Who here had the oldest parents?

samhexum

Myophile my maternal grandfather was born in Virginia five years before the start of the Civil War (He always called it the War Between the States).  He was born and lived on the family's large farm in Western Virginia.  His family was NOT a part of the Piedmont Plantation Aristocracy.  He died when I was young but I do remember hearing him talk about living under the Union occupation.  His father eventually lost the farm to taxes and the family moved first to Kansas and then Colorado.  My grandfather became an engineer on the Denver, Rio Grand Railroad and ended up settling in Springville, Utah where my mother was born.  None of her siblings joined the Mormon Church but many of their children did.  As my mother was one of nine children I have tons of Mormon relatives on that side of the family.  On my fathers side the family is Roman Catholic.  The two religions make quite a combination. I always laugh and say that a third of my family is Mormon, a third is Roman Catholic, a sixth is Evangelical Christian and a sixth, myself included, is devoutly nothing.

Edited by Epigonos

My father passed away at 86 last month. He got the Delta variant in April 2021, survived the infection. But it impacted his heart . In early Jan he got Omicron, survived that too. But by the end of Jan his heart gave away. My mom is still alive at 86 and survived two Covid infections.

All my life I had dreaded the moment when my parents would start passing away. But when my father passed, after the initial bout of sadness, I was alright. Having seen so much death and turmoil over the last two years, I am glad he passed away without suffering too much.  

My hope was he would live for another 2-3 years, the climate of fear and anxiety would pass, and he would pass under happier circumstances. But now I am glad he did last month. With talks of world war III and the nuclear threat, I was wrong about happier days returning soon.

On 3/17/2022 at 11:44 AM, Epigonos said:

Myophile my maternal grandfather was born in Virginia five years before the start of the Civil War (He always called it the War Between the States).  He was born and lived on the family's large farm in Western Virginia.  His family was NOT a part of the Piedmont Plantation Aristocracy.  He died when I was young but I do remember hearing him talk about living under the Union occupation.  His father eventually lost the farm to taxes and the family moved first to Kansas and then Colorado.  My grandfather became an engineer on the Denver, Rio Grand Railroad and ended up settling in Springville, Utah where my mother was born.  None of her siblings joined the Mormon Church but many of their children did.  As my mother was one of nine children I have tons of Mormon relatives on that side of the family.  On my fathers side the family is Roman Catholic.  The two religions make quite a combination. I always laugh and say that a third of my family is Mormon, a third is Roman Catholic, a sixth is Evangelical Christian and a sixth, myself included, is devoutly nothing.

My paternal grandfather was born in northern Germany, lived latterly in Norway, and immigrated to the US in 1902, so took no part in post-Civil War US history. However, I just recently learned that my family’s “origin story” starts with grandfather Johann  abandoning a wife and daughter in Oslo in order to elope to the US, at age 37, with an 18-year-old girl who became (practically, if not legally …) my paternal grandmother. It appears that I’m not the first male in my family to make a hobby of following his dick, LOL.

Edited by myophile

• 11 months later...
  • 10 months later...
On 3/12/2021 at 2:25 PM, FreshFluff said:

There’s almost no limit as to how late women can give birth using a transferred embryo and hormones. (Of course, risks skyrocket after a certain point.) I can’t imagine a spontaneous pregnancy happening that late. Maybe at 45.

Of course, for men, the sky’s the limit. But again, risks of certain problems increase after 40.

My mother was extraordinarily fertile - she had 10 full-term pregnancies, one of which was a stillbirth.  At age 43, she gave birth to my youngest sister - only 14 months after the stillbirth.

Edited by Rudynate
correction

A common theme I'm seeing with the ages here is that while it was highly common to have many, many kids back in the early 1900s, and nobody blinked twice, the ages of people's grandparents and parents between each other was regularly a bit of an age gap. Two of my grandparents had about a 10 year difference in age between them. The oldest one got to see Halley's comet twice - if he cared, but he didn't! He was a hard-working man his entire life, the "Chef of Boulder Dam" when that was being built. 

My family for generations routinely had kids starting in their 30s, so it's very common for my cousins close in age to me being "less related" than their mom or dad. One of my cousins was a grandfather before he was 34!

My dad was 50 and my mother was 38 when I was born. Unfortunately, my dad died suddenly when I was 17 and my mother died when I was 27 of complications of diabetes. Not a day goes by that I don’t think of  both of them. They were great parents. I only wish they’d lived  longer, and I especially would’ve liked to be able to talk to my dad as an adult and for both of them to see what I did with my life. While, some of my successes is due to my hard work, it was my parents who nurtured me and gave me a great upbringing with rules and boundaries which pointed me in a positive direction. 

Edited by BobPS

• 1 month later...
On 1/23/2024 at 9:31 AM, BobPS said:

My dad was 50 and my mother was 38 when I was born. Unfortunately, my dad died suddenly when I was 17 and my mother died when I was 27 of complications of diabetes. Not a day goes by that I don’t think of  both of them. They were great parents. I only wish they’d lived  longer, and I especially would’ve liked to be able to talk to my dad as an adult and for both of them to see what I did with my life. While, some of my successes is due to my hard work, it was my parents who nurtured me and gave me a great upbringing with rules and boundaries which pointed me in a positive direction. 

You really should watch the movie All of Us Strangers, but not if you have free (commercials) Hulu.

On 1/23/2024 at 2:21 PM, Charlie said:

I marked my mother's 120th birthday a couple of weeks ago. Of course, she was not here to celebrate (the last one for which we had a party was the 102nd).  My father's 118th is coming up on Groundhog Day (he's not here either).

Mu dad turned 117 Monday, a mere 32 years after he died.

4 hours ago, Rod Hagen said:

You really should watch the movie All of Us Strangers, but not if you have free (commercials) Hulu.

Just watched it; great movie. Never saw the ending coming.

4 minutes ago, Km411 said:

Just watched it; great movie. Never saw the ending coming.

Very glad you liked it.  Yes, the ending is a slap upside your heart and brain; I mentioned the movie in this thread because we are talking about parents and lost parents.

Edited by Rod Hagen