How's Your Summer Weather?

Luv2play

Here in Eastern Canada we're having very nice weather. Mid 20's Celsius most days and beautiful mid teens at night for sleeping.

No need for airconditioning which is good since my 160 year old house has none. Two foot thick stone walls help to insulate it against heat and cold.

There has been some crazy thunderstorm activity in the region with the odd tornado but nothing too close to where I live. No real heat to speak of so far and only a month left of possible heat waves.

Really nothing unusual for Kansas.   We've had about 15 days above 100 this summer,  which is relatively normal.    Up until the last 2 weeks,  we had a "modest"  summer going so far.   We'll see how it pans out.   So long as I can go swimming  relatively frequently,  I'm good.   Sounds like parts of the country are less lucky.

On 7/31/2023 at 10:26 AM, Luv2play said:

No need for airconditioning which is good since my 160 year old house has none. Two foot thick stone walls help to insulate it against heat and cold.

That sounds like a marvelous old house. I’d love to live in a trophy house like that.

22 minutes ago, Pensant said:

That sounds like a marvelous old house. I’d love to live in a trophy house like that.

Here in Eastern Ontario we were blessed in the early 19th century with the building of the Rideau Canal, at the time an undertaking like the Erie Canal. 

All these Irish stonemasons were imported to make the locks and afterwards stayed in Canada to build houses all over the region. These houses are now approaching 200 years old and have stood the test of time.  

Edited by Luv2play

On 7/8/2023 at 10:40 PM, liubit said:

Very hot (upper 90s F) and unpleasantly humid (70%- 85%) here in Hong Kong. Summer is NOT the city’s best season…Looking forward to September. 

On 7/9/2023 at 1:27 PM, BenjaminNicholas said:

Texas is a hellhole, in more ways that just weather.  105-108 every day next week.

That's why I spend as much time away from the state during the summertime.

On 7/10/2023 at 7:26 AM, Luv2play said:

The NYT is reporting today that a heat dome has settled over the southwest affecting 50 million people from Texas to Arizona. 

On 7/11/2023 at 11:26 AM, rvwnsd said:

Here in Phoenix, we've had highs of 110 - 112 degrees for the past couple of weeks, thanks to the afore-mentioned heat dome. 

The short-form answer, of course, is the weather has been "hotter than hell." 🌵🌵 :)🌵🌵

On 7/31/2023 at 9:19 AM, Daytyle said:

Too hoooot. It seems that this year's summer is the hottest in my lifetime

2500384.jpg

On 8/6/2023 at 6:57 AM, Luv2play said:

Here in Eastern Ontario we were blessed in the early 19th century with the building of the Rideau Canal, at the time an undertaking like the Erie Canal. 

All these Irish stonemasons were imported to make the locks and afterwards stayed in Canada to build houses all over the region. These houses are now approaching 200 years old and have stood the test of time.  

My great-grandfather was a Canadian stonemason - but he was born in and lived in Quebec until he emmigrated to the US.

7 hours ago, Rudynate said:

My great-grandfather was a Canadian stonemason - but he was born in and lived in Quebec until he emmigrated to the US.

Some of the best stonemasons came from Quebec. They were hired by the gentry who wanted the best in workmanship. 

Montreal has probably the largest collection of stone mansions in any city in North America. What nationality was your great grandfather? Before his family came to Quebec?

1 hour ago, Luv2play said:

Some of the best stonemasons came from Quebec. They were hired by the gentry who wanted the best in workmanship. 

Montreal has probably the largest collection of stone mansions in any city in North America. What nationality was your great grandfather? Before his family came to Quebec?

French - his ancestor emmigrated from France in about 1670 and was a shoemaker in Quebec City.

On 7/16/2023 at 6:48 AM, Luv2play said:

...Today I can't imagine living anywhere in Europe without ac. except perhaps on the coast way up north, like in Lapland....

Ireland and Scotland will probably always be safe. 

On 7/16/2023 at 6:48 AM, Luv2play said:

...I live in a stone house built in 1865 and the walls are two feet thick. I don't have ac and so far have not needed to have it installed. We've only had a few days above 85f and the inside hasn't been above 79f. and cooler at night. 

image.jpeg.467c3ee1400dc3eeb270e8c40a88f22f.jpeg

😁

1 hour ago, Luv2play said:

Boy, those were the early days.  Are there any streets named after him?

I suppose there might be.  There is a Facebook group for people who have that surname and they say he was the first person in the new world with that surname.

4 hours ago, Rudynate said:

I suppose there might be.  There is a Facebook group for people who have that surname and they say he was the first person in the new world with that surname.

There is a street in Quebec with his son's name but not his.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Well, I started this thread last summer and the general response was that everyone everywhere was having a hot summer. So now we are in the dead of winter, supposedly, and today in Eastern Ontario it felt like a cool day in summer. Temperatures in the low 60’s and sunny. 
It’s been a mild winter so far with many daily records being broken for daily highs. There have been a few cold snaps and another is expected Weds night but then things are expected to warm up again to above freezing days. 
I personally love this kind of weather and my heating bills have plummeted so that is also a nice bonus. They’ve dropped by about a third compared to last winter. Also no snow plowing required. And don’t have to bundle up to go outside. 
What could go wrong???😑 

Nothing at all unseasonal going on here, mid to high 30s for the past fortnight and 40 forecast for tomorrow. Catastrophic fire weather warning for parts of western Victoria today, with one 22,000ha fire currently at 'watch and act' level and restrained for the moment in containment lines.

We had a very typical winter here in Las Vegas, neither warmer nor colder than average.  That probably means we'll also have a typical summer, i.e., 110° every single day from Memorial Day to Labor Day ... ugh! 

I love the weather in Las Vegas for 9 months of the year, almost perfect.  But the summers are H-E-double hockey sticks.