High falutin

Stormy

20 minutes ago, BtmBearDad said:

a man was either a scallywag or a bounder. 

did look up scalawag/scallywag for clarification.....I'd forgotten this origin:

a white Southerner who collaborated with northern Republicans during Reconstruction, often for personal profit. The term was used derisively by white Southern Democrats who opposed Reconstruction legislation.

1 minute ago, azdr0710 said:

did look up scalawag/scallywag for clarification.....I'd forgotten this origin:

a white Southerner who collaborated with northern Republicans during Reconstruction, often for personal profit. The term was used derisively by white Southern Democrats who opposed Reconstruction legislation.

Interesting - I never knew it’s origin! The context matches how I recalled it being applied. I just assumed it was European in origin 🤷🏼‍♂️

2 hours ago, BtmBearDad said:

Interesting - I never knew it’s origin! The context matches how I recalled it being applied. I just assumed it was European in origin 🤷🏼‍♂️

I couldn't find any etymological information about it or of the British usage meaning a rascal (the US usage is news to me), its origin is listed as unknown. It would surprise me if the word crossed the pond without taking a vestige of that meaning with it, so I suspect that it was an obscure word that separately developed its British and US usages.

@mike carey I suppose I assumed it was European in origin as the family member I recall using it, a great aunt, spent a good part of the teens, twenties, and early thirties of the last century in Europe. When she referred to a scallywag, it was definitely an insult directed at a man of no means/background  who was using his charm and other attributes to advance himself at the (usually) financial expense of women. Gosh! As I’m typing, I can hear her voice referring to one fellow who had married “above himself”, as they used to say, to a friend of hers, taken her for pretty penny, and moved on - “He was no gentlemen! He was a scallywag, and a bounder! Poor Millicent!” 🤣

9 minutes ago, jeezifonly said:

“High falutin” is a derogatory term usually applied to a writer or speaker, by people who don’t understand all the words used by the writer/speaker. “Unashamedly educated” is more accurate. 

It could be applied to folks who go to Operas, read Proust or vacation in Stockholm or Monaco

6 minutes ago, MikeBiDude said:

This is my experience with the term as well.

I don't think I have ever heard a real person say "high fallutin" - just in movies and TV.  I think I can remember one time hearing "putting on airs."  It was said by the cleaning lady in an apartment building where I lived in Denver, a LOT of years ago.  She grew up on a farm in Southern Indiana. 

On 2/27/2023 at 11:09 AM, Stormy said:

is this a description used by the over 80 crowd? 

I think it may be a description used more by a red-neck. I can't imagine my 92 year-old step-mother every saying "high-fallutin'." But I can imagine a hillbilly using that term to describe, for example, the language of a sophisticated city-slicker.

484 Redneck Farmer Stock Photos, Pictures & Royalty-Free Images - iStock

"Why y'all usin' that high-falutin' language round these parts?"

Hillbilly Jim | Discography | Discogs

Edited by Unicorn