zero % reply rate from thumbs down and bomb reactors

Smurof
This topic is 1556 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

If there was a statistic for forum members who lead in those categories, I'd be in the top 10 for sure. Why is it though when I send a private message to an individual who didn't like what I had to say, that person never replies - and I'm not exaggerating - NEVER?

I certainly don't bother with people who respond with vicious, mean-spirited comments, as they are everyone's time waster. However, if someone makes their opinion known and I'm curious for further discussion confidentially, why the disappearing act?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there was a statistic for forum members who lead in those categories, I'd be in the top 10 for sure. Why is it though when I send a private message to an individual who didn't like what I had to say, that person never replies - and I'm not exaggerating - NEVER?

I certainly don't bother with people who respond with vicious, mean-spirited comments, as they are everyone's time waster. However, if someone makes their opinion known and I'm curious for further discussion confidentially, why the disappearing act?

Perhaps they simply wanted to make their opinion known and NOT have a discussion about it ? Usually when I receive those negative ratings on a comment, there are also positive opposing ones, so its a mixed bag. As well, in my case its usually the same handful of people who post the negative ratings, so perhaps its a more personal thing with THEM and really NOT about your post ?

Chalk it up to "you cant please everyone all the time", and just forget about it and move on. You never will be having brunch with these people or receiving Christmas cards from them. :D:D

Guest LeonTrotsky
Perhaps they simply wanted to make their opinion known and NOT have a discussion about it ? Usually when I receive those negative ratings on a comment, there are also positive opposing ones, so its a mixed bag. As well, in my case its usually the same handful of people who post the negative ratings, so perhaps its a more personal thing with THEM and really NOT about your post ?

Chalk it up to "you cant please everyone all the time", and just forget about it and move on. You never will be having brunch with these people or receiving Christmas cards from them. :D:D

Good thoughtful response... I am starting to wonder, however, if there may be one person with multiple identities feeling the recent spike in bomb throwing activity.

Just remember, my good friend, my friend's enemies are my enemies, too!

I've had back and forth with a couple of guys I don't share views with. Didn't lead to agreements particularly, but a number of times lead to more understanding for me. Sometimes it was positive. But I've limited it to people that aren't just making stuff up to cause problems.

Guest LeonTrotsky
I've had back and forth with a couple of guys I don't share views with. Didn't lead to agreements particularly, but a number of times lead to more understanding for me. Sometimes it was positive. But I've limited it to people that aren't just making stuff up to cause problems.

It's become fairly clear to me that there are some people who post just for the sake of being oppositional....

Ive definitely been in very heated debates where everyone was raking me through the coals, with “bombs”, and “thumbs down”, lol.... (and I stood firm and wouldn’t relent). When I private messaged the initial person who disagreed with me, he didn’t respond either.

In many cases, it’s simply because the individual doesn’t have a substantive point of view to stand on his own to discuss, as he typically is feeding off of the support of other participants in the discussion.

Also, many guys get off from being publicly sarcastic and snippy, instead of having a true exchange of opinions. Also, online forums embolden cowards (the luxury of anonymity), and as a private message is more direct, many people just can’t handle it.

I’ve had a few PM discussions with a few members and I was able to learn from what we initially disagreed on and it broadened my perspective.

Some others just liked being jerks (which is fine too).

The bomb symbol is supposed to mean "insulting," but it is ambiguous, because it isn't clear whether it means that it is insulting to someone or ones mentioned in the post, or to the person reading and rating the post. And I have received a couple of bombs that are totally puzzling, because I can't figure out why they are insulting or to whom. I don't think I have ever used the symbol, but there are a few people who use it fairly often, and I sometimes wonder if it is a mistake.

The bomb symbol is supposed to mean "insulting," but it is ambiguous, because it isn't clear whether it means that it is insulting to someone or ones mentioned in the post, or to the person reading and rating the post. And I have received a couple of bombs that are totally puzzling, because I can't figure out why they are insulting or to whom. I don't think I have ever used the symbol, but there are a few people who use it fairly often, and I sometimes wonder if it is a mistake.

Don't overthink it. It's a symbol of intense disagreement with YOUR particular comment or POV in that thread.

Guest LeonTrotsky
Gee, seems the denizens of the Politics subforum are the primary respondents here. Coincidence??!!

Denizens? Try "participants" instead.

Gee, seems the denizens of the Politics subforum are the primary respondents here. Coincidence??!!

Not exactly sure WHAT the implication is here, especially since you yourself are a respondent ? and considering the sample is quite small, I don't think any conclusions can/should be drawn from it.

Guest LeonTrotsky

Not naming any names here @Bearman but my favorite use of the negative emojis is when someone I discrimately bombs all my postings regardless of content.

#interlopers

#oneMoreKremlinAgentToIgnore

#peopleHiddenBehindHiddenProfiles

Not naming any names here @Bearman but my favorite use of the negative emojis is when someone I discrimately bombs all my postings regardless of content.

#interlopers

#oneMoreKremlinAgentToIgnore

#peopleHiddenBehindHiddenProfiles

Seems the Bearman struck twice, because I woke up today to have all my political posts re: Trump "bombed" by him/her as well.

Guess he LOVES Trump, so he should just say so, instead of using cowardly emojis to make his position known.

Whoever he/she/it IS, please know, it means nothing to me to be "bombed by YOU !

Guest LeonTrotsky
Seems the Bearman struck twice, because I woke up today to have all my political posts re: Trump "bombed" by him/her as well.

Guess he LOVES Trump, so he should just say so, instead of using cowardly emojis to make his position known.

Whoever he/she/it IS, please know, it means nothing to me to be "bombed by YOU !

Maybe s/he was having a rough night. Certainly it had nothing to do with principles political or otherwise. Just acting the fool.

You do realize that I AM serious about my reference to Kremlin inspired agents lurking amongst us.

Maybe s/he was having a rough night. Certainly it had nothing to do with principles political or otherwise. Just acting the fool.

You do realize that I AM serious about my reference to Kremlin inspired agents lurking amongst us.

Maybe NOT the real Kremlin, but I suspect just some of those "Russian stacking dolls" ?

s-l640.jpg

Guest LeonTrotsky
Maybe NOT the real Kremlin, but I suspect just some of those "Russian stacking dolls" ?

s-l640.jpg

When another forum member (one far more respected than I will ever be...) suggested to me the possibility that there has been an influx of persons here not of out community, I somewhat dismissed it as being too similar to some of the strange right wing conspiracy theories that the Band of Others posts here.... But after research and reflection I see that there may be some there there... After all, the Band does fulfill the central casting requirements of internet trolling::

1. Trolls aren't keen on full stops or capitals.
  2. Trolls tend to bang on and on about the same topic.
  3. Trolls tend to sound a bit different from everyone else.
  4. Trolls will not let it drop.
  5. Trolls don't care if posts are deleted..

Its starting to add up a bit to me.....

#PutinPawns

I wonder if the anal sunning idea was born on their coffee break, those troll farmers that work for the Kr3ml!n.

Yeah, there are some that clearly mean to stir the pot, where their heart isn't in it other than to cause division.

Guest LeonTrotsky
I wonder if the anal sunning idea was born on their coffee break, those troll farmers that work for the Kr3ml!n.

Yeah, there are some that clearly mean to stir the pot, where their heart isn't in it other than to cause division.

A strong offense is our greatest defense against Trolls....

Shiro-Strong.jpg