Living alone and wanting a dog during COVID

jonnychgo
This topic is 1381 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

We've always had cats, and lost our elderly male last November. The boys had grown up with him and loved him. We still have a four-year old female who is very affectionate and playful.. Having said that I know cats have a reputation sometimes for being aloof. This not our cat but looks very similar.(She seems to love having us home...)93038492_2857377401049292_5544313539411312640_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=D7lgkrOJv6AAX8WUGEo&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=5d435c60f88e472d865218dce3ba035b&oe=5EBF6409

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that adopting a dog is something that should be done without careful forethought and commitment for the longer haul.

I second this. My roommate's family adopted a shelter dog and had her for just six months before the family scattered when the last child went off to college. I've never thought much of them since that. She's my dog now.

Thanks everyone for the good advice. I should mention that I am allergic to cats, otherwise, I probably would foster one now as I could even care for it if sick at home.

My favorite shelter in Chicago, PAWS, is out of foster dogs at the moment. I too, worry, that many people are adopting now and when they must go back to work, will return them to the shelter.

Thanks everyone for the good advice. I should mention that I am allergic to cats, otherwise, I probably would foster one now as I could even care for it if sick at home.

My favorite shelter in Chicago, PAWS, is out of foster dogs at the moment. I too, worry, that many people are adopting now and when they must go back to work, will return them to the shelter.

If you are allergic to cats, it is possible that you are somewhat allergic to dogs as well. I would check out dog breeds that tend to cause less allergy problems for owners before adopting a dog simply because it is really cute and sweet. Dogs that are heavy shedders are generally more problematic for someone with pet allergies than breeds like poodles which have heavy coats but don't readily shed them.

Also single and not interested in having kids, I've wanted a dog for the longest. I'm going to wait it out until I buy my new place and get one then.

I've really been enjoying long walks through a nearly deserted Central Park with my pup.

I'm shocked Central Park has been deserted, which is great for you of course. I thought automatically that would be the #1 spot everyone trapped inside would go to when they want to step out for fresh air, causing overcrowding and social distancing issues.

Lots of people right now are adopting dogs from shelters, reasoning that it is an ideal time to get a dog and train it, as well as have companionship when one is sheltering in place. Therefore, many shelters are running out of adoptable dogs. What worries me is all the people who have to go back to work at some point and then discover they don't want to leave the dog at home alone while they are at work and when they want to go out and play after work. I fear that a lot of animals who have become bonded with owners who are there 24/7 will then be returned to the shelters. I don't think that adopting a dog is something that should be done without careful forethought and commitment for the longer haul. I think you are right to be concerned about the issues you have mentioned.

Spot on. I was watching a feature on the news recently about this global pandemic and the surge of people wanting to get dogs as companions during this tough time. The same concerns you mentioned were the major key points brought up by a local vet at a dog shelter. She expressed the same sentiment, especially carefully thinking about the decision with commitment post Covid-19 in mind. A lot of people adopting will be back to work when this is over and won't have the time dedicated to care for their pet.

I'm shocked Central Park has been deserted, which is great for you of course. I thought automatically that would be the #1 spot everyone trapped inside would go to when they want to step out for fresh air, causing overcrowding and social distancing issues.

Definitely not overcrowding, it's just so damn big.

Kevin Slater

Dogs might be able to sniff out the coronavirus

Dogs might join the good fight to prevent the spread of the coronavirus in humans–especially for those who are symptom free, according to a team of researchers.

Due to the urgent need of coronavirus testing, preparations to intensively train dogs to detect asymptomatic carries of the virus have started and could be ready in six weeks, according to the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.

“It’s very early stages,” says James Logan, head of LSHTM’s Department of Disease Control.

“We know diseases have odors — including respiratory diseases such as influenza — and that those odors are in fact quite distinct. There is a very, very good chance that Covid-19 has a specific odor, and if it does I am really confident that the dogs would be able to learn that smell and detect it.”

Dogs have a highly developed sense of smell and are able to sniff out subtle changes in skin temperature –they already are used to diagnosis various medical conditions in humans like malaria, diabetes, Parkinson’s disease and cancer.

The LSHTM has even trained Labradors and cocker spaniels to detect malaria–by sniffing.

“Our previous work demonstrated that dogs can detect odors from humans with a malaria infection with extremely high accuracy — above the World Health Organization standards for a diagnostic,” said Logan in a press release.

If the project is successful, dogs will be able supplement ongoing testing by screening for the virus accurately and could “triage” 250 people per hour– by the summer in England.

dog.jpg

Edited by samhexum

• 3 weeks later...

Faced with the same thoughts as Jonnychgo. Have had, not one but 2 dogs at a time all my life except lost my last pup about 2 1/2 years ago after 17 years.

Just got furloughed for the next 6 weeks so this is a perfect time to get pups, housebreak them and start their training. i actually am picking up 2 pups on 05/16 and I will post pix after they come home. Plus, they can't go out much either until all the shots are completed. Spoke to the trainer I have used in the past and, unfortunately he won't have any puppy classes for socialization as he used to. Just means that the pups will start meeting neighbors out on the street as soon as they are able.

By the time i'm back in the office they will be housebroken, crate trained, and ready for me to leave them alone in order to get into mischief! Guess I'll have to get a doggie-cam also.

Now that I see it in writing, I can't wait. Already have the crates, beds, leashes, collars, gates for the stairs, bowls, exercise pen, etc.

:p

...Now that I see it in writing, I can't wait. Already have the crates, beds, leashes, collars, gates for the stairs, bowls, exercise pen, etc.

:p

I'm so-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o happy for you, @Funguy. You will have a blast!

I'd adopt a dog if you have always wanted one and can take care of him. Now might be a good time to get one if you are working from home during this so you'll be home to bond with him and have time to properly housebreak and train him.

Not sure if the shelters are open now or not and if foster's would want someone in their home. In some big cities people are adopting or fostering pets from people who have or died from Corona. Something to keep in mind though is taking the dog to the vet and if it requires grooming. With restrictions being eased it might not be that big of a problem soon but my sister hasn't been able to have her dog groomed since March because groomers were ordered closed. My cat's are due in this month for their annual vaccines and exam and my vet postponed their visit until July. And for the patients he is seeing you have to drive up in your car and an assistant comes and gets the pets and you have to wait in your car and they bring the pet back out. I'm sure a vet will see a new pet for vaccines and an exam and if you have to neuter him. My cats get timid if I'm not with them so I want to make sure I can be in the exam room with them.

I wouldn't let a fear of getting the virus stop you from getting a dog as long as you'll be home during this and not have to rely on a dog walker or pet sitter. I have the fear of what will happen to my cats if I die and am hoping my sister will take them. They are purebred Burmese cats that are very loving so I'm sure a burmese cat rescue would find them a good home easily. I just want to make sure they get adopted out together. You can get sick or injured anytime. I broke my femur and was in the hospital for almost a month between the surgery and the rehab place. I use a cat sitter when I travel and when I was in the ER and heard what I had to go through, I immediately called the cat sitter and was fortunate enough she was available the entire time I was laid up. She came every other day and the other days I had my parents or sister or a friend go and grab my mail and they would feed them and change the water.

Have you thought about getting a cat? You don't have to walk them and if you travel or get sick someone just needs to come in once a day to feed them and change the water and clean the litter box and you don't have to housebreak a cat. Some cats can be very loyal and like a dog.

I have two burmese cats and they are like a dog personality wise with the care of a cat. They'll sit on my lap all the time and sleep with me. The breeder I got my oldest one from calls them velcro cats because they stick to their owners like velcro LOL