Does Anyone Here Pay For Print News? (Newspaper)

Lucky
This topic is 1090 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Detroit Free Press went digital long ago and subscribers got Thursday, Friday, and Sunday editions in print. A few years later I discontinued the print since I realized it was a touch cheaper, I'd used them for nothing but fireplace starter, and my fireplace was broken. :cool: I get a couple magazines from persistent publications who keep sending me their magazines even though I no longer pay.

The Economist

How do you get anything done during the week? I subscribed to The Economist for one year and it was terrible! Every article is good. Every fucking one, and their app was miles ahead of the other magazine apps right out of the gate, so I found myself reading it to the exclusion of anything else, books, newspapers, other magazines. I had to get rid of it. Out of site out of mind.

The Detroit Free Press went digital long ago and subscribers got Thursday, Friday, and Sunday editions in print. A few years later I discontinued the print since I realized it was a touch cheaper, I'd used them for nothing but fireplace starter, and my fireplace was broken. :cool: I get a couple magazines from persistent publications who keep sending me their magazines even though I no longer pay.

I was a paper boy. I delivered the Detroit News on our street in Detroit. Did it after school since it was the afternoon paper. Free Press was the morning paper. When I got older, I preferred the Free Press. When they went with the joint operating agreement, I felt like something was lost, like each had lost their identity.

I got Crain's Chicago Business for two years after not renewing my subscription.

Now I have to show my age

I was in high school in the early 60's and extremely republican (even then I preferred anyone but Goldwater)

Students could get the NYT everyday at school or the Herald Tribune (the Trib had better political cartoons, and Art Buckwald)

our small group of republican students took pride that each morning there was a large stack of NYT and small stack of Tribune outside the cafeteria

This in the day when we had Republicans to brag about (John Lindsay, Romney, Rockefeller, Dirksen, Baker)

Edited by DERRIK

How do you get anything done during the week? I subscribed to The Economist for one year and it was terrible! Every article is good. Every fucking one, and their app was miles ahead of the other magazine apps right out of the gate, so I found myself reading it to the exclusion of anything else, books, newspapers, other magazines. I had to get rid of it. Out of site out of mind.

Well it helps to be retired but MY trick is to read it back to front. By the time you reach the news at the front you find it’s “old” news and you breeze thru it swiftly.

If time is an issue I commend https://www.theweek.com/ It gives you a short précis of both sides of the major news stories with quotes from the major columnists.

Now I have to show my age

I was in high school in the early 60's and extremely republican (even then I preferred anyone but Goldwater)

Students could get the NYT everyday at school or the Herald Tribune (the Trib had better cartoons, and Art Buckwald)

our small group of republican students took pride that each morning there was a large stack of NYT and small stack of Tribune outside the cafeteria

This in the day when we had Republicans to brag about (John Lindsay, Romney, Rockefeller, Dirksen, Baker)

FYI. RBG’s late cousin Richard (they grew up like brother and sister) was a member of Lindsay’s brain trust. Dick created the first 911 system and managed the construction of the Police HQ (finished early and under budget). Both Lindsay and RBG spoke at his funeral. The long and the short of it.

I subscribe online to the NYT and Toronto‘s Globe & Mail newspapers. I also have a subscription to the local small town newspaper and one which is a weekly. Here in Canada we have an excellent public news organization that operates Television broadcast, radio and now digital news called the CBC or Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. I read all these sources pretty religiously and listen to the radio as well since the CBC has numerous interesting programs. Together with the extensive reading of books that I constantly have on the go, I consider myself a well informed citizen.

I am considering dropping the $20 a month LA Times with Sunday delivery. In return I would get the NY Times with weekend delivery at $30 for the first year. But without Broadway, will the NY Times be worth it over the LA Times?

Edited by Lucky

I should have mentioned that the books I favour tend to be biographies or histories. I have a broad interpretation of histories so they can include all sorts of stories of human events, art, theatre, dance, music and travel. A smattering of the classics too. In my library, I have the 25 volumes of the Nineth Edition of the Encyclopaedia Britannica (1875-89) which is known as the Scholars Edition even today as some of the most famous scholars of the late nineteenth century contributed to its production. It’s hard to beat for historical details and easy to look up as one full volume is devoted to an index. It does take a lot of room on my shelves though and over the years has been a bitch to move! Knowing our collective history as the human species helps to make more sense of what we read in the newspapers every day as it provides context to current events and a valuable perspective to judge what is going on now against what has happened in our past.

that's why I'd only buy The Economist when I was going on a long flight (pre-pandemic)!

I am considering dropping the $20 a month LA Times with Sunday delivery. In return I would get the NY Times with weekend delivery at $30 for the first year. But without Broadway, will the NY Times be worth it over the LA Times?

You’re fortunate to have those choices @Lucky. When I moved to Laredo,TX 11 years ago you could pick up a NYTimes in your local Starbucks. That ended about 8 years ago. There’s no print edition of the NYTimes available that I know of south of San Antonio save maybe in Corpus Christi if you can find it.

So if you would, please save the NYTimes crossword for me. Thanks ?

I have a print subscription to my local paper, Newsday, and The Nation which is bi-weekly. When I was in college, I had the NYT daily and The Economist. I'm thinking about a digital subscription to the Washington Post.

I'd go back to getting the Times but their op-ed page and the way they cover Washington pisses me off too much to subscribe. Sad because their true investigative pieces are great. People like Peter Baker and Maggie Haberman commit too much journalistic malpractice.

Oh and I get the print edition of the Laredo Morning Times daily or at least on those days when I have to break quarantine. I’m addicted to crossword puzzles - even the ones that take less than 5 minutes to solve. Electronic crossword puzzles aren’t the same. And yes I do them in ink. Just like the NYTimes one when I lived there. And if I travel to SA Houston or Corpus or anywhere north, my first stop is to pick up a print edition of the NYTimes - for the crossword puzzle.

I buy the Sunday Seattle Times so that I can do the NYT and LAT Sunday crosswords, in ink. It’s worth the $3. The rest of the paper goes in the recycle bin.