Are you getting enough sleep?

SundayZip

I frequently read statements from health experts that we need, at minimum, 7 to 8 hours of sleep every night. They say that less than that has negative consequences such as lower cognitive ability, increased cancer risk, a shorter life span, impaired immune system and more. If I sleep 7 hours (or more) it's probably because I'm ill or have been sleep deprived. for a day or two... so I find all warnings about my supposed sleep deprivation disconcerting. 

From reading the Lunesta/sleep aides thread, I know that others struggle with getting enough sleep.  Do you have a target number of hours you feel you should be sleeping every night? If so, how does that compare to the number of hours you actually get? I'm usually at under 6 hours per night but feel that I should be at 7. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2023 at 9:41 AM, Rod Hagen said:

Urinal next to the bed will help you fall right back to sleep.

Many years ago, a very attractive man told me he would like to chain me at the foot of the bed so he could use me as a urinal during the night. That killed all my romantic fantasies. I politely told him that I didn't think we were a good fit for one another.

The older I get, the less sleep I get, because I need to use a urinal at night. I go to bed most nights at 9, and would like to sleep 8 hours, but I rarely manage to get more than 6, because once I get up to go, I have difficulty falling asleep again. To my surprise, one night last week I slept for ten hours straight, but then I felt lethargic for most of the day.

I threw away my alarm clock when I retired several decades ago. Now I just wake up when I am ready to face the day. Most evenings I read in bed before putting put the lights. I know when to do that when I find myself unable yo comprehend the text. Haven't had a television for over two years.

I average 8 hours sleep generally but get up oncebin the night to have a pee. During the day I am alert and busy and find I am not napping in the afternoons as I once did. But then I am 75 and supposedly don't need as much sleep.

On 4/3/2023 at 9:41 AM, Rod Hagen said:

Urinal next to the bed will help you fall right back to sleep.

Some people sleep well when they're in the slammer.

Pennsylvania inmate's arm stuck in cell toilet for hours - CBS News

I usually get 8 hours of sleep.  But I typically get up to pee once, about 2-3 hours after I fall asleep, and go right back to sleep (and I don't wash my hands! ewww).  And I probably briefly wake up and open my eyes and glance at the clock maybe every 1.5 to 2 hours, and most of the time I just fall back asleep.

I just got a "white noise machine" a couple weeks ago -- because an acquaintance mentioned having one.  Ever since I started using it, I seem to open my eyes much less often in the night.  I thought that machine was just supposed to drown out other sounds (like barking dogs), but somehow the sound seems to lull me to sleep.  A little bit like falling asleep when I was a child in the car when my parents were driving us somewhere.

Two Costco Sleep Aid pills and some melatonin about 30-45 minutes before target bedtime. White noise machine is now nearly mandatory for me. Loose comfortable cotton gym shorts and t-shirt. Memory foam topper and a down comforter. Decent sleep unless I have an early morning plan, in which case hourly peeks at the clock!  Damn!  

I joined the CPAP club a few years back. I find I need to wear it otherwise my sleep is shit and I'm useless the next day.  I average about 6-7 hours based off the tracking app.

As I get older, I find I have to be more disciplined about when I go to sleep.  Getting up isn't a problem I have 55lb white Shepherd mix that channels his Siberian Husky high pitched loud yip as soon as the sun is up. If I ignore the yips, he will move on to pawing at me until I wake up.   Who needs an alarm clock?  

On 3/27/2023 at 6:55 PM, sync said:

My ding dang bladder allows me only 2 to 3 hours of sleep at a time.

I usually grab a nap in the afternoon and turn in around 12:30AM to be up again about 7:00AM.

I used to have the same problem.  When it got to the point that I was waking up every 1.5-2 hours, I sought out a urologist.  He gave me a couple of prescriptions, 1 to shrink my prostate, 1 to calm down my bladder muscles.  Now occasionally I have to wake up once per night to pee, but most nights I sleep through no problem.  My overall health, including my mental health, is much improved now that I am sleeping 8 hours uninterrupted.

9 hours ago, BSR said:

I used to have the same problem.  When it got to the point that I was waking up every 1.5-2 hours, I sought out a urologist.  He gave me a couple of prescriptions, 1 to shrink my prostate, 1 to calm down my bladder muscles.  Now occasionally I have to wake up once per night to pee, but most nights I sleep through no problem.  My overall health, including my mental health, is much improved now that I am sleeping 8 hours uninterrupted.

I've been taking a prostate-shrinking prescription for about a year, which has helped.  I used to have to uninate every 20-30 minutes.  The demand having been reduced to 2-3 hours was big for me, but your progress is an inspiration for me to consult my physician for a possible next step towards even greater relief.

Thank you.