What Exotic Meats Have Eaten?

Avalon
This topic is 1906 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just came across this ethnic group in China that forbids the eating of dogs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosuo

While some Asian cultures practice the custom of eating dogs, this is strictly forbidden to the Mosuo. In Mosuo culture, a myth describes that long ago, dogs had life spans of 60 years while humans had life spans of thirteen years. Humans felt their life span was too short, so they traded it with the dogs in exchange for paying homage to them. Therefore, dogs are valued members of the family. They are never killed, and they most certainly are never eaten. During the initiation rites into adulthood, Mosuo adolescents pray before the family dogs.

I had absolutely delicious weinerschnitzel at the restaurant in the Cologne Zoo. I know that's not an exotic food, but I think the fact that they were obviously serving same-day-killed meat (it was so tender!) made it pretty exotic.

:cool::p:D;):rolleyes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiener_schnitzel

Sounds good!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schnitzel

The pork tenderloin sandwich, popular in the Midwest, is made from a breaded pork tenderloin and is very similar to schnitzel. Chicken fried steak, similar to country fried steak, is another name for schnitzel, especially in the southern states. It is usually served with white gravy ("country gravy"), which is the type of gravy used in "Sausage Gravy over Biscuits" but without the sausage in it.

I have eaten live octopus where the tenticles are still moving. It is a Korean delicacy. In US they cut it up into smaller pieces but still moving. You have to really chew or else it can get stuck in throat. It is pretty tasteless so you need to dip in sauce.

I am a pretty adventurous eater but spider and dog I refuse to eat.

Tarantula in Cambodia--you had to be there...

Was marinated and deep fried as a snack food. I tried a leg. Really good. Tasted like anything that has been marinated and deep fried.

I passed on the snake soup (cause it looked just like snake soup,) and the rat. Won't eat dog. Also passed on the crickets. Tried chewing beetle nuts in Myanmar--OK not an animal food, but really disgusting and produces a most unpleasant high.

Have had various organ meats--tripe, kidney, liver, heart, stuffed intestines and aorta (in Rome.) Sea urchin. Turned down Guinea Pig in Ecuador--looked to much like squirrel on a stick. In Bergamo, I ordered "uccellini con polenta" which turned out to be a kind of canary shish kabob--skewered tiny whole song birds with the heads on staring up at me--they were not wonderful. Bergamo also produces a pastry version (looks like a cake with marshmallow tweets on top) which was much better.

Guineapig in Perú, crocodile and camel here. Kangaroo shouldn't count in Australia, but I guess it does, and it's on supermarket shelves here (so is crocodile for that matter). I've had goat, but it's not all that exotic either. There are vast numbers of feral goats on arid rangelands in Australia, and in recent years graziers have been mustering them for (mainly) an export meat trade, and in poor seasons they provide a good source of extra income.

In Mexico I had crickets (chapulines), fried worms (gusanos de maguey) and ants' eggs (escamole). You need A LOT of eggs to make it eatable.

I liked all of them.

When I was a kid in Milan there was a butcher who sold only horse meat (and interiors). My mom used to buy for me horse steak from time to time to make me "stronger". I liked that too.

I had reindeer, venison, frogs (meh), sea urchins (no-no), ostrich, wild boar meat and prosciutto, deer's prosciutto (not difficult to find in north of Italy). Does cow's tongue count?

I recently had alpaca at a restaurant in DC. Over the years I've eaten venison often, squab (pigeon), bison, wild boar, ostrich, quail, and alligator occasionally. It's protected now but before it was I had terrapin a few times.

Since others have branched into organ meats and seafood, I'll add brains, tongue, sweetbreads, kidneys, sea urchin (you know the edible part is their gonads, right?) shad roe, and conch.

Im hoping it was a deer of some type. The village had a creepy store that sold deer and dog pelts. Can’t think about that. I got delayed going back to the “hotel” after a sleet storm in August, and they had a plate of food ready from the closed buffet with no food identifying markers.

I always try to eat the most exotic meats I can find. Alligator's easy to find in the South. I've also had horse, reindeer, moose, rattlesnake, musk ox, kangaroo, crocodile, greater Kudu, impala, lion, dog, whale, guinea pig (cuy in Peru), some insects and worms in South Africa, alpaca, and sea urchin. I'm going down to mysterious Paraguay in 2 weeks. I wonder what mysterious meat I can find there? Capybara? Broad-snouted caiman?