Who here had the oldest parents?

samhexum

My father was 35 when I was born and my Mother was 40.

They had very old fashioned views about life, and were not at all modern, so it was a hell of an upbringing.

Very restrictive and their lack of energy/ enthusiasm due to their age impacted me greatly.

I was restricted from joining things, because they could not be bothered to run me around, but made me attend things like Scouts were I was badly bullied.

I’m sorry.

• 10 months later...

But seriously…

My father is still living, and was the oldest of my two parents. He was 30 when I was born and my mother 21. She died just this past November from COVID, so that clock has stopped.

My grandma is who was my “real” mom though. She raised me from the time I was 11. I always figured I’d have to say goodbye to her before my actual mother, but fate had a different idea. Grandma is still going at 90…I still call her daily, although she’s not the woman she once was. Dementia is a fucking bitch. And she has CLL, which causes issues. If her husband were still alive, my grandfather, he’d be 114.

I have stepparents too. Stepfather is 18 years older than me and my stepmother is 29 years older than me. All over the board in other words. 

4 hours ago, xyz48B said:

But seriously…

My father is still living, and was the oldest of my two parents. He was 30 when I was born and my mother 21. She died just this past November from COVID, so that clock has stopped.

My grandma is who was my “real” mom though. She raised me from the time I was 11. I always figured I’d have to say goodbye to her before my actual mother, but fate had a different idea. Grandma is still going at 90…I still call her daily, although she’s not the woman she once was. Dementia is a fucking bitch. And she has CLL, which causes issues. If her husband were still alive, my grandfather, he’d be 114.

I have stepparents too. Stepfather is 18 years older than me and my stepmother is 29 years older than me. All over the board in other words. 

Condolences on the loss of your mom.

4 hours ago, CuriousByNature said:

Condolences on the loss of your mom.

It is fine. My mother and I had a difficult relationship, we loved each other.

I do appreciate your words, though. Thank you. It wasn’t always the healthiest relationship with her, but I feel her absence…

Anyhow, we don’t have to dwell on that.

My father died at age 70 and my mother died a few weeks shy of her 89th b'day.  Healthwise, my father was a trainwreck.  My mother also was in poor health, but obviously not so poor that she didn't live a long time.  She was a crazy as a loon from vascular dementia the last few years before she died.

Edited by Rudynate
typos

On 2/17/2021 at 6:27 PM, samhexum said:

My dad will soon be coming up on his 114th birthday, though we haven't celebrated it since he died in 1992. He was 55 & my mom was 41 when I was born.

Can anyone beat that?

Not personally no.  But his father was 61 years old when my grandfather was born.  The great-grandfather was born in 1824.

Edited by Rudynate
correction

On 3/12/2022 at 7:09 AM, Tygerscent said:

My great aunt was my adult mentor and example… She was born Feb 12th 1901~ She passed away in 2000.

Does that count~?🤔 

My mom died in May of 2020 at the age of 96. Her decline from good health was rapid but I was not allowed to visit her (Covid restrictions) until her very final days.... so my mental image jumps from a person of good health to a dying woman with nothing in between.

I also realized that she could have been 196 and it would still feel painful.

3 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

Conversely...I'd be interested to ask who had the youngest parents.

This category grants many blessings....having your parents AND grandparents around for many years.

Even my great grandparents were alive until I went to college.

In families with short generations I guess is would be possible to even have a great-great grandparent alive when someone is 20 years old...  parent 40, grandparent 60, great grandparent 80 and great-great grandparent 100.  That's awesome you got to know your great-grandparents.  Did they live long enough to see a 5th generation?

3 hours ago, CuriousByNature said:

In families with short generations I guess is would be possible to even have a great-great grandparent alive

Yes. My cousin got knocked up in high school and her daughter did the same...and then her daughter married shortly after high school so my Auntie did have several joyful years of holding her great-great grandbaby. 

Of course this kind of requires everyone in your family to be a huge slut that gets pregnant in high school.....😂

3 hours ago, CuriousByNature said:

That's awesome you got to know your great-grandparents.  Did they live long enough to see a 5th generation?

Unfortunately that responsibility would have been on either me or my brother and we both married late in life compared to the rest of our rural farming ancestors.

I do have great memories of going hunting with my "pappy" ( great grandfather) when I was a teenager.

My paternal grandparents were born in Slovenia.  My grandmother got pregnant with my oldest aunt at age 13.  My grandfather was 15 at the time.  My grandfather didn't live all the near my grandmother so when he returned the next summer he was presented with a baby daughter.  Their marriage was arranged immediately thus they were 14 and 16 when the got married.  Now believe this one - the year my grandmother died they had just celebrated their 80th wedding anniversary.  My grandfathers health was not all that bad but at my grandmothers funeral he announced that he and Marie had been together for eighty plus years and if she went he was going also.  He died in his sleep three months later. 

Edited by Epigonos

5 minutes ago, Epigonos said:

My paternal grandparents were born in Slovenia.  My grandmother got pregnant with my oldest aunt at age 13.  My grandfather was 15 at the time.  My grandfather didn't live all the near my grandmother so when he returned the next summer he was presented with a baby daughter.  Their marriage was arranged immediately thus they were 14 and 16 when the got married.  Now believe this one - the year my grandmother died they had just celebrated their 80th wedding anniversary.  My grandfathers health was not all that bad but at my grandmothers funeral he announced that he and Marie had been together for eighty plus years and if she went he was going also.  He died in his sleep three months later. 

Where did they live in Slovenia?  lake Bled?

WilliamM my grandfather was born in Trifail, Slovenia and my grandmother was born in Hrastnik, Slovenia.  However, they never considered themselves from Slovenia.  When they were born it was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and thus they always said they were from Austria.  When my grandmother and her three oldest children came to the U.S. in 1910 they passed through Vienna.  I remember my father telling me that he remembered seeing the old Emperor Franz Joseph riding in a carriage down the main street of Vienna.  Damn that sounds like ancient history doesn't it!!!!!

7 hours ago, Epigonos said:

80 years - they celebrated their oak anniversary according to the lists that designate names to auspicious anniversary years...

9 hours ago, Epigonos said:

WilliamM my grandfather was born in Trifail, Slovenia and my grandmother was born in Hrastnik, Slovenia.  However, they never considered themselves from Slovenia.  When they were born it was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and thus they always said they were from Austria.  When my grandmother and her three oldest children came to the U.S. in 1910 they passed through Vienna.  I remember my father telling me that he remembered seeing the old Emperor Franz Joseph riding in a carriage down the main street of Vienna.  Damn that sounds like ancient history doesn't it!!!!!

Wow… Franz Joseph & Empress Elizabeth~ …that’s some amazing slice of history your grandmother witnessed~!

On 3/12/2021 at 2:25 PM, FreshFluff said:

There’s almost no limit as to how late women can give birth using a transferred embryo and hormones. (Of course, risks skyrocket after a certain point.) I can’t imagine a spontaneous pregnancy happening that late. Maybe at 45.

Of course, for men, the sky’s the limit. But again, risks of certain problems increase after 40.

My mother had my youngest sister when she was 43.  It was very weird - she'd had a full-time stillbirth only 13 or 14 months before - it was almost as though she got pregnant again because she felt cheated by the stillbirth.

13 hours ago, Epigonos said:

On my great-grandfather's application for naturalization as a US citizen, it said that he was renouncing his allegiance to the King of Bavaria.