Which do you find more attractive?

This topic is 760 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

3 hours ago, tassojunior said:

I've found Frenchies, alone among dogs, to be almost cat-like in "leave me alone" attitudes. Many times they want to be left alone, other times they won't leave their owner alone. Most of my neighbors have them and i get attitudes from every one of them when i say hello, unlike other breeds. I don't know how that psychology was bred into a dog. 

Ours is very affectionate and always enjoys attention. We're just trying to get her out of her instinct to jump on everyone she meets. She only gets testy if you try to get her into the pool, though she will jump onto the first step to get her feet wet...

• 8 months later...
On 6/17/2021 at 12:28 PM, Benjamin_Nicholas said:

Frenchies are quite popular at the moment, but I personally prefer a dog that hasn't been inbred to a point of ruining their ability to breathe.

I much prefer your pup.  

A friend of mine was a big enthusiast for English bull dogs and he told me how complicated it is having puppies.  They are bred specifically for broad shoulders and narrow hips.  The hips are so narrow that puppies can't fit through the mother's birth canal - the puppies have to be delivered by c-section.  Also, the maternal instinct is pretty weak, so the puppies have to be separated from the mother at birth - she might ignore them and let them die, or worse yet, accidentally smother them by laying on them.  It made me so sad to think that these poor dogs can't survive without human care and that they'd been deliberately made that way.

6 hours ago, Rudynate said:

A friend of mine was a big enthusiast for English bull dogs and he told me how complicated it is having puppies.  They are bred specifically for broad shoulders and narrow hips.  The hips are so narrow that puppies can't fit through the mother's birth canal - the puppies have to be delivered by c-section.  Also, the maternal instinct is pretty weak, so the puppies have to be separated from the mother at birth - she might ignore them and let them die, or worse yet, accidentally smother them by laying on them.  It made me so sad to think that these poor dogs can't survive without human care and that they'd been deliberately made that way.

You're right. The Frenchies are extremely mutant. Not only can't they deliver except by C-section, they have to be artificially inseminated. And the breathing problem that another poster alluded to did come to pass. She just had to have an operation for that about a month ago, though fortunately pet insurance paid for 90% of the $4000 cost (I can recommend Pumpkin Insurance!). "Chris" and I are vacationing in Guatemala right now (currently with a lakefront room on Lake Atitlan), and our dog/house-sitter told us that the "black lab" spends much of the time just staring at the front door, though the Frenchie seems blissfully ignorant of our absence. 

5 hours ago, Rudynate said:

I see storm clouds on the horizon.  I hope the young man is adept at reading tea leaves.

If you're talking about the relationship between "Chris" and myself, that's a rather hateful and bitchy thing to say. For your information, we get along absolutely fantastically. He tells me he's never been happier in his life, and it seems likely we'll get married some day (with a prenup, of course). And our two bitches get along great, too, though the Frenchie sometimes tries to steal the "black lab"'s food.

image.png.4cf1ce17da28b7602fa277c55c4f3e04.png

17 hours ago, Unicorn said:

If you're talking about the relationship between "Chris" and myself, that's a rather hateful and bitchy thing to say. For your information, we get along absolutely fantastically. He tells me he's never been happier in his life, and it seems likely we'll get married some day (with a prenup, of course). And our two bitches get along great, too, though the Frenchie sometimes tries to steal the "black lab"'s food.

image.png.4cf1ce17da28b7602fa277c55c4f3e04.png

And yet it bothers you that people are more interested in his dog rather then yours.  Hmmmm.

5 hours ago, Rudynate said:

And yet it bothers you that people are more interested in his dog rather then yours.  Hmmmm.

It doesn't "bother" me. I just find it strange. We have different tastes on many things, but we respect our differences.

2 hours ago, WilliamM said:

Who is "Chris?"

Pay attention! 😉  It's the pseudonym I've given my domestic partner for nearly a year. 

2 hours ago, nycman said:

Perhaps you missed the most recent installments of the "Lyin’ Paraguayan" melodrama?

It's been over 2 years since the Lyin' Paraguayan. I didn't get a dog until a year ago, when I retired. I've been with "Chris" for almost a year. The LP and I are still cordial and texted just a few weeks ago, although I will not tolerate a liar in my romantic life. 

Edited by Unicorn

11 hours ago, Unicorn said:

It's been over 2 years since the Lyin' Paraguayan. I didn't get a dog until a year ago, when I retired. I've been with "Chris" for almost a year. The LP and I are still cordial and texted just a few weeks ago, although I will not tolerate a liar in my romantic life. 

Lyin' Paraguay could make a living as a contestant on "What's My Line"  and "To Tell The Truth.".   And "I I've Got A Secret."

Edited by WilliamM

On 3/21/2022 at 11:29 AM, Rudynate said:

It didn't seem like it bothered him, he seems to love both dogs.  It just seemed interesting to him, and so he started a conversation about it.  I like the not-lab, feel sorry for the cute Frenchie's breathing problems.

1 hour ago, Rod Hagen said:

It didn't seem like it bothered him, he seems to love both dogs.  It just seemed interesting to him, and so he started a conversation about it.  I like the not-lab, feel sorry for the cute Frenchie's breathing problems.

I love dogs.  Any friendly, affectionate dog wll win my heart.  I'm sure I'd love both dogs if I were lucky enough to meet them, but I'd ooh and ah over the Frenchy a lot more.  Don't ask me to explain it.  I imagine French and English bulldogs have that effect on most people, which is why so many people pay such hefty sums for them.

On 3/21/2022 at 7:19 PM, WilliamM said:

Have there been other domestic partnerships too? 

I was with a man originally from Russia for over 13 years. He's an American now, and hasn't been to Russia since we first met, some 20 years ago (nor could he, since he immigrated on asylum and is not eligible to get either a Russian passport nor a Russian visa; theoretically he could renounce his Russia citizenship, then try to apply for a Russian visa, but he has zero interest in ever going back to Russia).

20 hours ago, BSR said:

I love dogs.  Any friendly, affectionate dog wll win my heart.  I'm sure I'd love both dogs if I were lucky enough to meet them, but I'd ooh and ah over the Frenchy a lot more.  Don't ask me to explain it.  I imagine French and English bulldogs have that effect on most people, which is why so many people pay such hefty sums for them.

I think Frenchies were bred to be overly affectionate. Ours will jump on any stranger's lap, such as someone sitting in a park (the dog park, especially, where spayed/neutered dogs are allowed off-leash). It's sweet, but one doesn't feel "special" knowing she'll jump on any lap she sees. Mine's friendly, but only after an introduction. She does get angry and aggressive with cyclists, though. I'm not sure how to train her out of that. Fortunately, bicycles are not allowed in Runyon Canyon Park (dogs also allowed off-leash in most of the park). Once this dude passed us on a 1-wheeled motorized skateboard, and I'm glad we were in the leashed section of the park, because she went almost ballistic. That being said, she goes unleashed almost every day at one of two parks, and she's always been well-behaved when off-leash. She's only lunged/acted aggressively (mainly to cyclists) when on her leash. 

image.thumb.png.c890cc4aa7458d0cb0337573d27e137f.png

image.png.7cc18f1c52ade83ab0edd9797d840731.png

Edited by Unicorn

I am a larger dog lover. I have a championship breed Golden Retriever that is eight years old. This is my second Golden from this professional breeder. He always gets the looks and compliments; I have even had people stop their car to tell me how beautiful he is. I will be retired when he reaches the end of his normal life span and I am conflicted if I would like to have another golden at that time, I think it will be nice to travel freely and enjoy a home with less fur. Fur is everywhere and you will never be able to keep your house free of it.