Cilantro Pro Or Con/Yea Or Nay

Gar1eth
This topic is 847 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Nay. Tastes like soap. (And Earl Grey Tea does as well.)

Oh no, no, no-I'll have to beg to differ. Cilantro may taste like soap. I'm on the fence about it. But Earl Grey Tea is sublime among teas. It's delicious iced or hot.

Let the following be proclaimed throughout the land!!

There must be no denigrations of the good Earl in my presence.

Gman

Edited by Gar1eth

• 1 year later...

Mexican food looks and smells so appealing, but since they add a ton of cilantro to so many dishes, I can't eat it.  Yup, I'm in that ~10% who thinks cilantro tastes like soap.  Sometimes I see a Mexican recipe that sounds really good and wonder if I could sub out the cilantro for Italian parsley or another herb.

When I first tried it I felt the soapy thing. No longer - it took repeat exposure in the right places. When it’s combined with other bold flavored dishes (Thai, Mexican, Indian) I adore it. Even make my own sauce for pasta/veg/meats where it’s the prime ingredient with garlic, shallot, jalapeños and yogurt. 😋

6 hours ago, MikeBiDude said:

Yes, try Italian parsley. Also cumin if that doesn’t bother you.

Sometimes, if you don't like one herb or spice it's just as good to leave it out and rely on whatever other flavours there are in the dish. Which reminds me, I love the tang that fish sauce adds to Thai curries. I've been making them without it for some time and enjoying them, but I need to buy a bottle of it!

13 hours ago, JoeMendoza said:

not a fan; unfortunately, can't avoid cilantro in Chipotle rice.

I’ll be taking all your cilantro~ I’ll take the men that come with it~ 😛 Yum~!

Turkey has the best cilantro… it’s dried with the coriander and ground into a fine powder~ So delicious~! 

D72CC91F-683B-42D0-B05E-B1B5E91E8864.jpeg

Edited by Tygerscent

On 7/5/2020 at 12:27 AM, E.T.Bass said:

When Mongolian BBQ joints were the rage (maybe they still are) I learned to enjoy cilantro.

Also, Lee's Sandwiches serve cilantro on their sandwiches which are yummy.

2-layers-1-300x300.png

But yeah, some say cilantro tastes like soap. Not me.

Yes please…
Mongolian Grillorgasmaganza~!!!!

2112C01D-9826-46E1-AC45-D0CCED271FED.jpeg

16 hours ago, Brokara said:

I've heard it's healthy, but unfortunately it doesn't taste very good. 

Once it's in your sandwich or burrito, I presume it's dead, not healthy. But I like the taste. Welcome to the forum. 😉

On 12/13/2021 at 2:55 PM, BSR said:

Mexican food looks and smells so appealing, but since they add a ton of cilantro to so many dishes, I can't eat it.  Yup, I'm in that ~10% who thinks cilantro tastes like soap.  Sometimes I see a Mexican recipe that sounds really good and wonder if I could sub out the cilantro for Italian parsley or another herb.

For the folks who aren't afflicted with the "tastes like soap" syndrome the cilantro is barely noticeable. I can't eat onions (suffice to say they become a "cleanse") and omit them from recipes all the time. You could omit the cilantro and the recipe would be just fine.

I like cilantro such much that I typically request extra cilantro when ordering a burrito.  It's an important component of a good pico de gallo, and adds a lot to some southeast Asian cuisines.  What would a banh mi be without it?

I've never understood the "tastes like soap" complaint, so maybe that it just a genetic variation where some people perceive cilantro's flavor that way.

On 12/13/2021 at 4:40 PM, JoeMendoza said:

not a fan; unfortunately, can't avoid cilantro in Chipotle rice.

Yes, you can ask for plain brown or plain white rice, they keep it separate and it is the base they will be adding the cilantro & lime to. I have been getting plain for years.