First Bigtime Concert

CatDaddy
This topic is 1271 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't remember that far back, but my early concerts were The Rolling Stones, the Beach Boys, Peter, Paul & Mary, and Deep Purple.

I had to leave the latter one early because the two guys who went with me got too stoned to enjoy it. (I didn't partake.)

UPDATE: I almost forgot! My sister begged me to take her and her friend to see The BEATLES in Cincinnati. So they bought my ticket and paid for the gas. The concert was rained out! So we came back on August 21st, 1966 to see Cyrkle open for them with their popular tune Red Rubber Ball. Then the Beatles came out to a bright sunshine to sing songs that no one could hear because the screams were so loud!

Edited by Lucky

Guest NYCRich212

Aerosmith Madison Square Garden, Ella Fitzgerald West Hartford, Donna Summer in NJ. Front row ( but sat next to a nun in full dress-serious fun killer).

I saw Judy Garland at Boston Garden when I was a college freshman and even brought a date . The concert was sold out. . I was too young to completely appreciate all the songs. Very talented Singer

Marlene Dietrich @ Coconut Grove, Miami.....I was 5 yrs old (brought along to the one-woman show / concert by my grandparents) & I def was way too young to appreciate the greatness of the history of that singer, femme fatale & early, early supporter of the LGBTQ culture.

Kiss at Cobo Arena in Detroit in January 1976. I've seen them again many times since then...most recently in August 2019 at the Bell Centre in Montreal.

We saw James Brown and The Famous Flames at what I remember as the old Cobo Hall...on Saturdays my friends and I took the 7 Mile Rd...2nd Ave bus to The Fox Theater to see the Motown Reviews...Little Stevie Wonder..Fingertips Pts 1 and 2...the bus fare..25 cents

.the ticket..75 cents..after donuts at Mayflower near JL Hudson...

Have seen a number 1) The Who doing all of Tommy at Fillmore East 2) The Pretenders at Radio City 3) Sarah Vaughn, Betty Carter with special guest Billy Eckstine at Carnegie Hall and also Patti Labelle. But, of course, being gay the best concert was The Richie Family at the Ice Palace on Fire Island.

as a young adult, I barely remember seeing King Oliver's Creole Jazz Band in Chicago in, I believe, 1923.......one of the biggest bands of that era.....sadly, King Oliver died in utter poverty in 1938 in Savannah........

Edited by azdr0710

as a youngster, I barely remember seeing King Oliver's Creole Jazz Band in Chicago in, I believe, 1923.......one of the biggest bands of that era.....sadly, King Oliver died in utter poverty in 1938 in Savannah........

Wait a minute! Does that mean you are now 100 years old or more?

Hmmm...my first arena concert was Billy Joel in the early 1980s. Had I waited in front of the Carson Pirie Scott store in the rain for the Ticketmaster window to open it would have been Madonna's Like a Virgin tour, but even college-age rvwnsd had the good sense to come in out of the rain!