Portland Safety

Marzbarz

Hello, everyone.  I'm going to Portland soon, and I want to visit Silverado and Stag.  Portland's getting a lot of attention because of crime, so I'm wanting to inquire if anyone knows about the safety of the area.   Thanks for your thoughts.

Tho the whole of the city center is rougher that its been in years gone by, anyone used to the general personal safety rules of today's American urban life should be able to navigate the Rose City safely. Using Uber or Lyft to get around the city center could make sense for a gent traversing the spots of interest for us - the south and east sections of downtown are the roughest right now, and the clubs we frequent are along the northwest reaches of the center. The city leaders have been shamed into taking a more robust outlook towards homeless camping and panhandling, and this summer should tell the tale, whether the civil discourse can be maintained. Just avoid the young ruffian groups - there is no prospect of suitable company to be found there - and don't be walking around tipsy after a night o debauchery. Use a cab, stay safe!

I like to stay at the Hoxton, very close to Stag. It’s also near Chinatown. I’ve never had any issues walking around that area. Portland is far from being a dangerous city. Those rankings are generally in the Southeast and especially the river cities.

WWW.KPTV.COM

Despite frequent negative media coverage, Portland is not even close to one of the most dangerous cities in...

The media always exaggerate things a bit in order to keeps folks watching. The murder rate in Portland is certainly not as high as in some of the poorest states of the country but burglaries, shoplifting, car break ins, and other property crimes have been on the rise and now are slowing coming back to pre-pandemic levels.

@Marzbarz Just avoid walking around with your iPhone in your hands unless you absolutely have to use it, know where you're going and you'll be ok. 

675px-Intentional_Homicide_Rate_by_U.S._

ZFM3WOHMZREXTFRRKZEMMPMILE.jpg
WWW.OPB.ORG

A rise in crime during the pandemic across most of Oregon’s largest cities — including Portland — is abating, according to a new state analysis of preliminary federal...

Screen%20Shot%202022-05-31%20at%205.27.4
WWW.PORTLAND.GOV

Interactive report summarizing the type and number of report offenses by Neighborhood.

1 hour ago, marylander1940 said:

The media always exaggerate things a bit in order to keeps folks watching.

correct - and  the media will prioritize sensational reporting to keep people watching. 
Example - subway crime in New York City.  About 4 million people ride subways daily (post pandemic) and crime is very low relative to overall ridership, yet it’s always sensationalized because it’s the largest US media market, almost all news organizations NYC based and it generates national interest.  However, when viewing New York City overall crime rate - it doesn’t even make it to the Top 20 US cities.  NYC comes in at number 42 for combined incidence of violent crime, while cities like Indianapolis, Tulsa & Anchorage are in Top 20, yet almost no national reporting in those cities because there is no interest. St. Louis and Detroit seem to get mentioned sometimes given they both top crime rate lists, yet almost no reporting of other problematic cities.

So, there are two factors at work.
Money - media organizations make more money when more people watch or read.  The key to more people is more sensational reporting.  Reporting on sensational crime in NYC is about as easy as it gets and ensures national headlines/interest. Nobody cares about similar sensational crimes in Anchorage.

Narrative - it confirms what many people already believe that certain cities like New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco & Portland are the most dangerous.  People like to get their beliefs confirmed in the media they consume.  When something is presented that is contrary to their beliefs, they usually go elsewhere.  It’s on both sides of the political divide and it is not a partisan issue - it’s human behavior in 2023 where consumers can select their media. 

FYI - Portland comes in at #62 in terms of incidence (per capita) violent crime.  The OP is likely safer visiting Portland than almost any other US city. Interesting what happens when you actually look at statistics and start to think.

Edited by SouthOfTheBorder

1 hour ago, Lucky said:

How has the legalization of small amounts of recreational drugs affected Portland?

probably the same as the other 20 states/cities with legal recreational marijuana sale & consumption.  
It’s too widespread across the country to be a bigger problem in Portland than other places. 

Edited by SouthOfTheBorder

10 minutes ago, Lucky said:

Possession of drugs such as heroin, cocaine and methamphetamine will no longer be punishable by jail time, but instead amount to something similar to a traffic ticket.

you referenced “recreational” drugs, not drugs that have been decriminalized.  there’s a difference in terminology. recreational generally refers to legalized recreational marijuana in some states vs legalized medical use marijuana in others. 

and Portland doesn’t have an out-of-control crime wave anyway - it’s #62 on the list with 61 other cities with bigger problems.  you’re looking for the cause of a problem that doesn’t exist relative to current & comparative US crime trends. 

Sorry to report, but I’m in Portland now and just took an Uber to Silverado and Stag.  The area looked awful, and I’m from Detroit.  The Uber driver was concerned and told me not to get out of the car- that it was a very bad area.  So I didn’t.  I’d asked at the hotel the day before about walking to Powell Books nearby but was told to take the tram because the area was bad.

Any suggestions for a plain old gay bar in a safer part of town?

Damn, I wanted to see naked men so bad.

Other parts of town look fine.  

Edited by Marzbarz

On 5/15/2023 at 7:28 PM, Marzbarz said:

Hello, everyone.  I'm going to Portland soon, and I want to visit Silverado and Stag.  Portland's getting a lot of attention because of crime, so I'm wanting to inquire if anyone knows about the safety of the area.   Thanks for your thoughts.

Oh, I stop in there frequently… I lived there for 26 years. I still consider Oregon Home and go out of my way to visit there. Any chance I can get. And I walk around their day and night and pretty much any part of town and I’ve never had a problem. It actually seems that Portland has tidied up the homeless problem there. People from Portland complain a bit about the traffic but, really the only traffic is Vancouver traffic. The rest is easy in comparison to other cities around the country~ I personally find Seattle to be much more tragic, Violent, Dirty & broken when it comes to cities over all and find myself being uneasy/concerned more about walking around in San Francisco, Miami or Fort Lauderdale than I ever would in Portland~ 

The images below are only to show that I walk around there in the wee hours of the morning and in every part of town~ I’ve never felt threatened but, to each their own comfort level~ 

50024116-876B-4260-96F2-15E335AD42D1.jpeg

1F915437-0642-4B4D-8181-54DB65027FDD.jpeg

BA3B1E51-F7DA-41E6-981B-816B7B594738.jpeg

1A4EC42E-AB9B-44BF-9902-455CB89A696D.jpeg

CA4C8A20-0F89-4EA4-8A5B-19E026919914.jpeg

12964DAE-F339-4C58-BF71-638AF01EA081.jpeg

BC0A0A37-6D66-4F36-857C-5D727E304A5A.jpeg

A1501F3D-F93E-4682-A4A3-2A86E21F2CE8.jpeg

Edited by Tygerscent

On 5/23/2023 at 5:37 PM, Becket said:

Good to hear from a resident that Portland is not as terrible as it is made out to be on TV.  It is a fascinating city and I grieve not being able to visit because of all the negative publicity. Makes me want to get back out there again. Thanks.

The media greatly exaggerates the reality of Portland, and paints a very in accurate picture of the city. Most people don’t know the history of Portland, what people are trying to protect their and why~  
 If somebody was to single out the violence and despair in cities, like Florida  or New Orleans… It would make Portland look like a high tea Jubilee party. 

Edited by Tygerscent

On 5/24/2023 at 7:38 AM, Lucky said:

How has the legalization of small amounts of recreational drugs affected Portland?

Quite frankly, I see much bigger problems with drugs in Seattle, Austin, Texas, San Antonio, Texas, San Francisco, all kinds of places in Florida, Missouri, Arizona and DC~ 

On 5/24/2023 at 12:48 PM, Lucky said:

Portland didn't just legalize marijuana. Possession of drugs such as heroin, cocaine and methamphetamine will no longer be punishable by jail time, but instead amount to something similar to a traffic ticket.

ACMJL6YTC5ETXCHZ2XA4OVHGEY.jpg
WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

With Oregon being the first state in America to decriminalize possession of personal-use amounts of heroin...
WWW.STATISTA.COM

This chart shows key developments since Portugal decriminalized drugs in 2001.

It’s a bit early to tell exactly how things are going because it’s a new approach not only in Portland, but in the states~ My understanding is that Portland, Oregon is the first to do it here in the states. 
 For a number of years, I ran a needle exchange program, along with my homeless provision program, (which I’m still currently doing in reference to homeless provision program)… some people thought of that as condoning/encouraging the use of heroin or other drugs that can be administered using needles but, really the goal was to reduce the spread of HIV and hepatitis C among people who use drugs regardless of laws prohibiting them: ie., shooting up with dirty needles and sharing them~   
 There’s a lot of stigma around mental illness and drug abuse, (in the homeless population both can be a concern), and that stigma can generate fear and resentment/anger/confusion of the unknown~ 

Edited by Tygerscent

16 hours ago, Marzbarz said:

Sorry to report, but I’m in Portland now and just took an Uber to Silverado and Stag.  The area looked awful, and I’m from Detroit.  The Uber driver was concerned and told me not to get out of the car- that it was a very bad area.  So I didn’t.  I’d asked at the hotel the day before about walking to Powell Books nearby but was told to take the tram because the area was bad.

Any suggestions for a plain old gay bar in a safer part of town?

Damn, I wanted to see naked men so bad.

Other parts of town look fine.  

Sorry to hear about your experiences.  When I was last in Portland in 2019, I gave up walking to/from Stag after dark for my own safety.  But I still felt safe enough to take the light rail to Silverado.  It's a pity you didn't make it in, it is great inside.

Thank you for sharing, so others like you and I who aren't as accustomed to frequent encounters with the mentally ill, homeless, and drugs can be aware of what to expect and plan accordingly.

3 hours ago, Marzbarz said:

Thanks, Vegas.  If I’d been with a group, but I was by myself, and the Uber driver was having a mini-meltdown.

Yeah, I’d like to have gone inside….

If you're still in Portland, why not give Silverado another chance?  Uber there before nightfall.  They have a doorman right inside collecting cover charges.  When you leave, wait inside until your Uber arrives.

Thanks, sir.  I've already left, but my last day there I took the streetcar to Powell's and then walked to both places - it was about 4pm.  Burnside is OK, but it got dicey once I got to the side streets.  I felt safe enough during the day.  BTW, Silverado has a Couch Street address, but it's entrance is on the side street, 6th Avenue.  This was confusing to me and the Uber driver - we couldn't find the place.  I don't believe "Silverado" appears on the building on the Couch Street side.  Maybe I'm wrong...

I did go in Stag and had a drink - there were some dancers there.  

Maybe next time I go to PDX I'll try again.   Thanks for your suggestion...

• 4 weeks later...

As a frequent visitor to Portland (and many other cities to compare it to), the anxiety expressed on these posts is highly exaggerated. It’s true that the streets of Old Town and the Pearl District contain their share of houseless inhabitants, but I would certainly not be scared away.  (The Uber driver, “don’t get out”? Really?)

• 2 weeks later...

I think it comes down to if you look like a tourist, or not.  If you look uncomfortable, lost, confused.  I always use google to map out where I’m going, look at street views, what’s nearby, a Hilton or Marriott, decent restaurants?  If there isn’t much recognizable in a block or two….I pass.