Does Anyone Here Pay For Print News? (Newspaper)

Lucky
This topic is 1059 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Yesterday I received an offer from the NY Times. I could get the print edition on weekends (Fri-Sun) and everyday digital access.

The offer was for one year at $390. After that it doubled to $780.

I get the Sunday LA Times and digital for about $20 a month- $240 annually.

I get the digital Washington Post for $99 a year, but first-timers can get it for $29.

I get the digital Desert Sun which is like saying that I get air since it is so minimal, but $59 a year.

The Wall Street Journal is impossible. Even the discount offers are high.

What about you? Any good ones?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, the NY Times offer is for the National Edition.

I forgot to mention that I get the digital SF Chronicle. It was $99 for two years!

But, as you can see, I get a lot of digital when I want print.

I'm not familiar with SF Chronicle. I lean towards the LA Times but not sure I'd take time to keep up with it. Maybe I should try their Sunday edition.

I'm not familiar with SF Chronicle. I lean towards the LA Times but not sure I'd take time to keep up with it. Maybe I should try their Sunday edition.

It doesn't take long to keep up with the Sunday LA Times. It has the heft of the old Friday edition. Lack of classified ads mean less paper, but also less staff writing articles.

I do pay for print - a lot! Subscriptions include daily NY Times, Wall St. Journal, and my local daily newspaper, all print and digital, plus two digital-only subscriptions to two regional newspapers. I have experimented with reading the digital editions and then picking up the print edition. I always find I miss quite a bit with the digital version.

I have digital access to the New York Times for $4.24 a month, the rate I've had for the past several years. Next month it goes up to $15.90 per month. So, I'll have to call the paper to cancel and the nice lady will ask me if I would continue for another year at $4.24 a month, which I will agree to. It's a ritual that me and the nice lady at the NYT perform every year.

It's the same way with Sirius XM for my car - every year it is supposed to go up to something like $226 a year - so I call and cancel the day before the renewal and they offer it to me at $126 a year - another annual ritual (this has gone on for so many years they don't even make a pretense of negotiating, they just give me the discount when I tell them who I am). Make sure you mark the renewal date on your calendar so it doesn't flip to the regular rate.

I also subscribe to the local paper, the "Curious-Journal" (Courier-Journal) - digital. It's not really worth it anymore since they cut their staff down to bare bones and all you get is basic news (which you can get from local online radio/TV stations), comics, sports, and, on Sunday, photos of the interiors of rich people's homes. However, on weekdays you also get USA Today, so it makes it somewhat worth it. Again, come renewal time, I call to cancel and they give me about half off, which is about what the CJ is worth.

I had the print edition of the CJ but they kept throwing it in the street.

I would like to subscribe to WAPO but I am not sure they negotiate. I think they want $39 for an introductory annual digital rate which goes up to $100 after a year. I'll probably give it a try one of these days though I'm not sure that I would read it daily like I do the NYT and the local rag.

I have digital access to the New York Times for $4.24 a month, the rate I've had for the past several years. Next month it goes up to $15.90 per month. So, I'll have to call the paper to cancel and the nice lady will ask me if I would continue for another year at $4.24 a month, which I will agree to. It's a ritual that me and the nice lady at the NYT perform every year.

It's the same way with Sirius XM for my car - every year it is supposed to go up to something like $226 a year - so I call and cancel the day before the renewal and they offer it to me at $126 a year - another annual ritual (this has gone on for so many years they don't even make a pretense of negotiating, they just give me the discount when I tell them who I am). Make sure you mark the renewal date on your calendar so it doesn't flip to the regular rate.

I also subscribe to the local paper, the "Curious-Journal" (Courier-Journal) - digital. It's not really worth it anymore since they cut their staff down to bare bones and all you get is basic news (which you can get from local online radio/TV stations), comics, sports, and, on Sunday, photos of the interiors of rich people's homes. However, on weekdays you also get USA Today, so it makes it somewhat worth it. Again, come renewal time, I call to cancel and they give me about half off, which is about what the CJ is worth.

I had the print edition of the CJ but they kept throwing it in the street.

I would like to subscribe to WAPO but I am not sure they negotiate. I think they want $39 for an introductory annual digital rate which goes up to $100 after a year. I'll probably give it a try one of these days though I'm not sure that I would read it daily like I do the NYT and the local rag.

My sister and I both have found the WAPO more to our tastes than the NYTimes.

*raises hand* Yep.

NYT (daily)

Dallas Morning News (daily)

Chicago Tribune (Weekend)

Key West Citizen (weekly)

Variety (tried daily and it overtook my mailbox, had to go weekly)

All print. I love newspapers.

Do you get print editions at your home in Dallas? I assume the DMN and the NYT, but the others?

Yes, but we have been migrating to all digital for years for the papers, magazines, and journals. Plus, with the new apple one service, it'll likely be the most convenient for everyone in the family to access such content wherever and whenever they wish. At least, that's the hope. We'll see how it actually functions once they launch it.

I get the New York Times daily. It has been frustrating to remain a print subscriber in recent months because of frequent delivery issues. If I end up a digital subscriber it will be a result of exacerbation. While the reporters and folks who run the presses are unionized, newspapers have contracted out delivery and it pays poorly.

Print/Digital:

• The New Yorker (Print/Digital offer was less expensive than digital only)
  • Architectural Digest
  • Men's Health (Same deal as The New Yorker)

Digital Only:

• The Washington Post
  • The New York Times (considering cancellation unless I get a deal on print/digital)
  • The Arizona Republic
  • The Chicago Tribune
  • Dwell
  • Vanity Fair
  • The Wall Street Journal

Sunday editions of Chicago Tribune, and suburban Herald. Occasionally buy a Sun Times. Amazing how thin they are compared to just a few years ago.

I used to get the paper daily, but decided to cut it off when subscriptions became more expensive, and recently, deals via Groupon disappeared. They want more money for less paper.

I don't like digital, so sad to think someday, we may no longer have a paper to sit down with and read while having coffee.

Oh and I get the print edition of the Laredo Morning Times daily or at least on those days when I have to break quarantine. I’m addicted to crossword puzzles - even the ones that take less than 5 minutes to solve. Electronic crossword puzzles aren’t the same. And yes I do them in ink. Just like the NYTimes one when I lived there. And if I travel to SA Houston or Corpus or anywhere north, my first stop is to pick up a print edition of the NYTimes - for the crossword puzzle.

I miss the feel of holding and flipping through news papers and magazines, but there's just too much free news on line to pay what they are asking and most seemed to have gone digital anyway. Many free community newspapers still exist, also easy to pick up on corners or local libraries. I can't justify paying for the news anymore. ?? I still buy books though and make good use of my local public library. I just can't seem to read a digital book on any tablet or electronic gadget! ??