Cilantro Pro Or Con/Yea Or Nay

Gar1eth
This topic is 848 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO.

NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO.

But how do you really feel?

The "soap taste" response likely has some genetic basis, but not much.

https://www.nature.com/news/soapy-taste-of-coriander-linked-to-genetic-variants-1.11398

But coriander-haters — including the nearly 4,000 registered members of IHateCilantro.com — should not be in any rush to have their genomes analysed. Eriksson and his team calculate that less than 10% of coriander preference is due to common genetic variants. “It is possible that the heritability of cilantro preference is just rather low,” they say.

Setting aside hypothetical hopes of a biological fix, those who hate coriander have two options: avoid or adulterate. Julia Child took the former option: in 2002, she told the interviewer Larry King that she never ordered dishes with coriander: “I would pick it out if I saw it and throw it on the floor.” But the renowned food science writer Harold McGee suggested a milder solution in a 2010 column in the New York Times. Inspired by a study5 suggesting that crushing coriander sped up the rate at which plant enzymes break down aldehyde molecules — perhaps removing those to which coriander-haters are most sensitive — he recommends grinding up these ingredients for a mild, pesto-like sauce.

Wait until you hear what cilantro had to say about you. :)

The first couple times I ate cilantro I thought it tasted like soap. That perception eventually went away and now I love it. On the other hand, I do not like coriander seeds. They have no flavor and the texture is disgusting.

The "soap taste" response likely has some genetic basis, but not much.

https://www.nature.com/news/soapy-taste-of-coriander-linked-to-genetic-variants-1.11398

How do you figure "but not much"? I read the article and it seems pretty clear that there are genetic variants for both the taste and smell of it being unappetizing. I get that they went on to say there could be other factors such as exposure, etc. but as someone who has hated it since I was a child, growing up in a place where it is prevalently used, in a family where everyone else loves it... there's genes at work. LOL

There is (was?) a wonderful Mexican restaurant named Cilantro on the east side of Columbus Ave. in NYC in the eighties. On Monday nights they had $10 frjitas (steak, chicken, shrimp or vegetarian) cash only. I lived nearby and went every Monday. I was walking down Columbus with a friend one day. She saw the restaurant and insisted we cross the avenue. The very word made her ill.

I think the first time I probably had cilantro was in my early to mid 20's during the 1980's when I had my first fajitas because I doubt my Mom ever used it in her cooking.

I like it. But I've read not everyone does.

Gman

I'm in the lucky 23% or whatever that has that gene that makes it taste like dish soap. NASTY. Ugh. Absolutely cannot stand Cilantro. Regular parsley is OK and I like that.

I'm in the lucky 23% or whatever that has that gene that makes it taste like dish soap. NASTY. Ugh. Absolutely cannot stand Cilantro. Regular parsley is OK and I like that.

The funny thing is I had some the other day. If what I was tasting was the cilantro, it was kind of bitter. But it wasn't overpowering, and I didn't mind it. And there are other bitter things people eat.

Gman

How do you figure "but not much"? I read the article and it seems pretty clear that there are genetic variants for both the taste and smell of it being unappetizing. I get that they went on to say there could be other factors such as exposure, etc. but as someone who has hated it since I was a child, growing up in a place where it is prevalently used, in a family where everyone else loves it... there's genes at work. LOL

Studies vary, but as the article mentioned, "less than 10% of coriander preference is due to common genetic variants." So, there is a genetic component, but it seems more complex than just the underlying biology. Or perhaps studies have missed significant regional variance in the genetic variants specific to disliking coriander. You mention hating it since childhood. What about the rest of your family? Friends back then? Humans are surprisingly adaptable. Our lived experiences provide sociological and emotional input that combine with our underlying biology to manifest our perceptions.

But coriander-haters — including the nearly 4,000 registered members of IHateCilantro.com — should not be in any rush to have their genomes analysed. Eriksson and his team calculate that less than 10% of coriander preference is due to common genetic variants. “It is possible that the heritability of cilantro preference is just rather low,” they say.

Guest Calix_K

Sounds like it's a split down the middle! I actually dont mind it. But then again, I've been told that I eat weird food as it is..