Favorite no-fail recipe

BSR

What's your favorite recipe that is so easy & simple that anyone can pull it off?  Yes, one that even your friend who doesn't know how to boil water could make.

Mine is ginataang mais, Filipino rice pudding with sweet corn.  Ingredients are:

• 1 13.5 oz. can coconut cream
  • 1 13.5 oz. can coconut milk
  • 2 cans water
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3/4 cup sweet sticky rice (malagkit, in stock at my local Kroger Asian section, could sub in arborio or any really starchy rice)
  • 1 13.5 oz. can cream style sweet corn (whole kernel corn will work too if you pulse it in the food processor a few times)
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla (optional)

Put coconut cream, coconut milk, water, salt into a pot & bring to boil.  Add rice, lower heat to medium, stir constantly for 10 minutes.  Add corn & sugar, stir constantly for 8 more minutes.  Take off heat, stir in vanilla (or don't if you want just the coconut flavor).  Serve warm or allow to cool & refrigerate (good either way, I prefer it cold).

The only possible way to mess up this recipe is if you neglect to stir it for a while, which will cause the rice to stick to the bottom of the pot.  OK, so maybe a bit too challenging for your can't-boil-water friend (we all have one), but a cinch for anyone else.  If you like rice pudding and coconut, you'll love this dish.  The addition of corn might sound weird, but trust me, it works.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Chorizo taco filling

12 oz. Chorizo 

1-2 roasted, peeled chopped poblano peppers

1 sweet bell pepper 

I onion chopped 

2 cloves garlic minced

1 tomato seeded and chopped 

1 can refried beans (about 1.5 c homemade)

Cook the chorizo and remove to a plate. Saute the onions and peppers until barely soft. Add garlic and tomatoes. Cook an additional minute. Drain any excess fat.Add the refried beans and chorizo and heat through. 

It's a gloppy mess but always tasty. 

I make a goat cheese pasta sauce that is just:

1 4 oz goat cheese log (herbs/garlic is even better!)

1 tablespoon olive oil

1/4-1/3 cup (basically a ladle) pasta water (wait until about a minute or so before the pasta is ready to come out).

Salt/Pepper/whatever seasonings you like to taste

Basically all you do is put a goat cheese log in a large bowl. I usually take it out of the fridge for a half hour or so before I use it just to keep it softer, but you don't have to. Then drizzle a bit of olive oil, add any seasonings (I do think it helps to add some if you're using a plain goat cheese), then ladle in the hot pasta water. Use a fork to stir it all together. 

Drain the pasta and add the hot pasta and you got yourself a pretty good sauce. I like to add veggies too: Peas, asparagus, butternut squash, broccoli, roasted carrots are all pretty good, but whatever you like. This is a good sauce for a "Pasta primavera" type dish. 

On 1/20/2023 at 9:02 PM, BSR said:

What's your favorite recipe that is so easy & simple that anyone can pull it off?  Yes, one that even your friend who doesn't know how to boil water could make.

Mine is ginataang mais, Filipino rice pudding with sweet corn.  Ingredients are:

• 1 13.5 oz. can coconut cream
  • 1 13.5 oz. can coconut milk
  • 2 cans water
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3/4 cup sweet sticky rice (malagkit, in stock at my local Kroger Asian section, could sub in arborio or any really starchy rice)
  • 1 13.5 oz. can cream style sweet corn (whole kernel corn will work too if you pulse it in the food processor a few times)
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla (optional)

Put coconut cream, coconut milk, water, salt into a pot & bring to boil.  Add rice, lower heat to medium, stir constantly for 10 minutes.  Add corn & sugar, stir constantly for 8 more minutes.  Take off heat, stir in vanilla (or don't if you want just the coconut flavor).  Serve warm or allow to cool & refrigerate (good either way, I prefer it cold).

The only possible way to mess up this recipe is if you neglect to stir it for a while, which will cause the rice to stick to the bottom of the pot.  OK, so maybe a bit too challenging for your can't-boil-water friend (we all have one), but a cinch for anyone else.  If you like rice pudding and coconut, you'll love this dish.  The addition of corn might sound weird, but trust me, it works.

This sounds really good. I'd be tempted to put cinnamon in this to make it more like my grandma's arroz con leche, but not sure if it would be good with the coconut flavors. Have you ever tried that? Thanks for sharing!

1.  Insert slice of bread into toaster slot.

2.  Depress lever.

3.  Wait for toast to pop up.

4.  Spread butter on one side with butter knife. 

OR

1.  Open can.

2.  Pour soup into pot and place it on stove.

3.  Turn on heat.

4.  Eat directly out of pot to avoid washing another dish.

OR

1.  Arrange chicken fingers on baking tray.

2.  Place baking tray in toaster oven.

3.  Set timer 7 minutes longer and temp 25 degrees higher than instructions say.

4.  Eat directly off tray to avoid washing another dish.

Edited by samhexum
just for the hell of it

2 hours ago, keroscenefire said:

This sounds really good. I'd be tempted to put cinnamon in this to make it more like my grandma's arroz con leche, but not sure if it would be good with the coconut flavors. Have you ever tried that? Thanks for sharing!

Hmm, I'm really picky about cinnamon.  As much as I like it, I think it's a disaster when used improperly.  If you're looking to spice up Filipino rice pudding, vanilla would be my first choice.  Ginger and cardamom would probably work too.  Maybe nutmeg?  I wonder if cinnamon would clash with the corn.  If you really like the flavor of coconut, it's really best plain.  I always add vanilla because I love vanilla in everything, but purists like just the coconut flavor.

1 hour ago, BSR said:

Hmm, I'm really picky about cinnamon.  As much as I like it, I think it's a disaster when used improperly.  If you're looking to spice up Filipino rice pudding, vanilla would be my first choice.  Ginger and cardamom would probably work too.  Maybe nutmeg?  I wonder if cinnamon would clash with the corn.  If you really like the flavor of coconut, it's really best plain.  I always add vanilla because I love vanilla in everything, but purists like just the coconut flavor.

I like the coconut sticky rice at like Thai restaurants so I'd probably like it just fine sans coconut. I could see it being good with ginger/cardamom though...more of that kind of tingly spice.

11 hours ago, keroscenefire said:

I make a goat cheese pasta sauce that is just:

1 4 oz goat cheese log (herbs/garlic is even better!)

1 tablespoon olive oil

1/4-1/3 cup (basically a ladle) pasta water (wait until about a minute or so before the pasta is ready to come out).

Salt/Pepper/whatever seasonings you like to taste

Basically all you do is put a goat cheese log in a large bowl. I usually take it out of the fridge for a half hour or so before I use it just to keep it softer, but you don't have to. Then drizzle a bit of olive oil, add any seasonings (I do think it helps to add some if you're using a plain goat cheese), then ladle in the hot pasta water. Use a fork to stir it all together. 

Drain the pasta and add the hot pasta and you got yourself a pretty good sauce. I like to add veggies too: Peas, asparagus, butternut squash, broccoli, roasted carrots are all pretty good, but whatever you like. This is a good sauce for a "Pasta primavera" type dish. 

That's a great idea! I do something similar but use a knob of butter and white miso paste - if you haven't tasted this combo yet, it's awesome. Melt the butter and miso in a pan on low flame and add in the cooked pasta. Pair with protein (I use tuna) and veggies. Quick and easy meal. 

3 hours ago, cany10011 said:

That's a great idea! I do something similar but use a knob of butter and white miso paste - if you haven't tasted this combo yet, it's awesome. Melt the butter and miso in a pan on low flame and add in the cooked pasta. Pair with protein (I use tuna) and veggies. Quick and easy meal. 

That sounds good too! I'll have to try that. 

On 2/16/2023 at 7:00 PM, BSR said:

I used to work for a tech company in Fremont-there were quite a few Filipino restaurants in the area where we had lunch. My favorite was a rice congee with chicken.  It was always topped with lots of sautéed garlic and onion.

27 minutes ago, Rudynate said:

I used to work for a tech company in Fremont-there were quite a few Filipino restaurants in the area where we had lunch. My favorite was a rice congee with chicken.  It was always topped with lots of sautéed garlic and onion.

And did anybody ever speak to you after lunch?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Not really a recipe, and not sure if it's no-fail, but I think it might not be:

I was putting together an online grocery order and was reading the nutrition facts for Stouffer's Roast Turkey, which also had the cooking instructions:

Microwave (1100W): Cut film to vent. Cook 22 minutes on high. Stir both sides of the tray and re-cover. Cook again 22 minutes on high. Let stand 1 minute to complete cooking. 

KEEP FIRE EXTINGUISHER NEARBY.

• 3 months later...
On 7/22/2023 at 8:14 PM, Becket said:

Sweet and Sour Chicken

• 1 bottle Russian Dressing
  • 2 pkg dry french onion soup mix
  • 1 jar apricot jam
  • Mix everything up and pour over chicken pieces. Bake 300 degrees for 2 hours. No turning required. Delicious and foolproof.

Do you use a creamy dressing like Thousand Island, or clearer like Catalina?  Also, how big a jar of jam?  TIA

5 minutes ago, Becket said:

I use whatever is in the bottle that says Russian Dressing. I didn't know there were different types of Russian. The jar of jam is a regular size, not large. It's six or eight ounces methinks. 

I didn't know what the question was about (and thought it was asking about using a different type of dressing rather than Russian) so I googled it. Apparently Russian dressing usually has mayonnaise as one of the ingredients (and is similar to 1000 island) but some commercial Russian dressings omit the mayo and are more like a French or Catalina dressing. So I guess that was what the question was asking. Thank you both for prompting me to learn something new. Now I know!

Easy Key Lime Pie

• 2 eggs
  • 1 can condensed milk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/4 cup key lime juice. (Available in upscale grocery stores or order online.)
  • pinch salt 
  • graham cracker crust

whipped cream or cool whip topping

Beat eggs well. Add next four ingredients and blend well. Pour into a pre packaged graham cracker crust. Bake at 325 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes until custard is set.

Chill, then add topping. This is a very rich tasting dessert so serve in smaller than usual slices.

9 hours ago, poolboy48220 said:

I made my first try at baking with gluten-free flour, making some rolls I've made many times over for a friend who's gluten-intolerant.  I'm not a fan so far, I gave them half the batch and brought the rest to dinner with other friends, and there were a lot of uneaten rolls on plates after dinner.

Gluten-free food is usually intolerable for those who aren't gluten-intolerant. 

13 hours ago, Becket said:

Beat eggs well.

Sadist!  I bet you laughed when Humpty Dumpty fell.