I thought, well, let me join them."

McRae said she started eating breakfast and lunch from the cafeteria menu at Carver Elementary School in Baytown, Texas, every single day.

"I just stuck to the menu at our school," McRae said when asked if she made any other lifestyle changes to lose the weight.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/cafeteria-manager-sheds-100-pounds-eating-kids-lunch-132404623--abc-news-wellness.html

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A nutrition manager at a Texas elementary school lost more than 100 pounds by simply eating the same foods she encouraged her students to consume for breakfast and lunch.

"I was 260 pounds and I got a job as a nutrition manager but then I realized I wasn’t very nutritious so I decided to make a change," Tammy McRae said today on "Good Morning America." "That’s what made me want to lose the weight -- for my kids that I had to inspire to eat better."

McRae said she started eating breakfast and lunch from the cafeteria menu at Carver Elementary School in Baytown, Texas, every single day.

"I just stuck to the menu at our school," McRae said when asked if she made any other lifestyle changes to lose the weight.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/cafeteria-manager-sheds-100-pounds-eating-kids-lunch-132404623--abc-news-wellness.html

That's about the same as a "fist full of food"....in other words, your fist should cover the portion of food on your plate.

[url=http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/04/17/health-food-portion-control/2091865/][/url]

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/04/17/health-food-portion-control/2091865/

Your consumption and calorie intake should be based on sex, age and weight. I fail to see how a childs portion of food is substantial enough or healthy for an adult. IMO a lot of studies are simply bullshit. They are designed to spend the money that people donate for them, or else other people will end up stealing it. If I ate a childs portion, I would probably pass out.

That's about the same as a "fist full of food"....in other words, your fist should cover the portion of food on your plate.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/04/17/health-food-portion-control/2091865/

Well... we can always add an apple I did nutrisystem years ago and I had unlimited mushrooms, celery, salads and many other vegetables, it's all about portion control. I lost 30 lbs. and ended up saving money.

http://savinitup.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Nutrisystem3.jpg

http://itsafabulouslife.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/nutrisystem.jpg

Your consumption and calorie intake should be based on sex, age and weight. I fail to see how a childs portion of food is substantial enough or healthy for an adult. IMO a lot of studies are simply bullshit. They are designed to spend the money that people donate for them, or else other people will end up stealing it. If I ate a childs portion, I would probably pass out.

We're talking about an overweight adult who wanted to shed a few pounds, now we'll see if she can keep in shape.

Well don't forget, that doesn't include wine, the bread bowl and butter, appetizers, and desert with coffee and cream. ;)

Edited by bigvalboy

Portion control and shopping the parameter of the grocery store mostly is what helped me drop the pounds. I dont know what kids are eating in school these days but back in my day probably the healthiest thing was the made to order sammies and even that was questionable sometimes.

I can't remember any time when a school lunch was anywhere near healthy. We usually considered ourselves lucky when it approached marginally edible.

I agree that you should stick with the perimeter of the grocery store. I've been doing that for years because that's where I find things I like to eat. (Mom was a farm kid so I learned to eat like one.)

Portion control and shopping the parameter of the grocery store mostly is what helped me drop the pounds. I dont know what kids are eating in school these days but back in my day probably the healthiest thing was the made to order sammies and even that was questionable sometimes.

Hugs,

Greg

How are you Greg?

At 260 lbs. how did she get a job as a "nutrition manager"?

Only in America... Maybe the other applicants were even larger....

Btw I know an expert on healthcare who is around 350 lbs...

I knew a cardiologist whose weight was over 350 ... he dropped down to 180, I think on the Atkins diet ... and put it all back, with more.

Ok, I know white bread isn't the healthiest thing, but the white bread (the loaf, not the other one) in that photo does look de-lish.

• 1 year later...

The new Weight Watchers' program is superb; it just takes one to track what he or she is eating throughout the day. This can be done via the app which is on the phone as well as the net. The program is much better than previous ones from this magnificent company. It's designed to enable one to eat healthily and normally for life.

...refrain from eating too much "fast food" as well as processed ones as well. Eat those veggies and fruits which generate zero points on a daily basis. Eat half of a meal or a portion when at special outtings. [Three months ago I attended a special luncheon [event]. I ate half or a little over that was on my plate and a bit of cheesecake. ...lost that week in terms of weight.]

I rejoined in August of last year and have done rather well. I'm having to purchase a new wardrobe or have my current duds altered, especially my pants and sports coats and suits. I think I will have to purchase new shirts, which is all right, for I have been wearing my "good shirts" for a few years now.