New Site Name Contest Finalists & Vote

RadioRob
This topic is 765 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

VOTE NOW: New Site Name Contest  

449 members have voted

1. 1. What name would you like to see for this site?

• Sessions
    • The Company of Men
    • The Hobbyist
    • Hire Path
    • Man.Date

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/24/2022 at 04:59 AM

Thank you to everyone that participated in the contest to help pick our New Site Name.    We had some absolutely fantastic submissions... to the point where it was nearly impossible for the moderators to cut the list down.  It fact as a result in the end, we've decided to make the vote be a Top 5 instead of a Top 3!  

Without further ado...  for your consideration...  below are the entries we're going to ask you to pick from in selecting our future site name:

• Sessions 
  • The Company of Men 
  • The Hobbyist 
  • Hire Path 
  • man.date

As a reminder, the winner of this poll will have their name chosen for our new site name AND receive a $100 cash prize!  All other finalists will receive a $25 cash prize.

There were a number of other names that we loved as well and wanted to highlight as "honorable mentions".  While they are not up for consideration for our future site name, we did want to call them out as we liked them quite a bit!

• Menopedia 
  • Don't Tell Momma 
  • Cockpit 
  • DearJohn

Those names selected as an honorable mention will receive some sort of branded logo gear with our new name on it once the new logo is designed.  This could be a mug, hat, shirt, or something else.  Details to come later once we actually have a logo!   :) 

Below are some rules for the vote:

• Voting is open now through Feb 23, 2022 at 11:59 PM Eastern.  The poll will AUTOMATICALLY close at this time.
  • The poll can be found in this thread at the top of page 1.  All votes must be cast in that poll.  Anything else will not be considered.  (So don't PM me your choice!)
  • Each member may only vote for ONE name.  
  • Once a selection is made, we are unable to change your vote.  (Please don't ask as the answer will be "no".)  
  • The moderators reserve the right to disqualify votes if we find individuals attempting to create additional usernames to vote twice. 

Yes...  I had to put the rules in small print.  Any sort of real contest rules are ALWAYS done in tiny print.  It's part of what makes it official!

Again...  thank you to everyone who participated and good luck to all of our finalists!!  

• RadioRob changed the title to New Site Name Contest Finalists & Vote
  • RadioRob pinned this topic

Mapping the final names to who submitted them was intentionally not included as I did not want this to become a popularity contest.  You're absolutely right in that you could match up names and figure it out.  However my goal was for the names to stand on their own.  I wanted people to be making a choice based on that initial gut feeling that says "yes...  this is who we are!"

(I actually have a version of the two lists in the moderator forum with names so that I can more easily award prizes later. lol!)

@RadioRob and all......

I just want to re-confirm that this new site name will be the domain name (a .com or.org will be behind this new name) and that will be how we log in??.....the name "m4m-forum dot org" will be going away???

also, I want to re-confirm that this new site name will be the one place that has forums, reviews, galleries, everything??....no more separate "daddysreviews"?.....

thanks for the answers....appreciate all your time with this......

Edited by azdr0710

34 minutes ago, azdr0710 said:

I just want to re-confirm that this new site name will be the domain name (a .com or.org will be behind this new name) and that will be how we log in??.....the name "m4m-forum dot org" will be going away???

I have no clue what the new domain will be.  It might end up as a .COM/.ORG, it might be .MEN, or any other valid top level domain.  This URL will NOT go away anytime soon.  It would become a redirect to the new URL.  It will continue to work for as long as we want it to exist.  (It costs us about $15 a year to maintain it, so it's not overly expensive.)  Once the new site is ready, users can use either address to get here.  The browser bar however will show the new domain name.  

34 minutes ago, azdr0710 said:

also, I want to re-confirm that this new site name will be the one place that has forums, reviews, galleries, everything??....no more separate "daddysreviews"?.....

Yes, this new address would be a "one stop shop" for everything.  We do not need to separate the forums from the review site.  It was done when there was a large amount of uncertainty around SOSTA/FESTA.  It's been more than a decade since then and the legal implications are much better understood.  I've had a lawyer review this and it was determined to not be a problem.  What's funny is that even if it was a problem...  if the government came after one site, they would have gotten both because both sites ran on the SAME server.  If they seized one, it would have taken both with it.  So in reality it was more about making the APPEARANCE of separation than what might happen if something was actually done about the review site.  

Our challenge with the daddysreviews.com domain itself is that when Daddy died, we were never able to gain control of the domain name.  It was associated with an email account no one knew the password to get into.  As a result, we cannot make any changes to that domain.  We cannot point it to our site's servers, etc.  It's basically just sitting there pointing to something that does not exist anymore (meaning Daddy's old server that went offline last summer).  

That domain name is set to expire in March of this year.  Specifically:

Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2022-03-19T21:48:45Z

Once it expires, the domain enters a "redemption period" where the owner can reclaim it.  After it's expired 30-90 days, it will eventually be released and anyone can buy it first come, first serve.  I'm going to try to grab it for historical sake and point it back similar to how I would point this URL to the new one.  But I don't know for sure if I'll be able to get it before someone else can.  Think of shopping on Black Friday with limited quantities of items...  its a gamble if you will be able to get the item you want.  

So regardless...  it makes sense to continue with our new branding efforts with a new permanent domain.  All of our old domains will automatically push people into the new location and work transparently.  (Because there will be a domain change, you WILL need to save your password in your browser and login again for the first time once the new domain is live...  just like we did when I pointed everyone here following Daddy's death and the loss of his server.)

3 hours ago, Ganymede255 said:

Perhaps at the end of this round of voting, a runoff between the two top contenders might be in order.

Thank you for the suggestion.  However unless we end up in a situation where the vote between the top two are super close, it does not make sense to change the rules after they were initially setup.   :) 

The old domain will continue to be supported.  There is no plan to remove it.  Instead of being the "primary" however, it will become secondary.  

And regarding why...  when I first took over the site, the first phase was "stop the bleeding".  Meaning the old site was down, there was the potential of losing all data/members, etc.  Since we did not have control of the domain itself, there was no way for me to point users, etc.  I had just 2-3 minutes to figure out a placeholder domain for us to use.  

While it works...  it's not "who we are".  It does not match our mission statement.  This has been something I've solicited feedback on for over a month.  A large number of our members seem to support this based on the voting.  There also was not a heavy amount of feedback in the phase of picking future names a well.  

So while I understand that some people may not like the ultimate outcome...  just like the move from Xenforo to IPB, I think it will grow on those who are not necessarily certain now.  I understand and am listening, however at the same time I also have to consider what we need not only tomorrow but next year and how to plan for the next twenty years of the site.  

We won't survive as a forum only.  The review site was what ultimately brought this group together...  and finding a way to properly showcase that is important.  So my goal is to try to find that middle ground in that people will be able to use either domain they want.  All of them will ultimately get you here.  :)  

Since there's no "none of the above" option I guess I should make a comment to express that opinion.  These are clever names and great brainstorming... I just agree that something simple and unrevealing would be preferable to a flashier site name.  Several of these are so literal that they make the whole project feel uncomfortable.

Just my two cents, no criticism intended for anyone's ideas.

6 hours ago, Golem said:

Since there's no "none of the above" option I guess I should make a comment to express that opinion.  These are clever names and great brainstorming... I just agree that something simple and unrevealing would be preferable to a flashier site name.  Several of these are so literal that they make the whole project feel uncomfortable.

Just my two cents, no criticism intended for anyone's ideas.

Agree.

Too many went for clever, campy or play-on-word names.  

While this might appeal to this group or generation who finds these things amusing, this site needs to think ahead to the future generation of younger users who would see it as clunky and old fashioned.

Edited by Benjamin_Nicholas

Guys… the time to make suggestions has come and gone. I appreciate the feedback but we’re not changing the options mid way through.  

I don’t say this to be a dick, but instead in an effort to be open and transparent. If you don’t like the new name, that’s fine.  My plan is to still maintain this current theme in a way we also have the dark mode theme.  But the change is happening.  Exactly what that change will be is still being determined based on the outcome of the poll. 

This is similar to the discussion about the move from Xenforo to IPB… it’s impossible for me to please EVERYONE. No matter what I do, there will be some that don’t like it. I absolutely understand and respect that. However my task is to look at the big picture and act with what is going to be in the best long term interest of the site. I’ll always listen to the feedback even if I’m not always able to accommodate every ask/feedback.  

On 2/17/2022 at 4:45 PM, RadioRob said:

Guys… the time to make suggestions has come and gone. I appreciate the feedback but we’re not changing the options mid way through.  

I don’t say this to be a dick, but instead in an effort to be open and transparent. If you don’t like the new name, that’s fine.  My plan is to still maintain this current theme in a way we also have the dark mode theme.  But the change is happening.  Exactly what that change will be is still being determined based on the outcome of the poll. 

This is similar to the discussion about the move from Xenforo to IPB… it’s impossible for me to please EVERYONE. No matter what I do, there will be some that don’t like it. I absolutely understand and respect that. However my task is to look at the big picture and act with what is going to be in the best long term interest of the site. I’ll always listen to the feedback even if I’m not always able to accommodate every ask/feedback.  

Thaddeus Stevens once asked John Quincy Adams for advice about living a life in politics. One of the rules he shared: Always remember, no man of influence remains unabused. 😁

This topic is 765 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.