Should I open gay bar or club when Covid is over

Poincare
This topic is 1204 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That sounds like fun. I have similar ideas running through my head for when I retire earlier than conventional.

But first, meet with someone in the business (maybe the owner of your favorite gay bar in a different city) to ask lots of questions and listen for advice. Maybe start by working as a bartender then manager of another gay bar in your city to learn the industry and see what works and what doesn't without risking your own money.

When you do decide to open a bar, meet with your city councilman early and often. They may know of certain buildings in their district which the city may help subsidize renovations. You need to start dialogue with city councilman as soon as you're contemplating locations, because they may be adamantly against any bar or night club in a location that you think would be ideal.

I'm the meantime, research the costs and requirements for liquor licenses in your city.

If you find an empty building which already had a liquor license, check to see if ADA or fire sprinkler upgrades will be required by the city before you open. Sometimes, a new business is required to make those improvements if too much time has lapsed since the space was last used

When I was young, if I wanted to have sex, I'd have to go to a bar. The only times I've gone to a bar in the last several years is if I want to ogle and/or fondle the gogo boys (one of the reasons I moved to LA). Do people still go to the bars for any other reason?

Haven’t been to a bar in years and honestly gay bars may be a thing of the past. The last gay bar in my city was a mixed bar of mostly straight people and some gay people. I’m sure it depends on where you live. The biggest cities NYC,LA probably still have gay bars but as crowds get younger the need will be less since they are integrated into the mainstream.

Sorry I’m Debbie downer...but honestly I think a better proposal would be a room rental business since everyone is looking to hookup but they don’t have a place to do it. Rent a room for an hour, do your business and be on your way. I know there is way more to the idea but after reading so many profiles of guys saying they can’t host...there is a business in being able to provide such such a space.

Eventhough I am a VERY old queen, I never liked a gay bar.... Even in my youth, the gay bar for ME was a bunch of lonely old queers sitting around a piano singing show tunes... That was MY perception. And now in the days of finding a hookup by merely swiping on your smartphone, the Gay bat is a relic, a dinosaur in the Jetsons age...... AND its very hard these days for ANY small business to succeed.

Eventhough I am a VERY old queen, I never liked a gay bar.... Even in my youth, the gay bar for ME was a bunch of lonely old queers sitting around a piano singing show tunes... That was MY perception. And now in the days of finding a hookup by merely swiping on your smartphone, the Gay bat is a relic, a dinosaur in the Jetsons age...... AND its very hard these days for ANY small business to succeed.

What? Sitting around a piano, singing show tunes is no longer popular?

So I will be able to retire in 2 years at 55 years old. I have money to take care of myself and live a very nice life with travel etc....thinking of doing something exciting and worthwhile after I retire and I am considering open a gay bar/club. I live in Philly. What do you think?

Message me if you would like to discuss. I’d be happy to share.

So I will be able to retire in 2 years at 55 years old. I have money to take care of myself and live a very nice life with travel etc....thinking of doing something exciting and worthwhile after I retire and I am considering open a gay bar/club. I live in Philly. What do you think?

Bad idea if making money is of concern.

if you treat it as a hobby and have “unlimited” funds, go ahead.

“I have to tell you, a restaurant is a very tricky investment — over half of them go out of business in the first six months. If I were your accountant, I’d have to strongly advise you against it.”

“You’re not my accountant.”

“I realize I’m not your accountant. [Pause.] I’m just saying … if I were your accountant … “

-- "The Duke" (Charles Grodin) in Midnight Run

I would think that a bar is a "very tricky investment" also.

Rumor has it that Mar-a-Lago members are leaving by the dozen. Save your millions, wait for bankruptcy and buy it! Turn it into a GLBTQ friendly resort. I will be your first customer! Just please confirm that you had the place fumigated and sanitized! :)

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/24/business/mar-a-lago-donald-trump-guests/index.html

I was involved in creating, funding, and running a gay bar in Colorado in the early '90s... we got into it after a group of friends were arrested driving home from Denver, and decided a safe community bar was long overdue... the reality of running a bar is significantly different than being a patron... suddenly you're aware of thin margins, impossible to satisfy customers, and reality of how large groups of people behave when they're drunk... if I can give two pieces of advice: hire a very competent bar manager and pay them a living wage, and also establish a practice of allowing patrons to hand their car keys to the bar staff for safe keeping in return for cab fare home... after two years it completely changed my view of bars, and took years before I could return to enjoying them as a customer. @Poincare feel free to message me if you'd like to discuss...

It’s more likely to own you and make for a miserable retirement. Bars are tough...a half ounce on the pour can make a difference between profit and loss and your money is tied up in liquid assets that can flow freely where they shouldn’t be.

Having owned various hospitality businesses listen to Benjamin Nicolas & MikeBiDude.

Solely gay establishments are fast becoming a thing of the past.

I'd say a place that does great food could make a profit, if it becomes fashionable but the profit on alcohol is actually not as much as people think.

A gay friendly bar/food led business has a good chance but as always it's about location and the money to acquire and run it.

Bad idea if making money is of concern.

if you treat it as a hobby and have “unlimited” funds, go ahead.

I have entertained the notion that if I won the lottery, I would start up my own strip club (full-monty of course - thongs? pffft). Of course I wouldn't make a dime; quite the opposite, I'd expect to lose money. But I'd hire a damn good manager to stanch the bleeding.

I know a retiree who spends a fortune, and I mean a freakin' fortune, on golf (club dues, lessons, traveling all over the world to play on his dream courses). I'm prepared to spend on my retirement "hobby" what he spends on that silly pastime. I mean, come on, what's more fun? Obsessing over a little white ball or obsessing over some young stud's goody package??

I'd love it if Hooters became Pecs or Buns or something like that... it'd be great if half of it was for straight men and the other half (with the better food of course ;) ) was for gay men. Imagine really hot gorgeous guys in very tight tank tops and orange thongs serving you onion rings and cheese fries.... yes!

https://www.eater.com/2019/7/5/20682333/tallywackers-hooters-men-dallas-texas

nebQWoe.png