Which do you find more attractive?

When my new beau, "Chris," and I are walking our dogs, or if I'm walking both of them, on the Runyon Canyon trails, it's very common for people to compliment his dog but not mine. His is a "blue" French Bulldog, and mine is a mix, but looks almost exactly like a Black Labrador (although when I sent off for a DNA analysis, there were almost a dozen breeds in her, but labrador wasn't one of them, much to my chagrin, since I found out she's made up of mostly of some very protective breeds). My beau's Frenchie is a sweet, affectionate dog, though I find her looks to be one only a parent could love. She looks like some sort of strange mutant to me. I find my dog very handsome. What do you guys think? Is the Frenchie really more attractive? Or are people just more impressed by the cost of those dogs? At first I just thought people were trying to come on to my beau, but this happens when I'm alone walking both. 

Handsome Black Labrador Boy - 1 year old | Coatbridge, Lanarkshire |  Pets4Homes

10 Things You Didn't Know about the Blue French Bulldog

File:Labrador Retriever black portrait Flickr.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Stunning Blue Brindle French Bulldog For Stud | Chelmsford, Essex |  Pets4Homes

I’m with Mr. Nicholas on this one.  (Actually, I wish I were with him period, but that’s another story…) French bulldogs are a hot breed right now - one of those “so ugly, they’re cute” breeds.  And it’s not just the breathing problems that inbreeding has caused; many of these breeds have to have Caesarian births since their heads are too large for the mother to birth them naturally.  It’s horrible.

15 minutes ago, curt gregory said:

I’m with Mr. Nicholas on this one.  (Actually, I wish I were with him period, but that’s another story…) French bulldogs are a hot breed right now - one of those “so ugly, they’re cute” breeds.  And it’s not just the breathing problems that inbreeding has caused; many of these breeds have to have Caesarian births since their heads are too large for the mother to birth them naturally.  It’s horrible.

She also sits and lies down in a really weird way. I don't know if it's because their joints are mutant, too? Or needs to heat up her pussy?

11 Fun Facts About French Bulldogs | 3 Million Dogs

Why Do French Bulldogs Sit Funny – Is Something Wrong? – Little French Dog

Personally I like your black lab lookalike better than the other one. It’s the humans that are weird at times. 

Glad to hear that you are settling down in your new neighborhood. Did I miss the thread about “Chris”? What’s the scoop on him?

2 hours ago, sync said:

I'm pro-dog in general, however, I'm more drawn to large friendly dogs (Labrador/St. Bernard/New Finland).

Dark golden retrievers | Red golden retriever puppy, Retriever puppy, Dark  golden retriever5 Reasons Why a St. Bernard May Be the Perfect Breed For You - Dogtopiahuge black furry dog

She looks exactly like a black lab, which is a calm breed, but was disappointed to hear she's made up of a lot of overly protective breeds:

Neapolitan Mastiff
18.38%
German Shepherd Dog
22.05%
Mixed Breed Unknown
12.66%
Anatolian Shepherd Dog
1.32%
Finnish Lapphund
1.94%
Cane Corso
5.14%
Rottweiler
10.32%
Dogue de Bordeaux
12.57%
American Staffordshire Terrier
15.62%

I'm trying to train the aggressive nature out of her, but she bounds at the door when someone even works on houses across the street. The front yard's 20 feet wide and has an 8-foot hedge and gate. The back yard's much larger. I was hoping for a calm, friendly pooch such as a typical black lab: "The AKC describes the Labrador's temperament as a kind, pleasant, outgoing and tractable nature." Also, she's terrified of the pool, which makes her very un-lab-ish. 

"German Shepherds are moderately active dogs and are described in breed standards as self assured. The breed is marked by a willingness to learn and an eagerness to have a purpose. They are curious, which makes them excellent guard dogs and suitable for search missions. They can become overprotective of their family and territory, especially if not socialized correctly. They are not inclined to become immediate friends with strangers."

Edited by Unicorn

8 hours ago, WilliamM said:

Glad to know about "Chris."

3 hours ago, David1024 said:

Personally I like your black lab lookalike better than the other one. It’s the humans that are weird at times. 

Glad to hear that you are settling down in your new neighborhood. Did I miss the thread about “Chris”? What’s the scoop on him?

Well, I've mentioned him in a couple of threads before. I call him "Chris" because he's from the Fremont, California area, like Olympic Gold medalist Kristi Yamaguchi. We've been together since early May, and it seems like it's really working out. I told him I would pay his rent for June, so he could make sure he was happy with me, and he's moved all of his stuff out of his old place, after some 5 trips in my SUV over the last few weeks. My housekeeper will clean up the place so he can get his whole deposit back. Since European travel is out so far, we're taking a 7-day cruise in Puget Sound in 3 weeks, then visit Seattle and Mt. Rainier National Park. We'll be taking one of my favorite hikes in the world, the Skyline Trail in MRNP. I've met a number of his friends, and he's met some of mine, and will be meeting my family this week-end. 

8-Day Puget Sound and San Juan Islands Cruise| American Cruise Lines

7 Night - Puget Sound and San Juan Island Cruis.. American Spirit

Edited by Unicorn

18 hours ago, Unicorn said:

She looks exactly like a black lab, which is a calm breed, but was disappointed to hear she's made up of a lot of overly protective breeds:

Neapolitan Mastiff
18.38%
German Shepherd Dog
22.05%
Mixed Breed Unknown
12.66%
Anatolian Shepherd Dog
1.32%
Finnish Lapphund
1.94%
Cane Corso
5.14%
Rottweiler
10.32%
Dogue de Bordeaux
12.57%
15.62%

I'm trying to train the aggressive nature out of her, but she bounds at the door when someone even works on houses across the street. The front yard's 20 feet wide and has an 8-foot hedge and gate. The back yard's much larger. I was hoping for a calm, friendly pooch such as a typical black lab: "The AKC describes the Labrador's temperament as a kind, pleasant, outgoing and tractable nature." Also, she's terrified of the pool, which makes her very un-lab-ish. 

"German Shepherds are moderately active dogs and are described in breed standards as self assured. The breed is marked by a willingness to learn and an eagerness to have a purpose. They are curious, which makes them excellent guard dogs and suitable for search missions. They can become overprotective of their family and territory, especially if not socialized correctly. They are not inclined to become immediate friends with strangers."

The nature of dogs can be as firmly entrenched as the nature of humans.  

At one time I lived in a town where two of my neighbors had dogs that were dangerously affectionate. 

One family had a Labrador that would bound toward visitors and virtually hurl herself into the individuals and smother them with affection.  While the family was heartbroken by their decision, they eventually gave the dog to another family better able to accommodate the dog's nature.

The other family had two Newfoundlands, one of which they had to keep on a run because it would pounce onto individuals with its ravenous affection. The run was the only option because the dog's size and weight in its zeal was a very real danger to young children and the elderly.

Edited by sync
Correction New Finlands to Newfoundlands, per @Charlie

5 minutes ago, WilliamM said:

Is the city of Victoria on Vancouver Island not included?   Wow.

The Canadian border is still closed. While not as disastrous as Australia's approach to getting its people vaccinated, Canada also spent too much attention on isolation instead of vaccination as a strategy out of the pandemic. It looks like Canada's latest positivity rate is around 2%, much higher than LA County's 0.3%...

https://health-infobase.canada.ca/covid-19/epidemiological-summary-covid-19-cases.html

1 hour ago, Unicorn said:

The Canadian border is still closed. While not as disastrous as Australia's approach to getting its people vaccinated, Canada also spent too much attention on isolation instead of vaccination as a strategy out of the pandemic. It looks like Canada's latest positivity rate is around 2%, much higher than LA County's 0.3%...

https://health-infobase.canada.ca/covid-19/epidemiological-summary-covid-19-cases.html

As usual, a one sided view of vaccination stats. NYT reports today Biden unlikely to reach goal of 70 percent of adults receiving at least one dose by July 4. Canada has already surpassed that by several percentage points. 

Ontario alone is vaccinating over 200,000 per day, the same amount of first shots being administered in all of the US. Those who have received 2 doses is around 18 percent, far lower than the US 55 percent but at the rate going, will exceed US rate probably by end of July or in August. 

The reason Canada had to rely on isolation several months ago was because of supply constraints. Those no longer exist. And California has three times the number of deaths than all of Canada so far with roughly the same population.

When we look back a year from now, it's obvious which country will come out looking better in how it handled the crisis.

18 hours ago, Unicorn said:

Neapolitan Mastiff
18.38%
German Shepherd Dog
22.05%
Mixed Breed Unknown
12.66%
Anatolian Shepherd Dog
1.32%
Finnish Lapphund
1.94%
Cane Corso
5.14%
Rottweiler
10.32%
Dogue de Bordeaux
12.57%
15.62%

I can't believe this genetic analysis. Several of these breeds are quite rare, and in this country they are mostly in the hands of exotic breed fanciers, who would not breed them together. In a natural setting they are also unlikely to meet to breed together, since they are found in different parts of the world. I have been going to dog shows for years (I used to own Westminster-show-quality Greyhounds), and I have never even seen a couple of these breeds in the flesh. It would be illogical for your dog to contain a higher percentage of the Dogue de Bordeaux than of the popular Rottweiler. She is supposed to be more than one-fifth German Shepherd, yet she shows none of the distinctive points--hair type, coloration, ear shape--of the GS. I don't see how one could create an animal that looks exactly like a Black Labrador Retriever by combining the breeds on this list.

Edited by Charlie