Cilantro Pro Or Con/Yea Or Nay

Gar1eth
This topic is 847 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Some of my friends think it tastes like soap. I'm wondering if that reaction is genetic?

Maybe. I was raised by a farm girl who fed us all manner of home-grown vegetation and learned to like absolutely all of it. Eat what you grow, grow what you eat. Yum.

But the first time I tasted pork carnitas in a taco covered in cilantro I took one bite and spit it out. The pork was great, but the cilantro was awful.

"There can be no argument in matters of taste". But since you ask. I very much like it.

Some of my friends think it tastes like soap. I'm wondering if that reaction is genetic? :)

Reportedly it is genetic. And in the past I think maybe I've read that that might be the reason some people don't like broccoli too-it tastes bitter to them.

So you like cilantro. But what does it taste like to you? I actually think it might have a soapy taste to me. But it's not overpowering, and while I might not pick up a sprig to eat on its own, I'm fine with the way it tastes on fajitas.

Gman

it tastes like a cross between mild mint and basil to me.

living in the southwest, we eat a lot of "Mexican" food........for me, cilantro is required in most Mexican dishes to give it that authentic?? zip.......great taste and smell

YES!

Does it have a taste you can describe, @azdr0710?

I think, as I said above it might taste mildly soapy to me. But there are other bitter things that some people eat/drink, such as bitters, club soda/Perrier, and gin. So apparently I'm not the only to be able to tolerate something bitter.

I like cilantro and use it in my "Not Your Mama's Slaw" recipe.

Are you allowed to share the recipe with us?

Gman

the soapy taste that some seem to experience is a common complaint.....I've never ever thought cilantro tasted anything like soap (possibly based on that one time in school as a kid?? :)), but do think it has that classic Mexican scent and taste needed for any salsa, enchilada sauce, tacos, what-have-you......can't "describe" the taste, but I just know it has that necessary tang for Mexican food.......I don't think I'd use it in non-Mexican food!

I think, as I said above it might taste mildly soapy to me. But there are other bitter things that some people eat/drink, such as bitters, club soda/Perrier, and gin. So apparently I'm not the only to be able to tolerate something bitter.

Are you allowed to share the recipe with us?

Gman

Sure!

Not Your Mama's Slaw

INGREDIENTS

• 1/4 cup Maggi or soy sauce
  • 1/8 cup toasted sesame oil
  • 1/8 cup light oil, such as grapeseed, canola, or avocado
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon ginger, crushed
  • 3 tablespoons lime juice
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or 1 1/2 tablespoons freeze-dried
  • 1/8 cup white toasted sesame seeds
  • 1/8 cup black toasted sesame seeds
  • 1 pound shredded vegetables, such as broccoli slaw, carrots, or chopped salad

STEPS

1. Put all ingredients except for vegetables in a mason jar
  2. Shake well
  3. Pour over vegetables
  4. Toss until coated evenly

Sure!

Not Your Mama's Slaw

INGREDIENTS

• 1/4 cup Maggi or soy sauce
  • 1/8 cup toasted sesame oil
  • 1/8 cup light oil, such as grapeseed, canola, or avocado
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon ginger, crushed
  • 3 tablespoons lime juice
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or 1 1/2 tablespoons freeze-dried
  • 1/8 cup white toasted sesame seeds
  • 1/8 cup black toasted sesame seeds
  • 1 pound shredded vegetables, such as broccoli slaw, carrots, or chopped salad

STEPS

1. Put all ingredients except for vegetables in a mason jar
  2. Shake well
  3. Pour over vegetables
  4. Toss until coated evenly

This would go great when I smoke brisket or pork butt...I’m always looking for sides with a little acid (lime juice) to balance the smoke flavor.