DOMESTIC TRAVEL During the Next 6 Months

Axiom2001
This topic is 1385 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a bunch of trips to the U.S. and Europe planned which I had to cancel. I can't even drive over to Buffalo or Detroit if I wanted to.

I do want to fly to Calgary to see/book a provider but I don't feel comfortable taking a plane.

• 2 weeks later...

Most do not. You need to check. Mine is Global Allianz (my BMO MasterCard) and it quickly disqualified CoV coverage in March, unless you were mid-trip, because it became widespread enough to be a known risk entity.

I was reading today that there are a number of countries that now require travel health insurance proof before entry into the country. Aruba makes you buy their own government plan before entering. They don't want to get stuck with unpaid COVID related health bills looks like.

I was also read (this is more tangentially travel related) there were 66,000 USA women that travelled out of the USA to give birth last year, trying to avoid USA level medical bills.

Since we are in the midst of a worldwide pandemic-- everything and everyone have been adversely affected. I love to travel and have cancelled plans for most of this year, but a few minutes ago, I booked domestic travel to Washington, DC for four days to spend during my next birthday, which will be a milestone.

Right now this is a "go" for me in spite of my being a bit skeptical as well as fearful, but as the days and weeks and a few months approach-- I might change my mind and not travel.

Have you planned to travel domestically during the months and weeks to come? Have you canceled all trips for 2020?

I went to Dollywood at the end of June. They require masks and I felt very safe as they limited the number of guests. Then I headed to Nashville for a couple nights and that was a different story. All the bars on Broadway were full and no one was wearing masks. I went to a gay bar and they were at least practicing social distancing and requiring masks so I had a good time there.

I was reading today that there are a number of countries that now require travel health insurance proof before entry into the country. Aruba makes you buy their own government plan before entering. They don't want to get stuck with unpaid COVID related health bills looks like.

Aruba just posted a slightly higher than 1/1,000 per capita single day incidence, the highest single day count of anywhere anytime duration of pandemic. I do not know the context. A blitz of testing last week? A retroactive data dump due to a reporting glitch? An artefact of 5 weeks open to tourism (4 weeks for USA), that all accounts for 80% GDP? If it’s the latter, I wonder if it will dial back opening and other Caribbean nations will get cold feet.

So if you are a tourist there now, imagine the chaos, at least 115 cases in a small area. All that would have taken would be one or two cases from Canada or USA to spur growth. A negative test had been required for travel from ‘red zone’ American states but tests are egregiously inaccurate. The probability of at least one infected passenger on a flight based out of most continental international USA airports is currently 100%.

Look Ma, the insurance premiums are escalating.

Edited by SirBIllybob

I went to the Berkshires a couple of weeks ago for an outdoor, physically-distant concert. Everyone I saw around town was masked unless they were eating and everyone was observing physical distancing. The concert venue had limited the audience to 100 people and all seats were spaced out so no group was closer than 6' from any other group. The venue is planning more events this summer. I would definitely go back there.

My husband and I have made a few short getaways in the middle of the week. Tomorrow were leaving for two days in Sonoma. I just got a terrific email offer for four days at a Westin resort in Palm Dessert for $299. I have a year to use it. I think I'm going to buy it.

I went to the Berkshires a couple of weeks ago for an outdoor, physically-distant concert. Everyone I saw around town was masked unless they were eating and everyone was observing physical distancing. The concert venue had limited the audience to 100 people and all seats were spaced out so no group was closer than 6' from any other group. The venue is planning more events this summer. I would definitely go back there.

This is quite refreshing and great to read, and I thank you for this posting.

We in Monterey, CA lost our Monterey Jazz Festival this year; I plan to write the powers-to-be in connection with this very special event and ask that in 2021-- present a five-day event instead of three, allowing for physically distancing--etc.

Was the concert at Tanglewood? One branch of my family lived nearby, and I spent many happy summer vacations there.

I'm flying a prospect from Seeking Arrangements to go on a nice hiking trip in southern Utah and will also visit the northern rim of the Grand Canyon for the first time, in about a month.