Au revoir, Tucker Carlson!

samhexum

Tucker Carlson is, er, was the king of cable news.  His ratings were far higher than his Fox peers (Hannity, Ingraham, Watters) and multiple times higher than the highest-rated shows on CNN & MSNBC, e.g., Carlson 3.3 million vs. Anderson Cooper 868K.

Wherever he goes, it might take a bit for him to rebuild his following, but I expect him to gain far more followers in the long run.  He should do at least as well as Joe Rogan, for example, whose Spotify podcast averages 11 million.

Rush Limbaugh used to get 15.5 million listeners who tuned in at least once a week and earned $84.5 million a year.  Tucker should shoot for, at the very least, 20 million listeners and $100 million.

Given the abrupt nature of the change, I'm assuming his contract is being paid out or that he's getting a rather nice golden parachute.  So on top of whatever is next for him, I expect he still managed to land a payday.  

I'm not a fan of the guy, but generally that's how things go at that level.  Especially given the contracts involved.  

1 hour ago, BSR said:

...Rush Limbaugh used to get 15.5 million listeners who tuned in at least once a week and earned $84.5 million a year.  Tucker should shoot for, at the very least, 20 million listeners and $100 million.

Thomas Sowell Quote: “When you want to help people, you tell them the  truth. When you want to help yourself, you tell them what they want to h...”

18 hours ago, samhexum said:

Don't let the door hit you on the way out!

The View's Studio Audience Erupts in Applause at Tucker Carlson's Fox News Departure Announcement

Pure fascist political post. Celebrating the complete takeover of American press by the CIA propaganda machine supporting American perpetual war and death 24/7 with the fascist regime's narratives and censorship making every good American a robot repeating the day's narrative. Truman warned when starting the CIA (and again after JFK's assassination) that it would eventually become a domestic propaganda machine. We're there. Welcome to 1933 Germany folks.   

Edited by tassojunior

10 hours ago, RadioRob said:

Given the abrupt nature of the change, I'm assuming his contract is being paid out or that he's getting a rather nice golden parachute.  So on top of whatever is next for him, I expect he still managed to land a payday.  

I'm not a fan of the guy, but generally that's how things go at that level.  Especially given the contracts involved.  

I read Fox will pay out the rest of his $20 million yearly contract until 2026.

27 minutes ago, sync said:

I have my suspicions that part of Carlson's departure includes a hefty nondi$closure agreement.

Why would that be necessary? To me seems unlikely given the nature of his abrupt termination. I don't believe any negotiations took place.

1 hour ago, tassojunior said:

Pure fascist political post. Celebrating the complete takeover of American press by the CIA propaganda machine supporting American perpetual war and death 24/7 with the fascist regime's narratives and censorship making every good American a robot repeating the day's narrative. Truman warned when starting the CIA (and again after JFK's assassination) that it would eventually become a domestic propaganda machine. We're there. Welcome to 1933 Germany folks.   

Your post has crossed the line into politics and should be deleted by the administrators imo. 

4 minutes ago, Luv2play said:

Why would that be necessary? To me seems unlikely given the nature of his abrupt termination. I don't believe any negotiations took place.

I have no doubt there is a lot of dirt, past and present, that Murdoch wants kept from the light of day.  

I think that Carlson has had an impressive career. I remember him from his time at CNN. I don't really watch Fox News, so I have very little knowledge of his time there outside of a few clips that I've seen online, and articles I've read.

Without making a political statement, I will say that the distaste some people here, have for the man is emblematic of the on-going SOCIAL split down the middle in this country. You have some who are calling for drastic "progressive" change while others have a great distaste for the excessive reach of these changes. Carlson simply represents the population of people who cherish certain components of American culture and don't wish to see them washed away. I don't necessarily agree with status quo-ism but I certainly understand how people can, and do cling to the past. So I don't condemn him or anyone for that matter who leans conservative as a way of holding on to what works for them. "Don't fix what isn't broken" is their mantra and that was Tucker's too. Unfortunately he often speaks from a bubble of society that remains deliberately oblivious to struggles in other communities. For that I am critical of his somewhat patrician viewpoint on sociological changes.

What I do respect about Tucker Carlson is that he has always kept pounding on the very anti-corporatocracy viewpoint, that I share myself.

I expect with that, he will struggle to find a big money sponsor since the American Media is now completely infested with PRO Global Corporate propaganda.