Portland Safety

Marzbarz

On 5/24/2023 at 8:01 AM, SouthOfTheBorder said:

probably the same as the other 20 states/cities with legal recreational marijuana sale & consumption.  
It’s too widespread across the country to be a bigger problem in Portland than other places. 

Are you implying pot should be illegal? 

Is there a connection between legalization and encouraging folks to commit other crimes?

On 7/1/2023 at 12:08 PM, BALCONY said:

As a frequent visitor to Portland (and many other cities to compare it to), the anxiety expressed on these posts is highly exaggerated. It’s true that the streets of Old Town and the Pearl District contain their share of houseless inhabitants, but I would certainly not be scared away.  (The Uber driver, “don’t get out”? Really?)

Agreed! 

In the meantime, the most allegedly God-fearing states in the country have so much in common with living conditions in third world countries...

brain-on-fox-58b8f77b5f9b58af5cb7cb15.jp

On 7/14/2023 at 11:41 PM, marylander1940 said:

Are you implying pot should be illegal? 

Is there a connection between legalization and encouraging folks to commit other crimes?

Agreed! 

In the meantime, the most allegedly God-fearing states in the country have so much in common with living conditions in third world countries...

brain-on-fox-58b8f77b5f9b58af5cb7cb15.jp

On the contrary...I loved looking at the men when I was in the Bible Belt of Tennessee.  I could live in the South someday.

I used to like to visit Portland annually (getting back to the topic), but I passed my usual trip this year again until the unhoused/mentally unstable/drugged population is not running the city.  What's the point in a "walkable" city if the sidewalks are overrun with tents, trash, and bodies.  I do miss the Silverado.

Was just at Silverado last week.  Area is a little sketchy but if you walk with confidence it cleans up only a couple blocks away.   The bigger issue is the dancers.  I checked it out several nights and the entire time 75% of the dancers never got totally naked.  The ones that did were not the best looking of the bunch.  IMO not worth a special trip but if in the area check it out but don't expect the hottest guys to get naked.  You will see the same if not more at Mickey's in Weho! 

On 7/25/2023 at 4:45 AM, Blackout351 said:

Thank you for the update. But are there hot guys that dance there even if they don't get naked and can you get lap dances there?

Yes they do lap dances ... but seems ridiculous to allow total nudity and have 75% of the dancers not get totally naked.  Why bother? 

On 7/29/2023 at 1:18 PM, Jocktop69 said:

Yes they do lap dances ... but seems ridiculous to allow total nudity and have 75% of the dancers not get totally naked.  Why bother? 

Yes. I understand but is it a function of getting enough dancers? Maybe they have a hard time hiring if nudity is mandatory?

38 minutes ago, Blackout351 said:

Yes. I understand but is it a function of getting enough dancers? Maybe they have a hard time hiring if nudity is mandatory?

At the end is a guy's choice and it will certainly affect his business. Maybe some are afraid of being filmed naked by someone who will never hire them anyways and post it online. 

It's easy to hide a camera and take pictures/videos.

Back to the issue of safety. In all cities big or small things could happen, put the phone in your pocket and don't browse while walking on the sidewalk, "be aware of your surroundings" is more than just a catchy phrase is something we must do! 

I wouldn't walk at night in New Orleans in towards Esplanade Ave. is lonely, I would remain n Bourbon Street and walk towards Canal Street. 

On 7/25/2023 at 7:45 AM, Blackout351 said:

Thank you for the update. But are there hot guys that dance there even if they don't get naked and can you get lap dances there?

There are lap dances but, unless it's changed recently, they're often on the open-railing balcony over the bar in plain view with a beefy employee sitting there by you (looking the other way). Not perfect for people who like more privacy. (I hope that setup has changed). The guys are nice.  

On 7/29/2023 at 4:18 PM, Jocktop69 said:

understand, the guys make much more off "private" lap dances than tips so their incentive is to hold back more to sell. "Why buy the cow" etc, etc. 

Edited by tassojunior

On 8/4/2023 at 4:18 PM, tassojunior said:

There are lap dances but, unless it's changed recently, they're often on the open-railing balcony over the bar in plain view with a beefy employee sitting there by you (looking the other way). Not perfect for people who like more privacy. (I hope that setup has changed). The guys are nice.  

That's been years ago.  Sometime in 2018, Silverado moved to a new location.  The dancers are now in the basement.  The private dances are also in the basement, behind a thin curtain.