What are you old enough to remember?

7829V

• 4 weeks later...

Cars have come a long way. I remember:

3 on the tree. (a 3 speed manual transmission with the gear shift lever on the steering column).

GM automatic transmissions with R (reverse) in the last position after L, not the 2nd position after P (park).

Push button transmissions with buttons on the dashboard of Chrysler cars, and the center of the steering wheel on Edsels before they’ve made a reappearance in the last few years.

Rear view mirrors mounted on the dashboard of Chrysler cars.

Cigarette lighters and multiple ashtrays in every car.

Manual chokes on the dashboard, and having to let the car warm up In winter.

Drum breaks that you had to apply after going through water so they would work when you needed them.

”shagging” cars in the winter, where you grabbed onto the bumper, crouched down so the driver didn’t see you in his mirror, and let the car take you down the snowy side street. Easy way to get home after school if wearing street shoes, not boots.

Edited by bashful

We were issued dog tags in elementary school. I still have mine. School was shut down early a couple of times so that we (students) could see how fast we could walk home in case of a military attack. This was around 1962-63.

I had a shark skateboard. I gave it away a few weeks ago to one of my hires who saw it in a stack of stuff I was readying to donate to Goodwill...

Cars have come a long way. I remember:

3 on the tree. (a 3 speed manual transmission with the gear shift lever on the steering column).

GM automatic transmissions with R (reverse) in the last position after L, not the 2nd position after P (park).

Push button transmissions with buttons on the dashboard of Chrysler cars, and the center of the steering wheel on Edsels before they’ve made a reappearance in the last few years.

Rear view mirrors mounted on the dashboard of Chrysler cars.

Cigarette lighters and multiple ashtrays in every car.

Manual chokes on the dashboard, and having to let the car warm up In winter.

Drum breaks that you had to apply after going through water so they would work when you needed them.

”shagging” cars in the winter, where you grabbed onto the bumper, crouched down so the driver didn’t see you in his mirror, and let the car take you down the snowy side street. Easy way to get home after school if wearing street shoes, not boots.

I had a 1958 Plymouth Fury with the pushbutton transmission. One of the sexiest cars I ever owned.

I remember this chocolate bar called BAR NONE. I loved it back in the late 80s but somehow Hershey's discontinued it (poor sales probably.)

I remember watching Greg Louganis on TV and having a HUGE crush on him back in the 80s.

I remember getting excited learning Melrose Place had a gay character.

No zipcodes

no area codes

gas at 25 cents/gallon

streetcars on Woodward Ave/Detroit

home delivery/milk..bread...

my 1st day in kindergarten

TV only on in the afternoon til 11pm

I had never even imagined a world without those until your post.

TV stations were either UHF, or VHF.

Networks were on UHF. 2 was CBS, 4 (in Detroit) was NBC (not 5 like most cities), and 7 was ABC. We also got 9, the Canadian station. 9 had the afternoon dance show for teens (think American Bandstand, or the movie Hairspray) called “Swingin‘ Time”. Many high caliber performers, still revered today.

VHF were the local stations. 50, 56 (public TV), and 62.

Edited by bashful

Last night I tossed an ice cube in the sink and it popped out onto the floor. It made me think of the Super Ball fad in the 60s. Any of you get caught up in that craze?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Ball

Super Ball became a fad when it was introduced. Peak production reached over 170,000 Super Balls per day. By December 1965, over six million had been sold, and U.S. Presidential adviser McGeorge Bundy had five dozen shipped to the White House for the amusement of the staff. Wham-O Executive Vice-president Richard P. Knerr knew that fads are short-lived. "Each Super Ball bounce is 92% as high as the last," he once said. "If our sales don't come down any faster than that, we've got it made." Initially, the full-sized Super Ball sold for 98¢ at retail; by the end of 1966, its colorful miniature versions sold for as little as 10¢ in vending machines.

s-l300.jpg

TV stations were either UHF, or VHF.

Networks were on UHF. 2 was CBS, 4 (in Detroit) was NBC (not 5 like most cities), and 7 was ABC. We also got 9, the Canadian station. 9 had the afternoon dance show for teens (think American Bandstand, or the movie Hairspray) called “Swingin‘ Time”. Many high caliber performers, still revered today.

VHF were the local stations. 50, 56 (public TV), and 62.

Oh yes, Bill Kennedy at the Movies ( a bit player who knew EVERYONE in Hollywood ) and told stories after the commercial breaks while smoking. Rita Bell also had an afternoon movie show. All the classics, I think it was a rule these films all had to be black and white.

So many Canadian kids TV programs on UHF and Channel 9, until it was time for hockey. That is why I am so nice and polite ?

Canada is also responsible for transmitting Benny Hill and Space 1999 across the border.

As we got older, Creature Feature and “The Ghoul” sponsored the horror movies, and a lot of Detroit Tiger baseball - all pre cable.

Last night I tossed an ice cube in the sink and it popped out onto the floor. It made me think of the Super Ball fad in the 60s. Any of you get caught up in that craze?

Super Ball became a fad when it was introduced. Peak production reached over 170,000 Super Balls per day. By December 1965, over six million had been sold, and U.S. Presidential adviser McGeorge Bundy had five dozen shipped to the White House for the amusement of the staff. Wham-O Executive Vice-president Richard P. Knerr knew that fads are short-lived. "Each Super Ball bounce is 92% as high as the last," he once said. "If our sales don't come down any faster than that, we've got it made." Initially, the full-sized Super Ball sold for 98¢ at retail; by the end of 1966, its colorful miniature versions sold for as little as 10¢ in vending machines.

s-l300.jpg

Anything Wham-o was cool....I mean come on: the Hula Hoop, Frisbee, slip-n-slide (loved it!).

s-l300.jpg

Luci Baines Johnson was living in the White House then. Thanks, Unicorn.

Every once in a while I'll close my eyes and look back to my early childhood...We lived in a huge house in the Boston-Edison area of Detroit..When I couldn't go out to play my mom would move the furniture out of the way in the living room and let me ride my tricycle or get boxes to make a fort...or play the record player (78 rpm) and dance with me. We had a 3 story home with a basemnt making it 4 stories...My Grandma lived with us and had a kitchen in the basement..On Friday we would walk to the Dexter-Davison grocery store and pick out either a live chicken or sturgeon (?)...Grandma would strangle the chicken and cut the head off..hang it upside down on the clothes line. My job was to pluck the feathers and then burn the stubble with a match....Good times!

Edited by thickornotatall

Every once in a while I'll close my eyes and look back to my early childhood...We lived in a huge house in the Boston-Edison area of Detroit..When I couldn't go out to play my mom would move the furniture out of the way in the living room and let me ride my tricycle or get boxes to make a fort...or play the record player (78 rpm) and dance with me. We had a 3 story home with a basemnt making it 4 stories...My Grandma lived with us and had a kitchen in the basement..On Friday we would walk to the Dexter-Davison grocery store and pick out either a live chicken or sturgeon (?)...Grandma would strangle the chicken and cut the head off..hang it upside down on the clothes line. My job was to pluck the feathers and then burn the stubble with a match....Good times!

Beautiful homes in that area.

My parents lived near there before they moved out to the west side. I remember when they got together with their friends they would talk about my father speeding down Woodrow Wilson. When I was a kid he‘d take me with him to buy smoked fish at the Dexter-Davison market. I would wait in the car while he went in.

Edited by bashful