Road Rage

Lucky

Recently while driving on a crowded California freeway, where traffic had frequently come to a complete stop, I felt happy to see it pick up. My lane was still slow, so after letting a motorcycle pass on the left, I signaled and moved over.

That apparently irritated the motorcycle coming next, even though I judged him to be far enough behind to allow me a safe lane change. He pulled up next to me, as close as he could get, and screamed unknown things. Next he started hitting my car, apparently trying to break my side mirror. He succeeded in turning it around and then drove off.

Thing is, had I moved ever so slightly to the right, he'd be dead. The road was still crowded and at best he would likely have been run over. So I saved the life of this guy who was raging at me. I doubt he was grateful! (And I am glad he didn't seem to have a gun!)

43 minutes ago, Lucky said:

Recently while driving on a crowded California freeway, where traffic had frequently come to a complete stop, I felt happy to see it pick up. My lane was still slow, so after letting a motorcycle pass on the left, I signaled and moved over.

That apparently irritated the motorcycle coming next, even though I judged him to be far enough behind to allow me a safe lane change. He pulled up next to me, as close as he could get, and screamed unknown things. Next he started hitting my car, apparently trying to break my side mirror. He succeeded in turning it around and then drove off.

Thing is, had I moved ever so slightly to the right, he'd be dead. The road was still crowded and at best he would likely have been run over. So I saved the life of this guy who was raging at me. I doubt he was grateful! (And I am glad he didn't seem to have a gun!)

I have noticed in Houston that motorcycles often travel at speeds significantly greater than the speed limit making it almost impossible to even see them before making the lane change.  I am glad you are ok. 

1 hour ago, Lucky said:

I judged him to be far enough behind to allow me a safe lane change.

@Lucky I had a similar experience some 30 years ago. Not on a freeway but in traffic stopped by a red light ahead.

The biker was angry that I changed lanes even though I’d completed the manoeuvre before he came near. Fortunately I’d already learned to lock all the doors when driving (as he attempted to open my door) and I accelerated away as the lights turned green.

1 hour ago, Lucky said:

Thank God he didn't have a gun... in some states he could have killed you based on "castle/stand your ground" laws. 

somehow lately, I got "signed up" for the very popular reddit subforum "Idiots In Cars".......as usual for the internet, the comments sections for each are hilarious....holy cow, watching some of these drivers cause wrecks has me nearly petrified now anytime I go out in the car.......I'm looking everywhere and driving like a grandma....... 

https://www.reddit.com/r/IdiotsInCars/

6 hours ago, MscleLovr said:

@Lucky I had a similar experience some 30 years ago. Not on a freeway but in traffic stopped by a red light ahead.

The biker was angry that I changed lanes even though I’d completed the manoeuvre before he came near. Fortunately I’d already learned to lock all the doors when driving (as he attempted to open my door) and I accelerated away as the lights turned green.

Maybe that is why these days car doors automatically lock once you are underway.

Recently I was visiting in a nearby college town of about 50K population. I was with a friend who was driving. We were at a T intersection at a traffic light waiting to turn right.  There was a truck approaching on the left, but we had plenty of time to turn right and accelerate quickly to get up to the 40 mph limit. For whatever reason the truck driver gunned it and was immediately on our bumper blasting their horn. The driver appeared to be a 20-something female with a passenger. Along with the horn, she was flashing her bright lights and screaming at us. I advised my friend to take a turn and ditch them. Didn’t work - they stayed right on our tail. We took a couple of passes through some shopping center parking lots, but to no avail. I was about ready to call 911, when up ahead we spotted a fire station. The horn blaring never let up, but the second we pulled into the station, I guess they decided the chase scene was over and took off. Crazy people.

1 hour ago, KrisParr said:

Recently I was visiting in a nearby college town of about 50K population. I was with a friend who was driving. We were at a T intersection at a traffic light waiting to turn right.  There was a truck approaching on the left, but we had plenty of time to turn right and accelerate quickly to get up to the 40 mph limit. For whatever reason the truck driver gunned it and was immediately on our bumper blasting their horn. The driver appeared to be a 20-something female with a passenger. Along with the horn, she was flashing her bright lights and screaming at us. I advised my friend to take a turn and ditch them. Didn’t work - they stayed right on our tail. We took a couple of passes through some shopping center parking lots, but to no avail. I was about ready to call 911, when up ahead we spotted a fire station. The horn blaring never let up, but the second we pulled into the station, I guess they decided the chase scene was over and took off. Crazy people.

Yikes! That sounds scary.  When you say "truck," do you mean a pickup, or ...

In the mid-‘70’s I was a slightly militant bicycle rider …. Middle of the lane through Harvard Square type. 5’10”, short shorts, t-shirt. 
My attention must have been diverted, but I tapped a motorcycle on his rear seat. He turned around, Devil’s Eyes glowing beneath his helmet shield, took one look, and said:

”Are you ok?”

I apologized for having tapped his bike and assured him I was fine. 

Another time, I was riding along the Cantabrigian side of the Charles. It was like 0715, on my way to work. I was in the pedestrian sidewalk, but stopped. I forgot to take my foot out of the “rat trap” (the thing that goes OVER your foot, to keep your foot in place … it was a touring bike) and proceeded to fall over, with a certain slowness and grace. 
“Are you ok?” Two drivers asked. 
“Yes, I’m fine.”

Just to compleat my clumsiness stories:

I was on an Alaskan cruise with a couple and their Kid. Kid and I decided to take the helicopter ride and go dog sledding on the snow. 
we get to the Glacier, and I’m the last one to mush the sled. You stand on like 2x2’s as the sled goes flying over the snow. My foot slipped, and I fell off. The dog sled lady (19: and she’d already done 1500 miles/km across Finland solo) stoppped the sled. I’d gotten up.

”Are younok?”

”Yeah …”

”I thought so. You’re laughing your head off!”

you may call me Gracie. 

Tasers? My God @Unicorn what’s wrong with you?

You’re an American and you know that, as a good citizen, you’re supposed to have military-grade weaponry on you at all times. You never know: you could be driving your car when Mexico decides to invade or the British might want to reclaim their colonial possessions. 

Edited by MscleLovr

California is one of only two U.S. states that permits motorcyclists to lane split (drive on the line between two lanes). It is extremely dangerous, especially on freeways.  Your lane might be at a complete stop and along comes a motorcycle hell bent for fury on one side of you. If there were a sudden break in traffic and you attempted to change lane the cyclist could easily be splattered all over the road. California was also one of the last states to force motorcyclists to wear helmets.

1 hour ago, MscleLovr said:

Fascinating: I didn’t know this. I’m certain @Epigonos is correct on this as I’ve never seen motorcycle cops do it. 

Yes, he is correct. The cyclists are only supposed to drive no more than 10 mph faster than the cars are traveling, but they usually ignore that part of the rule. If they really only drove 10 mph faster, it wouldn't be so dangerous, but when driving as they usually do, it's quite dangerous--as seen in this instance. 

12 hours ago, Epigonos said:

California is one of only two U.S. states that permits motorcyclists to lane split (drive on the line between two lanes). It is extremely dangerous, especially on freeways.  Your lane might be at a complete stop and along comes a motorcycle hell bent for fury on one side of you. If there were a sudden break in traffic and you attempted to change lane the cyclist could easily be splattered all over the road. California was also one of the last states to force motorcyclists to wear helmets.

I dont know if lane-splitting is legal in neighboring Nevada or if the police just let it go, but lane-splitters are rampant here in Las Vegas.  It makes my heart skip a beat or several whenever a motorcyclist flies past me between lanes.  I really wish it were illegal everywhere.

17 hours ago, MscleLovr said:

Tasers? My God @Unicorn what’s wrong with you?

You’re an American and you know that, as a good citizen, you’re supposed to have military-grade weaponry on you at all times. You never know: you could be driving your car when Mexico decides to invade or the British might want to reclaim their colonial possessions. 

You're right! One can never be too careful! 😄

Driver Who Displayed Gun in Richmond Road Rage Incident Arrested, Charged  with Aggravated Assault with a Deadly Weapon – Cardinal News

19 hours ago, Epigonos said:

I understand why, but hate they can do that.  I never lived there, but used to often visit.  Never failed, I'd get on the 405, and that first bike scared the shit out of me,.  One of the first times I was going to change lanes as traffic was just inching alone.  

Also reminds me that some states have rules, customs that those visiting don't know.  In Illinois, we have to stop for pedestrians in the crosswalk.  Most locals don't.  I have to tell my brothers from out of state to watch for that. 

Don't know if an actual rule, but when I go to Maui, most will stop for those trying to cross the road whether a crosswalk or not.  Also, often on two lane roads, when traffic is heavy, they will stop to allow on oncoming car make a left turn, freeing up the long line of cars waiting behind them.

Edited by bashful

13 minutes ago, bashful said:

In Illinois, we have to stop for pedestrians in the crosswalk.

That’s interesting @bashful I thought it was the rule in every state.

Admittedly the only 2 times I have almost been hit by a car were while using the crosswalk (in clear daylight, in Pacific Heights) in San Francisco. Each time, the driver was a woman in her late 20s talking on her phone. 

17 minutes ago, bashful said:

when I go to Maui, most will stop for those trying to cross the road whether a crosswalk or not

I noticed that too. But it’s also happened to me in small towns like La Jolla, California. 

On 6/6/2022 at 11:26 AM, BuffaloKyle said:

Road rage is a very scary thing. I always give myself plenty of extra time to get places so I can let all the wackos pass me. 

And we thank you.

On 6/8/2022 at 1:45 AM, gallahadesquire said:

you may call me Gracie. 

Can we just call you a klutz?

19 hours ago, Epigonos said:

California is one of only two U.S. states that permits motorcyclists to lane split (drive on the line between two lanes). It is extremely dangerous, especially on freeways. California was also one of the last states to force motorcyclists to wear helmets.

Well, to be fair, what's a few more brain-dead Californians?

• 2 weeks later...

Last week on my way into work I was turning onto the street my job is on and saw a guy in a pick up passenger side come out of the window with a rifle pointed at a motorcyclist.  I didn’t believe what I was seeing and it didn’t register until the truck turned and pulled away.  The guys with the rifle looked scary..gang members..the truck was old and beat up.  Even more shockingly the motorcyclist waved them off like they weren’t serious.  I was telling my boss about it and she told me about how she flipped someone off and they shot her back window out when she had her kid in the back seat.   It’s a crazy world out there.  Stay safe and be careful.