Am I the only person who uses Siri?

Last night, I was having dinner with four other people at an Italian restaurant which had some TV's around the room. I saw Roger Federer playing tennis on one of the TV's, and I said "That can't be a game going on now, can it? Roger Federer's got to be at least 40 years old! Any of you know how old he is?". When no one knew, I pulled out my phone and said "Hey, Siri. How old is Roger Federer?". Siri responded "Roger Federer is 42 years old." Everyone else at the table started to crack up laughing. "You're the only person who uses Siri," one said. Siri seems like a quick, easy way to get this kind of information. Is using Siri really that odd?

Edited by Unicorn

8 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

Last night, I was having dinner with four other people at an Italian restaurant which had some TV's around the room. I saw Roger Federer playing tennis on one of the TV's, and I said "That can't be a game going on now, can it? Roger Federer's got to be at least 40 years old! Any of you know how old he is?". When no one responded, I pulled out my phone and said "Hey, Siri. How old is Roger Federer?". Siri responded "Roger Federer is 42 years old." Everyone else at the table started to crack up laughing. "You're the only person who uses Siri," one said. Siri seems like a quick, easy way to get this kind of information. Is using Siri really that odd?

I think it is weird when you are in public. However, who knows about all the new etiquette? I still feel uncomfortable when people answer the phone in public spaces, which I think can be an analogy here. Texting on your phone in public is in. Talking to your phone in public is out.

Not only do I talk to Siri when I am alone. I often speak to Alexa and, sometimes, even to Google. A few times, I even addressed Alexa as Siri and vice-versa. Fortunately, they do not seem to be jealous.

14 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

Last night, I was having dinner with four other people at an Italian restaurant which had some TV's around the room. I saw Roger Federer playing tennis on one of the TV's, and I said "That can't be a game going on now, can it? Roger Federer's got to be at least 40 years old! Any of you know how old he is?". When no one responded, I pulled out my phone and said "Hey, Siri. How old is Roger Federer?". Siri responded "Roger Federer is 42 years old." Everyone else at the table started to crack up laughing. "You're the only person who uses Siri," one said. Siri seems like a quick, easy way to get this kind of information. Is using Siri really that odd?

I dont use any of them. Find it creepy that you have this machine listening to you 24/7. And probably storing much of what it hears, including information I would consider private. If I need information, I just google it. 🤷‍♂️

I use it all the time.  I'm one of the first to get annoyed when friends are on their phones in a social situation. A couple of friends I go camping with every summer have turned into real phone addicts - phone calls with other people while they're sitting around the campfire, etc. That said, I wouldn't find what you did odd, it's part of the table's conversation.

9 minutes ago, José Soplanucas said:

I think it is weird when you are in public. However, who knows about all the new etiquette? I still feel uncomfortable when people answer the phone in public spaces, which I think can be an analogy here. Texting on your phone in public is in. Talking to your phone in public is out.

Not only do I talk to Siri when I am alone. I often speak to Alexa and, sometimes, even to Google. A few times, I even addressed Alexa as Siri and vice-versa. Fortunately, they do not seem to be jealous.

Reminds me of going into Wendy’s many years ago (my tastes have changed a bit) and asking for a Whopper. I wish that was intentional in a way but I don’t inflict my humor on people making do in the service industry.

2 hours ago, edinbrooklyn said:

Reminds me of going into Wendy’s many years ago (my tastes have changed a bit) and asking for a Whopper...

I feel a song coming on...

"...day when I was chillin' in Kentucky Fried Chicken
Just mindin' my business, eatin' food and finger lickin'
This dude walked in lookin' strange and kind of funny
Went up to the front with a menu and his money
He didn't walk straight, kind of side to side
He asked this old lady, "Yo, yo, um...is this Kentucky Fried?"
The lady said "Yeah", smiled and he smiled back
He gave a quarter and his order, small fries, Big Mac!
..."

3 hours ago, Unicorn said:

Everyone else at the table started to crack up laughing. "You're the only person who uses Siri," one said. Siri seems like a quick, easy way to get this kind of information. Is using Siri really that odd?

My hands don't work too well, and my fingers are chubby, so I can't text.  I have to dictate.  I can tell you Siri is not a baseball fan, because she always screws up names and game situations when I'm texting with my sister and brother in law.

3 hours ago, FrankR said:

I dont use any of them. Find it creepy that you have this machine listening to you 24/7. And probably storing much of what it hears, including information I would consider private. If I need information, I just google it. 🤷‍♂️

So Siri knows I like to listen to ELO or ABBA or Rick Springfield on youtube on my phone when I do dishes.  Let her try to blackmail  me.  I'm not ashamed!

3 hours ago, MikeBiDude said:
3 hours ago, FrankR said:

If I need information, I just google it. 🤷‍♂️

Oh yeah, that protects your privacy! 😂🤣 sarcasm intended.

I look it up in the encyclopedia.  I wear gloves so no one can track my fingerprints to the pages I was turning.

3 hours ago, marylander1940 said:

I guess most folks are team Alexa!

I have yet to use either.

I try not to use the voice responses on the telephone either.  I find it easier to press 1 or 2 for yes or no, and 0 for operator.  Now that most people have started using email and websites, I find the wait for customer service over the telephone has improved over the last few years.

Siri controls my entry access (front door, garage) and window treatments. Alexa everything else (ambient lighting, towel warmer, radiant heating etc). Task lighting is still manual as it is easier to control. Most things are automated to turn on/off at certain times or to activate when I return home (lights/ music). I was slow to adopting this tech but  these do make life easier. 

Edited by cany10011

I have Apple Car Play in my car and I often use Siri to make calls or respond to text messages.  I have one contact that I have used the same way of asking Siri to call for several years.  (It's a sub-listing under another header.)  Then, after an IOS software update, Siri said that person was not in my contact list and couldn't make the call.  Nothing had changed in my contact list and the person was listed exactly the same way.  I then tried a shortened version of the listing and it called someone who I don't even know and is not in my contact list.  I then said "F*** You Siri" and Siri responded "That's not very nice", which provided for a good laugh.

9 hours ago, Thomas_Belgium said:

You can type to Siri, I use it many times a day.

I know. Please read the rest of my post.

On 9/7/2023 at 2:44 PM, José Soplanucas said:

Texting on your phone in public is in. Talking to your phone in public is out.

That is what I meant. When I am in public, I also use Siri, but I text instead of talking to her.

On 9/7/2023 at 2:27 PM, Unicorn said:

I saw Roger Federer playing tennis on one of the TV's, and I said "That can't be a game going on now, can it? Roger Federer's got to be at least 40 years old! Any of you know how old he is?". When no one knew, I pulled out my phone and said "Hey, Siri. How old is Roger Federer?". Siri responded "Roger Federer is 42 years old." Everyone else at the table started to crack up laughing. 

I just read that Roger Federer was out with friends, pulled out his phone, asked Siri how old @Unicorn is, and nobody laughed at him.  I guess Europeans are just more tolerant and sensitive to their friends' quirks.

On 9/7/2023 at 2:27 PM, Unicorn said:

Is using Siri really that odd?

On 9/7/2023 at 2:44 PM, José Soplanucas said:

On 9/7/2023 at 2:44 PM, FrankR said:

On 9/7/2023 at 6:03 PM, Stormy said:

Siri turns off my flashlight for me.  That’s about it 

On 9/8/2023 at 4:36 AM, cany10011 said:

Siri controls my entry access (front door, garage) and window treatments.

On 9/10/2023 at 8:57 AM, RadioRob said:

Siri runs my house…. Locks/unlocks doors, sets the temperature, turns lights and fans on/off, plays music, provides intercom throughout the house and more. 

Siri's going to be unavailable for quite awhile... at least in Tampa:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/38383310/rays-siri-suffers-hand-fracture-out-indefinitely

Edited by samhexum
just for the hell of it

If Siri is out of commission, I can always use the old fashioned method and control the shades by pushing the app on my phone. Antiquated I know... but that's what I had to do when I asked Siri to raise my shades to "morning position" after the shades were lowered to "naptime mode" (which is different than bedtime mode) when I enjoyed some afternoon delights with one of my regulars. Siri refused to obey the command by mentioning "It is 5;45 PM". 

So i had to override Siri...lol.