DOMESTIC TRAVEL During the Next 6 Months

Axiom2001
This topic is 1371 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Since we are in the midst of a worldwide pandemic-- everything and everyone have been adversely affected. I love to travel and have cancelled plans for most of this year, but a few minutes ago, I booked domestic travel to Washington, DC for four days to spend during my next birthday, which will be a milestone.

Right now this is a "go" for me in spite of my being a bit skeptical as well as fearful, but as the days and weeks and a few months approach-- I might change my mind and not travel.

Have you planned to travel domestically during the months and weeks to come? Have you canceled all trips for 2020?

Edited by Axiom2001

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All personal travel plans are on hold with a possible exception in September. Work-related travel has been cancelled until November at the earliest, and I’m less and less optimistic that even that will happen. Unusual times and it’s hard to see how things might be “on the other side.”

I'm current;y on a work trip in Missouri, finalizing a major upgrade on a large fixed ops process, as the last stage of work on a federal contract. Not expecting any more work travel for the rest of my career- we've moved to a Web-based training model, and the only on-site work we'll be doing from here on out is hardware installs. My sorry old tuchus can't do that work anymore, so no more work trips-yay! The PDX-STL flight was a Southwest nonstop, about 70 passengers, plenty of space, everyone masked up. I usually fly American or Delta across country east-west, but choices are slim on the schedules, the non-stop being vital this trip. Only problem so far, just one clerk on the rental car counter in St Louis, took over 3/4 of an hour to get my rental truck. Was hoping to have a couple days of fun at the end of this job, with my favorite Boxers n Briefs dancer, but the guy is in the hospital with a broken leg- aargh! Now that I've jumped on the big bird again, planning for a fall vacation can commence- just gotta save a week for Palm Springs next spring.

I would like to visit my cousin Ronnie in Edmonton but was denied permission for now. My cousin in Michigan cannot go to Windsor Ontario across the Ambassador Bridge from Detroit...WE used to take the bus to Downtown Detroit and walk across the bridge....Oh Well....Home looks pretty good..

I used to travel at least once a month and haven't traveled since this has started (fortunately I was in Vegas in early March the weekend before the lockdowns started).

I was thinking of doing an overnight trip to columbus on July 4 weekend since it's only a 2 1/2 hour drive, but since cases are spiking here, reconsidering.

If they still have pride/marketdays in Chicago Labor day weekend, I'm thinking of attending as well but will drive instead of flying.

Also considering a vegas trip in October and Chicago for New Years, but a lot is going to depend on if Corona is under control and if live theater will be open back up.

We had also planned to do a milestone birthday visit to Washington, DC, this year (it was my spouse's birthplace), but I don't want to get on a plane, and though I have driven there from California before, a driving trip that long through states where it may be hard to find places to stay overnight, not to mention restaurants, sounds too stressful. Then there is the question of what to do when we get there. There is no guarantee that any of the museums and other tourist sites will be open. I am fond of my brother-in-law and his husband, but I don't need to travel all that way just to sit around their apartment on Logan Circle chatting all day. I think we will probably wait till next year, and confine our domestic travel this year to familiar places within two or three days driving distance from Palm Springs.

I've already done some travel in-state here in Colorado and am considering doing some more. I do think I will wait and see how Arizona, Utah and some of our neighboring states shake out with their recent upticks. There have also been a few upticks in some counties here (Damn college kids in Boulder), but I will likely spend some time hiking and traveling in this beautiful state. Outside of Colorado, not sure until things calm down some.

• 1 month later...

Right now I would only plan local trips with no plans to stay at a hotel or travel by plane. I am hoping my first post lockdown trip will be a trip to Tahiti I have promised myself for years.

A few countries including Thailand and French Polynesia now require proof of medical insurance that includes coronavirus, so wise to check this if and when Tahiti plans materialize.

Wasn't planning on traveling at all but some friends were giving a COVID safe outdoor concert in the Berkshires that I drove up for last Friday. Drove back home that night.

Concert was great. Limited to 100 people in attendance and all groups were properly spaced apart. Thankfully, I was able to say hi to my friends after the concert.

A few countries including Thailand and French Polynesia now require proof of medical insurance that includes coronavirus, so wise to check this if and when Tahiti plans materialize.

Doesn't travel health insurance cover COVID? I'm gonna call my credit card company tomorrow.