Finnair starts weighing passengers. Will they be charge per pound later?

marylander1940
This topic is 2379 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Southwest has had an excellent policy for years.

On SWA, a person of size can purchase the extra adjacent seat online. Regardless of the fare, etc... the second seat is the cheapest fare. Fatsos pre-board with kids, etc.... and they're given a small card to place on adjacent seat to indicate it's taken. Then, if the plane was not 100% sold out, the fare on the second seat is refunded (passenger needs to request after landing and all flight "load" data is in the system available to customer service reps.)

Other airlines dont have specific policies because they dont want to deal with it. Gate agents have the awkward duty to deal with it, and can require purchase of second seat. But no other airline (that Im aware of,) has the beneficial 2nd seat-fare and refund policy that SWA has.

Most big people hate the whole seating process. SWA has at least figured out a way passengers can handle it in advance, and get their money back if there was ample room on the plane.

And, candidly, giant people who know they need the second seat but refuse to handle it and infringe on their neighbor's space are doing no one a favor and just making things uncomfortable for everyone.

That's a good policy but I wouldn't use the F. word.

Airlines require you to buy the extra seat, if your seat belt cannot fasten around you and an extension is required.

Unless that's a very recently implemented policy, its inacurate.

-------someone who has used an extension many many times without being required to purchase extra seat.

Didnt read it all, because I didnt want to register for the site.

People bearing the cost of their obesity will probably never happen -at least not entirely.

The health insurance industry floated the idea about 10 years ago... the burden would have been on employers to gather and report weights, and premiums would have been set accordingly. Employers didn't want to deal with it.

Although no one talks about it, its one of the reasons Universal Health coverage will never enjoy the same success in USA as other countries. We're a population with some of the worst and most irresponsible dietary behaviors on earth.

Several years ago, PBS (I think) did a series about the day to day activities that happen with an airline. I seem to remember it centered on Southwest at Midway in Chicago. In one episode, there was a "customer of size", and if I remember correctly, he was required to purchase the adjacent seat.

I saw that entire series on SWA. To this day I’ve never forgotten the Chicago Midway episode where the supervisor was called to handle a COS.

Btw...I believe the series was on A&E.

Does a seatbelt extension automatically mean spilling over into the next seat? Pregnant woman? Class of service?

Ok we are not talking about the same problem here, this discussion started with “ airlines charge 2 seats when you spill over to the next seat” .

You are right, I don’t care if your stomach touches the seat in front of you and therefore need 3 seatbelt extensions.

Does a seatbelt extension automatically mean spilling over into the next seat? Pregnant woman? Class of service?

If I was that person, I would complain to the airline. Why do I get only 3/4th of a seat?

I don't know if I'd complain, but I'd be unhappy.

Flight attendants are usually pretty good about scoping out available spaces..... people who are nice, or even shy & reserved about it, they'll try to help. Jerks who complain obnoxiously, flight attendants will exercise their authority and make a point to move the big person to a nicer seat, rather than the complainer. (Although I no longer travel for a living, I quickly learned that being extra-polite, smiling, even sympathizing a bit with flight crews, gate agents, hotel clerks, etc.... can result in astonishing upgrades, extras, etc.)

Seatbelt extension probably indicates spilling over, or at least filling out the seat fully. I don't believe a pregnant woman would need an extension, unless she was fairly large before pregnancy. Don't forget, at some point in a pregnancy, doctors usually discourage flying due to (very slight) possibility that air pressure changes can trigger labor.

Oddly, for a large person, a coach seat can be more comfortable in width than a business class seat. there's more total room in the upgraded cabins, but those arm rests don't raise, and they're solid sides, rather than open. That said, its still usually preferable up front due to leg room, shoulder room, probably have a wider arm rest or tray between seats, etc.

I don't know if I'd complain, but I'd be unhappy.

Flight attendants are usually pretty good about scoping out available spaces..... people who are nice, or even shy & reserved about it, they'll try to help. Jerks who complain obnoxiously, flight attendants will exercise their authority and make a point to move the big person to a nicer seat, rather than the complainer. (Although I no longer travel for a living, I quickly learned that being extra-polite, smiling, even sympathizing a bit with flight crews, gate agents, hotel clerks, etc.... can result in astonishing upgrades, extras, etc.)

Seatbelt extension probably indicates spilling over, or at least filling out the seat fully. I don't believe a pregnant woman would need an extension, unless she was fairly large before pregnancy. Don't forget, at some point in a pregnancy, doctors usually discourage flying due to (very slight) possibility that air pressure changes can trigger labor.

Oddly, for a large person, a coach seat can be more comfortable in width than a business class seat. there's more total room in the upgraded cabins, but those arm rests don't raise, and they're solid sides, rather than open. That said, its still usually preferable up front due to leg room, shoulder room, probably have a wider arm rest or tray between seats, etc.

Just to be clear I wouldn’t complain right there, but several days later through a formal complaint form.

Complaining to the attendant right there while seated next to a heavy person is kind of a dick move, that person cannot do anything about the sutuation, why make them feel bad?

Just to be clear I wouldn’t complain right there, but several days later through a formal complaint form.

Complaining to the attendant right there while seated next to a heavy person is kind of a dick move, that person cannot do anything about the sutuation, why make them feel bad?

There are options.

Quietly get out of your seat, go find an attendant in the galley, and politely tell them your concern. Assure them you dont want to embarass the large person. If possible, they might move you so that both passengers are more comfortable during the flight.

If they move you, when you return for carry-on or stuff, just be friendly and smile at former seatmate, quietly say. "they found me another seat so we can both be more comfortable." Unless the big person is a jerk, they'll appreciate it.

kind off... I flew DCA to Philly a few times on US airways and if the plane wasn't full the flight attendant would ask all passengers to move to the back.

Before yinz ask I was connecting in Philly...

OTOH, we were flying from Chicago to Osaka and were the only passengers in First Class on a 747, so they moved passengers up to First from economy to balance the weight.

The seats used to be wider: https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jul/29/incredible-shrinking-airline-seat-us-court-says-seat-size-a-safety-issue

This year, news leaked that American Airlines planned to order new Boeing 737 jets with just 29 inches (74cm) of pitch in the last three rows to make room for an extra row of premium-priced seats toward the front of the plane.

American Airlines chief executive Doug Parker said on Friday that after objections from customers and flight attendants, the airline backed off. Those rows will have 30 inches (76cm) of pitch, which is still a tighter fit than the airline’s current planes.

Flyers Rights said the average seat has become narrower too, shrinking from 18.5 inches (47cm) a decade ago to about 17 inches (43cm). The group got the judges’ attention.

Of course they can make the seats wider to satisfy everyone. Oh wait... it would cost them more.

Archived