This Is The “World’s Healthiest” Food

samhexum

I am going to buy a small package of watercress tomorrow to try it. I read an article the other day:

Watercress is often hailed as the “world’s healthiest food” due to its nutrient density and health benefits.

Is watercress the healthiest green?

The CDC assigns nutrition density scores to produce based on their concentration of essential vitamins and minerals. Usual suspects like spinach, chard, and beet greens all have scores ranging in the 80s. But the only vegetable to earn a perfect score of 100 is watercress.

Is it OK to eat watercress everyday?

When taken by mouth: When it is used long-term or in very large amounts, watercress is POSSIBLY UNSAFE and can cause damage to the stomach.

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Luv2play said:

I have never cone across watercress except in Victorian novels where watercress sandwiches were de riguer in the upper classes.

Dorothy: You know, I knew someone who went to this fabulous restaurant in Paris and just had watercress for lunch because, you know, she didn't want to gain weight. And then after lunch, she walked out of the restaurant and a gargoyle fell off the building, hit her on the head, and killed her.
Blanche: Oh, no.
Dorothy: I mean, look at what her last meal was.
Blanche: That is tragic, just tragic. 

• 7 months later...
On 8/5/2023 at 12:04 PM, samhexum said:

I am going to buy a small package of watercress tomorrow to try it. I read an article the other day:

Watercress is often hailed as the “world’s healthiest food” due to its nutrient density and health benefits.

Is watercress the healthiest green?

The CDC assigns nutrition density scores to produce based on their concentration of essential vitamins and minerals. Usual suspects like spinach, chard, and beet greens all have scores ranging in the 80s. But the only vegetable to earn a perfect score of 100 is watercress.

Is it OK to eat watercress everyday?

When taken by mouth: When it is used long-term or in very large amounts, watercress is POSSIBLY UNSAFE and can cause damage to the stomach.

On 8/24/2023 at 5:55 PM, Luv2play said:

I have never cone across watercress except in Victorian novels where watercress sandwiches were de riguer in the upper classes.

On 8/25/2023 at 1:59 PM, samhexum said:

I couldn't find it in the store that day.  But one these years I'll try some.

Finally bought some yesterday and threw a little bit into a wrap.  I expect Men's Health to call any minute to ask me to be on their cover.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/24/2023 at 5:55 PM, Luv2play said:

It's quite easy to grow. Find a spot in dappled sunlight and moist soil. It will take over quickly and provide you with plenty for a mix in your salads if you don't care for upper class finger-sandwiches.

Most every decent food hall in NYC will carry it but middle America chain supermarkets won't.

7 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

It's quite easy to grow. Find a spot in dappled sunlight and moist soil. It will take over quickly and provide you with plenty for a mix in your salads if you don't care for upper class finger-sandwiches.

Most every decent food hall in NYC will carry it but middle America chain supermarkets won't.

In this part of the country - almost any supermarket has it.