Gay Friendly Doctor on Long Island?

GeoMitch

8 hours ago, GeoMitch said:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a Gay Friendly primary care physician on Long Island?

Maybe I'm just displaying my ignorance, but isn't Long Island pretty long? Wouldn't it matter whether you lived in Montauk or Brighton Beach or Long Island City? Or when people say "Long Island," can one assume they're just referring to the Hamptons?

Edited by Unicorn

7 hours ago, Xavitv said:

I don’t think one would assume the Hamptons. It’s long, yes. Also, I know Brighton Beach and LIC are geographically part of Long Island, but nobody would think about these neighborhoods when talking about Long Island. 

Are you calling me a nobody?? 😄

them-fighting-words-my-little-pony.gif

Fout counties on Long Island proper.  Brooklyn and Queens are part of NYC and few refer to them as the Island.  Nassau and Suffolk are generally referred to as the Island or the Glsland if you so desire the g from Long holding on so long that it becomes part of Island.  Long Island is the longest island in the 48 mainland states.  That 110 or so miles can takes as long as 6 to 8 hours to traverse when the LIE is bumper to bumper.  

As to a gay friendly doctor there, you might PM NYCman on this forum as he is a doctor on LI and may have some primary care colleagues who are informed about gay health issues.  Yes, it definitely makes a difference when it comes to the health of gay men. 

Edited by purplekow

16 hours ago, jeezifonly said:

As a gay man, having a gay man as a primary physician reduces some of his questions during our visit. You’ll never be asked “why…?” You’ll find someone! 

I don't know how things are today but I remember when I was in my 20s I had a small problem with an anal fissure resulting from going to sex clubs and getting gang-banged by dozens of men over several hours.

I went to a doctor who was "in network" for my insurance who judged me for engaging in anal sex and started reciting biblical examples of how I've "sinned". I thought that was rather unprofessional no matter what his religious beliefs are. Especially considering ACTUAL Christians aren't supposed to pass judgment.

Taught me the importance of choosing a primary doctor and not using the one your insurance company issues.

Edited by pubic_assistance

10 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

...I went to a doctor who was "in network" for my insurance who judged me for engaging in anal sex and started reciting biblical examples of how I've "sinned"...

Egregiously unprofessional. I would have complained to my insurance company and to the state medical board. 

21 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

I would have complained to my insurance company and to the state medical board. 

I was young (21)  and a bit naive about such things. It DID seem "off", but I didn't know enough at that time to realize HOW unprofessional it was.

This was about 1992, and I had assumed this kind of pontificating about the sins of homosexual activity had been resigned to the deep South.

I was living in Pittsburgh PA at the time.

Older and wiser now. I chose a physician who is extremely worldly, experienced and open minded.

Edited by pubic_assistance
grammar

1 hour ago, Anthony said:

I've been looking for a new doctor as well. It's kind of hard finding one. Should I choose a male specifically? How old should they be? Can anyone provide what they look for in a doctor or PM me 

Well, recommendations from other health care professionals are always the best source, as well as those from friends, neighbors, and family. If those are unavailable, where the physician went to medical school and residency are rough indicators of intelligence. You might also want to pick one who didn't either just graduate from residency (some experience behind the belt), nor one who graduated over 25 years ago (might be close to retirement). When I picked my doctors after moving to LA, I picked two UCLA-trained physicians who were roughly 10 years out of residency, as I needed a PCP and dermatologist quickly (I had skin cancers which had to be removed). For any subsequent physicians (such as an orthopedist for my fractured arm), I took the advice of my PCP. 

22 hours ago, Unicorn said:

Well, recommendations from other health care professionals are always the best source, as well as those from friends, neighbors, and family. If those are unavailable, where the physician went to medical school and residency are rough indicators of intelligence. You might also want to pick one who didn't either just graduate from residency (some experience behind the belt), nor one who graduated over 25 years ago (might be close to retirement). When I picked my doctors after moving to LA, I picked two UCLA-trained physicians who were roughly 10 years out of residency, as I needed a PCP and dermatologist quickly (I had skin cancers which had to be removed). For any subsequent physicians (such as an orthopedist for my fractured arm), I took the advice of my PCP. 

How did you find the two physicians? Did you look them up using a specific website? How many reviews did you read before determining they are the one? Are you originally from Long Island? 

4 minutes ago, Anthony said:

How did you find the two physicians? Did you look them up using a specific website? How many reviews did you read before determining they are the one? Are you originally from Long Island? 

I just used the websites of the physicians themselves and their employers to look at their educational background. I don't place much emphasis on review websites, other than to make sure there's no bad stuff. I'm more interested in being able to trust the physicians' advice. I'm definitely not from Long Island. In fact, when I go to Fire Island in a few weeks for the Independence Day week-end, it will be my first time east of JFK airport (on the island). 

On 6/6/2023 at 6:28 PM, Unicorn said:

I just used the websites of the physicians themselves and their employers to look at their educational background. I don't place much emphasis on review websites, other than to make sure there's no bad stuff. I'm more interested in being able to trust the physicians' advice. I'm definitely not from Long Island. In fact, when I go to Fire Island in a few weeks for the Independence Day week-end, it will be my first time east of JFK airport (on the island). 

Are the websites associated with a medical group? Thank you for this advice. Started my hunt for a new doctor but I think there's too many options. How did you narrow down your choices to only two physicians? Always wanted to go to Fire Island and I've lived on Long Island my whole life 😂

Yes--look at their statements, interests, medical school, residency, and fellowships. Membership in AOA indicates the top 15% of their medical school class.

6 hours ago, Anthony said:

... I've lived on Long Island my whole life 😂

"I've lived all my life on planet earth" 🎵 This song always spoke to me since I, too, have lived all my life on planet earth.

Edited by Unicorn

On 6/8/2023 at 7:37 PM, Unicorn said:

Yes--look at their statements, interests, medical school, residency, and fellowships. Membership in AOA indicates the top 15% of their medical school class.

Should I look them up on social media and see who they really are as a person? 

2 hours ago, Anthony said:

Should I look them up on social media and see who they really are as a person? 

Just a touch creepy, but why not? At least you can make sure they're not kooks.

• 4 weeks later...