Walking the dog today....

great video @Unicorn   ....geography nerd that I am and for those not familiar with the area, I believe at 0:06 is Mt. Baldy (aka San Antonio) in the somewhat distant background, the highpoint of Los Angeles County and the mountain where Julian Sands is now resting......at 0:10-0:11 in the farther background behind Griffith Observatory is massive Mt. San Gorgonio, highest point in southern California.....

Reminds me of what happens in the big shopping centers here in Buffalo. They plow the snow into one huge pile which takes forever to eventually all melt. So you can have a beautiful spring sunny day in the 60's or 70's here. You'll go to the store in your t-shirt and shorts and there is that mountain of snow hanging out in the parking lot.

Yes, it's real snow. The short movie brings in the whole panorama. I suspect the peaks will be snow-capped well into April. Of course, who knows what March will bring?

Edited by Unicorn

I lived much of my adult life in coastal OC and always relished these views after a big storm. I’ll bet even Saddleback (Modkeska and Santiago peaks) in the Santa Ana Mtns is deeply snow-covered. The rolling hills will resemble Scotland for the next month or so. I can just imagine the poppies on the ranges east of Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo. And the Mojave will no doubt be covered with wildflowers. 

Edited by Pensant

17 hours ago, Unicorn said:

Yes, it's real snow. The short movie brings in the whole panorama. I suspect the peaks will be snow-capped well into April. Of course, who knows what March will bring?

Wow. Didn't realize those mountains were ever snow capped.

I lived in LA for a year. I remember laughing when I saw the winter coats at a department store downtown. I asked the sales woman, "does it really get THAT cold here" ??  She said.. "oh my yes. It goes all the way down to 50 !!

Being a North-Easterner, (who attended Syracuse University) I found that hysterically funny.

Edited by pubic_assistance
grammar

The mountains surrounding Palm Springs were snow-covered down to much lower levels than I have ever seen before. Some of the mountain communities around the valley still have people trapped in their homes by several feet of snow, roads are closed and emergency responders can't get through, food stores are running out of supplies. I am wearing my old ski jackets and woolen hats to walk the dog here, while the cherry blossoms are getting ready to bloom in Washington, DC!

Edited by Charlie

4 hours ago, Charlie said:

...Some of the mountain communities around the valley still have people trapped in their homes by several feet of snow, roads are closed and emergency responders can't get through, food stores are running out of supplies...

I heard on CBS radio this morning a big press conference with a bunch of governmental agencies. Only 10% of secondary roads are plowed. Some have been unable to leave their homes for over a week. Apparently they're using aircraft and snow-cats to deliver MRE's (Meals Ready to Eat) to hapless residents.

Snowcat - Wikipedia

One resident was saying that he smelled natural gas (well, the additive), and he called the gas company, and they told him to call 911, and when he called 911, they told him to call the gas company.😬 The fire department said some houses have caught fire, presumably due to this problem. And no chance of bringing fire trucks, of course. I'm sure people who live in snowier places have figured out better ways of dealing with snowstorms. I guess use snowmobiles to get around?

Michigan Snowmobile Trail Permit - Michigan Snowmobile & ORV Association

Edited by Unicorn

Hopefully this isn't behind a paywall:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/03/us/southern-california-snow-trapped-residents.html?te=1&nl=the-morning&emc=edit_nn_20230304

"The San Bernardino Sheriff’s Department used helicopters on Thursday to deliver boxes of meals ready to eat, packages more typically associated with the military or backpackers, to help sustain people stuck in the mountains...Officials said it could be at least another week before they would allow access to the mountain communities for anyone beyond residents and emergency crews. They urged residents to hunker down, if they could, and stretch their food stores, as it remained unclear when grocery stores would be able to operate normally."

"During previous storms, enough snow could be shoveled off the decades-old building to keep the roof from sagging. But when Mr. Zack climbed a ladder this time, he faced a pile about five feet high, he estimated. There simply wasn’t enough time, nor enough people, to sufficiently ease the load. The roof was sagging, he noticed. A building inspector ordered the place closed, and Mr. Zack didn’t know when or if it would reopen. The roof of another grocery store, Goodwin and Sons, the only one in nearby Crestline, had fully collapsed. No one was hurt, but Mr. Zack said he knew it was painful to be out of commission during a time of so much need..."

Are there ways of avoiding that? Can one put heating elements on a roof so that the snow melts when it lands?

"California has been inundated with more snow this winter than it has in decades. After the most recent round of storms, the snowpack is nearly twice its normal amount for this time of year, a level the state has not seen since 1983, the California Department of Water Resources said on Friday..."

Of course, despite the fact that all of the state's reservoirs are already full to the brim, and this is before the snow melts, government officials, in their recent declaration, still won't concede that the state is completely out of the drought. The reservoirs are having to spill over so that there won't be flooding in the Spring.

https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentMap/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?CA

The state's biggest reservoirs are Shasta and Oroville. Here's a live webcam of Lake Shasta:

http://www.shastalake.com/webcam/

This is in an area that is still designated "Severe drought," in Shasta County, the county near the top, at the "Y" of the Sacramento River (the county resembles the state of Connecticut).  Also designated as "Severe drought," is much of Butte County, where Lake Oroville is. That county is 2 below Shasta County (the county is one which kind of looks like a ghost). Here's a live webcam of Lake Oroville:

https://worldcam.eu/webcams/north-america/california-usa/16259-oroville-dam

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/national-international/teen-hikers-huddled-together-to-survive-after-being-trapped-for-days-in-south-california-snowstorm/3107919/

When his 17-year-old son and friend headed off for a 10-day trek in the Southern California mountains, Cesar Ramirez said he wasn’t too worried. The teens were avid hikers with ample foods in their backpacks, a tent and snowshoes, plus extensive training and aspirations to join the military. But when the snow began pummeling the mountains east of Los Angeles by the foot-load and Ramirez lost contact with them through a tracking app, he called the San Bernardino County sheriff’s department. They dispatched a helicopter to the boys’ last known location, followed their foot tracks and spotted and rescued them. By then, Ramirez’s son had lost his jacket to the wind, and their tent had broken, the father said.

“They’ve told us, ‘We were already convinced we were going to die,’ ” said Ramirez, of Cypress, California. The dramatic rescue came as California has struggled to dig out residents in mountain communities from as much as 10 feet (3 meters) of snow after back-to-back storms battered the state. Gov. Gavin Newsom has declared states of emergency in 13 counties including San Bernardino County, where the massive snowfall has closed roads, caused power outages, collapsed roofs and trapped residents in their homes for days. San Bernardino County sheriff ’s Sgt. John Scalise said the boys were slightly hypothermic and lucky to be alive after huddling together for three nights to stay warm. He said they were well-prepared for the hike but not for the massive amounts of snow. “They knew there was weather. But I don’t think they expected the amount,” he said.

In a separate rescue operation further north in Inyo County, a man was found waving inside his partly snow-covered vehicle Thursday after the California Highway Patrol identified a cellphone ping linked to him and sent out a helicopter crew. He drove out from the community of Big Pine and was last heard from on Feb. 24, sheriff's authorities in the county on the eastern side of the Sierra Nevada said in a statement. Another strong storm dumped more snow Saturday on Northern California mountain communities, and a winter storm warning was in effect through early Monday, according to the National Weather Service in Sacramento.

In Southern California's San Bernardino Mountains, authorities have been working to clear roads and distribute food, water and blankets to snow-battered residents while the Red Cross has set up a shelter at a local high school. There is a slight chance of snow showers in the region on Sunday, according to the National Weather Service in San Diego. Authorities have said some residents could be shut in for another week because of the challenges in clearing out so much snow. Katy Curtis, who lives in the San Bernardino mountain community of Crestline, said she hiked with snowshoes for five miles (eight kilometers) to get a can of gasoline to a family trapped in their house to fuel a generator.

“I’m healthy, so I just thought, well, I can walk, and I did. But it was probably the longest day of my life," said Curtis, adding the family had someone with medical needs. Cars are completely buried, and snow is piled up to the roof of her home. Curtis said. “We’re just all so exhausted in every way,” she said.

The CBC in Canada reported on this tonight in their 6 o'clock news program. It mentioned rhe community of Crestline and the 10 feet of snow engulfing homes. It also reported more snow in Northern California is headed their way.

On the positive side the snow pack in the mountains will alleviate somewhat the drought conditions this summer but not by much unless the precipitation continues.

Let it rain, let it rain, let it rain.

16 minutes ago, BuffaloKyle said:

I saw this photo today. Just made me go 🙄

230306082112-01-ca-snow-030323-restricted.jpg

Probably the UPS Public Relations and/or Marketing Department saw a great opportunity here to capitalize on the snow......hmmmm, how was somebody right there in the freezing cold ready to snap a shot of Brown coming over the drift??!!.......😉