Finnair starts weighing passengers. Will they be charge per pound later?

marylander1940
This topic is 2365 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Finnair has begun weighing passengers

Finnair has just begun a new program where it weighs passengers before take-off to help the Finnish airline collect more accurate data about weights on its flights.

Paivyt Tallqvist, director for media relations at Finnair, confirmed that the airline was weighing passengers on Tuesday and Wednesday at the Helsinki airport.

"So many people actually wanted to take part in this," she said, noting that the weigh-ins are voluntary and anonymous. "No one is forced on the scale."

About 180 people volunteered so far, which was more than expected.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/03/news/finnair-airline-weighing-passengers/index.html

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/money/dam/assets/171103122507-finnair-weighing-passengers-780x439.jpg

airline-weigh-passengers-finnair-874680.jpg

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It should be the rule.... its not.

Really? You mean they let people pay for only one seat even if their neighbour doesnt have his full seat because someone next to him is using 1.25 seat?

Maybe it is a US thing then because I have never seen on international flights (and I travelled quite a lot).

Several years ago, PBS (I think) did a series about the day to day activities that happen with an airline. I seem to remember it centered on Southwest at Midway in Chicago. In one episode, there was a "customer of size", and if I remember correctly, he was required to purchase the adjacent seat.

Finnair has begun weighing passengers

Finnair has just begun a new program where it weighs passengers before take-off to help the Finnish airline collect more accurate data about weights on its flights.

Paivyt Tallqvist, director for media relations at Finnair, confirmed that the airline was weighing passengers on Tuesday and Wednesday at the Helsinki airport.

"So many people actually wanted to take part in this," she said, noting that the weigh-ins are voluntary and anonymous. "No one is forced on the scale."

About 180 people volunteered so far, which was more than expected.

Can you say "selection bias," boys and girls?

I think with most airlines, the rule is that you have to buy 2 seats if you use more than 1 seat. Not based on weight, but amount of space you use.

Thanks! Makes sense.

Sooner or later they'll copy each other and do it... except Southwest or they would run out of passengers.

If you’ve ever flown the ubiquitous seaplanes in the northwest US and Canada, you’ve likely been weighed....

kind off... I flew DCA to Philly a few times on US airways and if the plane wasn't full the flight attendant would ask all passengers to move to the back.

Before yinz ask I was connecting in Philly...

I meant that those who agreed to be weighed will weigh less on average than those who refuse.

I don't know about that... besides only the airline representative knew the weigh and I guess it was all going to the computer directly. In the picture I can't even see if the passenger (or someone standing next to him or looking over his shoulder) can see the numbers. Looks like the data goes directly to the airline to analyze it.

Maybe in the future some airlines might suggest/offer a voucher/demand moving passengers from a heavier plane to a lighter one and save money. Some families traveling with kids might like that.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/money/dam/assets/171103122507-finnair-weighing-passengers-780x439.jpg

I don't know about that... besides only the airline representative knew the weigh and I guess it was all going to the computer directly. In the picture I can't even see if the passenger (or someone standing next to him or looking over his shoulder) can see the numbers. Looks like the data goes directly to the airline to analyze it.

Empirically, people who are self conscious about something will be less likely to reveal it, even if the information is supposed to be kept private.

Really? You mean they let people pay for only one seat even if their neighbour doesnt have his full seat because someone next to him is using 1.25 seat?

Maybe it is a US thing then because I have never seen on international flights (and I travelled quite a lot).

I have no idea where you're located. But in 90% of my USA flights I've had overweight seat mates that encroach on my space. That's the reason why I'm now flying in first class and avoiding coach class. IMHO this is a MAJOR problem with flights in the USA.

Southwest has had an excellent policy for years.

On SWA, a person of size can purchase the extra adjacent seat online. Regardless of the fare, etc... the second seat is the cheapest fare. Fatsos pre-board with kids, etc.... and they're given a small card to place on adjacent seat to indicate it's taken. Then, if the plane was not 100% sold out, the fare on the second seat is refunded (passenger needs to request after landing and all flight "load" data is in the system available to customer service reps.)

Other airlines dont have specific policies because they dont want to deal with it. Gate agents have the awkward duty to deal with it, and can require purchase of second seat. But no other airline (that Im aware of,) has the beneficial 2nd seat-fare and refund policy that SWA has.

Most big people hate the whole seating process. SWA has at least figured out a way passengers can handle it in advance, and get their money back if there was ample room on the plane.

And, candidly, giant people who know they need the second seat but refuse to handle it and infringe on their neighbor's space are doing no one a favor and just making things uncomfortable for everyone.

Could be they are just trying to get more current stats for the weight of the "average" passenger used when figuring weight and balance for dispatch.

If you read the article at the link in the original post....that’s exactly what it’s all about. No fat shaming etc.

I have no idea where you're located. But in 90% of my USA flights I've had overweight seat mates that encroach on my space. That's the reason why I'm now flying in first class and avoiding coach class. IMHO this is a MAJOR problem with flights in the USA.

90%? I have never had that even once.

We must be going to very different destinations.

90%? I have never had that even once.

We must be going to very different destinations.

Most likely different airlines. Some have been much more aggressive than others in shrinking the seats to get more passengers on. A lot of people don't realize that it isn't just "extra legroom" and "normal legroom" - United has up to five different seat pitches in the same cabin IIRC. So rows 10-20 might be 31.5" apart, 21-30 30.5" apart, etc. and in the last couple of rows the seats are even narrower also. United coach seats for me range from "tolerable" to "literally can't even sit in because my thighs are longer than the gap between rows." So since I travel alone, I just look for the cheapest first class fares and avoid the issue. They've also dropped a lot of first class fares to the point it's not that much more than the exit row once you've paid all the extra fees for that, realizing it's better to get the revenue than give those seats away for free to the frequent fliers.

Archived