What Exotic Meats Have Eaten?

Avalon
This topic is 1890 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have eaten kangaroo, ostrich, and reindeer.

The owner of a French restaurant near me in CA used to make sure he had reindeer on the menu right before Christmas and rabbit just before Easter. Perverse booger. The frog legs there were excellent.

A dive bar/pool hall in Chicago used to be known for it's O-Burger (Ostrich). It was good! But it's so low-fat it tended to be on the dry side.

Dad took occasional deer hunting trips so we'd have venison on years when he got lucky.

I've had gator in FL but it was sorta like "while you're here anyway...".

Goat is common in meat counters in latino neighborhoods. It's sort of a gamey lamb.

I have had bear, camel, turtle, iguana (at Curacao), cicada, silkworm larvae, and snake. I THINK I had dog meat when I was a kid, but can't be sure. And I don't consider frog and rabbit as exotic. Obviously I had them.

Edited by JohnGerman

On my list is venison, elk, moose, squirrel, frog legs, and bison. I know these are probably not considered meat but they are exotic - snails and octopus.

When I was in the Navy, our submarine went to a small town in Greece. We were the first USA ship to dock there in 20 years. Not a lot of people spoke English. One afternoon a group of sailors went to a local park and we bought meat on a skewer from a food cart. It had an unusual taste so we start pantomiming asking the vendor if it was cow or horse. Just then a dog walked by and the vendor pointed to the dog. Not necessarily something I want to eat again.

Camel, horse, monkey and a Kikuyu delicacy called yenye (sic). Yenye is know as tripe here in the states. Living in Kenya for two years I learned not to ask too many questions when invited to my students’ homes. You just ate it.

For those Swahili speakers among us one of my most used phrases in Kenya was “Nina kuhara”. :D