How's Your Summer Weather?

Luv2play

It's been awhile since we talked about the weather. How is it going in your neck of the woods?

Here in Mid Eastern Canada (near Montreal) the weather has turned very nice after a rather poor spring. We had some bad smokey days a couple of weeks ago and that may come back but right now is just perfect.

Sunny, warm and no humidity. And lovely clear fresh air. Heading to Toronto tomorrow and while the air won't be as good, I hope for continued good weather.

Edited by Luv2play
Typos

It's been so strange in Denver. Very wet, stormy and cool. We only broke 90 degrees on June 30th, which is almost absurdly late. Denver has had more rain in 2023 than Seattle. We've had close to 8 inches in just the last two months. Normally it's dry and kinda hot. Not unusual to see a few triple digits by now. Also kinda humid. Feels more like the midwest than Denver. 

47 minutes ago, Luv2play said:

It's been awhile since we talked about the weather. How is it going in your neck of the woods?

Here in Mid Eastern Canada (near Montreal) the weather has turned very nice after a rather poor spring. We had some bad smokey days a couple of weeks ago and that may come back but right now is just perfect.

Sunny, warm and no humidity. And lovely clear fresh air. Heading to Toronto tomorrow and while the air won't be as good, I hope for continued good weather.

Speaking for those two lakes upstream, could you try to keep the smoke on your side of the border?  Or at the very least make it maple syrup scented?

here in Az, our last rain of any amount at all was in mid-May (that's somewhat normal, actually)......right now, it's very dry, very hot, and very bright outside.....we're all anxiously looking forward to our summer rains (exotically called 'monsoons' by many here) starting in a few days, a much-heralded event in these parts......so anticipated is it that local news often starts their shows with "TEAM COVERAGE" about it raining somewhere in the area!

6 minutes ago, Pensant said:

Currently 54 and sunny on the island, with a high of 67. Sunny for the next 10 days with highs ranging from 67 to 76. Low humidity. We’re typically 8 to 10 degrees lower than Seattle in the late afternoon. Perfect summer weather.

I hate you! 😋  Another sunless day in NYC...

The NYT is reporting today that a heat dome has settled over the southwest affecting 50 million people from Texas to Arizona. Not a fun place to be unless you like being hunkered down in an airconditioned home or office. Tough on those who must work or live outside most of the time. Especially older folks who are less able to deal with extremes in temperatures.

2 hours ago, Charlie said:

After a cooler and wetter Spring and early Summer than usual here in Palm Springs, it is now very hot and dry (forecast of 119 for this coming weekend). We will be driving to central Texas next week, and I am not looking forward to it.

Is that not somewhat akin to leaping from the frying pan into the fire.

Edited by Luv2play

Here in Phoenix, we've had highs of 110 - 112 degrees for the past couple of weeks, thanks to the afore-mentioned heat dome. Our last rain was ~ 110 days ago and it is likely we won't see our first rain until August. June is typically very dry, followed by the North American Monsoon, which extends from July through September. I heard yesterday that Southern Arizona will probably have a normal monsoon season while Phoenix will experience a drier monsoon than normal. We also haven't had a haboob (dust storm) yet, but those are coming soon. While they are fascinating to watch from the comfort of one's home, they are no fun to drive in. 

The short-form answer, of course, is the weather has been "hotter than hell." 🌵🌵 :)🌵🌵

I’m spending my summer in Putnam County NY where there is no lack of rain. On Sunday we had a  record rainfall of over 8 inches. Flooding resulted in some road closures and a couple have been washed away. The lake I’m on rose over a foot causing some property damage and created a few wonderful falls. The nearby Croton Reservoir, which provides water to NYC, is at 100% capacity. Otherwise, it’s been a typical summer with hazy, hot, and humid weather. 

I had to fly out to Vancouver for a couple of days earlier this week to help with some family things, and the weather was beautiful.  Sunny and mid-20s (upper 70s F) with a slight breeze.  Few, if any bugs. It is hard to beat a good Vancouver summer - but I still cannot see myself moving there again because the cost of living is way too high for what you get, in my opinion.

Just a note to anyone thinking about a visit to Palm Springs right now: We are under an excessive heat warning (over 120 F.) and a hazardous air quality advisory (smoke from 3 wildfires burning north and west of us) for the next several days. Residents and visitors are advised to stay indoors as much as possible.

Furnace Creek at Death Valley, 200 feet below sea level, will reach 129F/54C degrees tomorrow (Sunday, July 16)......the low tomorrow night there will be 102F/39C.......

no, I'm not going to say 'but it's a dry heat'

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=36.46339000000006&lon=-116.88001999999994

Edited by azdr0710

I haven't been back to Geneva Switzerland in over two decades but when I lived there my luxurious apartment provided by my employer had no airconditioning. It wasn't necessary as the climate was very mild and summer temperatures rarely went above 80 F. 

In other parts of southern Europe the same obtained and most people got by without ac even though summer temperatures got higher than in Geneva.

Today I can't imagine living anywhere in Europe without ac. except perhaps on the coast way up north, like in Lapland. 

I live in a stone house built in 1865 and the walls are two feet thick. I don't have ac and so far have not needed to have it installed. We've only had a few days above 85f and the inside hasn't been above 79f. and cooler at night. 

Edited by Luv2play

• 2 weeks later...