Blue Suit With Brown Shoes?

Avalon
This topic is 2241 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a suit commercial on tv and the man was wearing a blue suit with brown shoes. Is that the right combo? It looked odd to me.

I have seen the combo for a few years. It is pretty common. I have also notice a lot of guys wear a suit without a tie, which doesn't seem right to me. Sport coat or blazer, yes, but suit, no. But what do I know.

It depends on the color brown, the occasion the wearer is attending, and the other components of the ensemble ( shirt color and fabric, tie- or no tie). It can even depend on the coloring of the wearer. A redhead, wearing a dark blue gabardine suit, with a chambray shirt, and luggage brown or saddle tan shoes ( and a similar tone belt) will look great. The warm brown will compliment the blue, and refer to the wearers hair color. As with so many things regarding fashion you have to start with the wearer.

Totally agree with the 2nd link about the right shoe colors.

But in summer, when wearing shorts, all bets are off.

I saw a suit commercial on tv and the man was wearing a blue suit with brown shoes. Is that the right combo? It looked odd to me.

I wear cognac colored dress shoes with a navy suit all the time. Looks fine to me - the fact that I enjoy a good cognac has nothing to do with it (I do declare!) Get a lot of compliments on that specific pair of shoes, just fyi...

It certainly can work.

But obviously it takes the right brown, the right blue,

and the right man, to make it “work”.

It’s not beginner fashion. If your wardrobe closet has

more Levi’s than Armani....I’d suggest sticking with

black belt and shoes for blue suits. It’s not nearly as

stylish...but it’s harder to fuck up.

No no no no

A gentleman’s leathers should all match - shoes, belt and watch band. Alligator for a dressy day at the office or a fine calfskin for a more subdued look. Brown is acceptable for the above, collectively, only so long as the accompanying suit is of a complementary hue.

Likewise for any metals: belt buckle, bezel of a thin, tastefully understated watch, one (and no more) ring (never on the pinkie unless one is meeting with members of the mafia), Mont Blanc fountain pen pocket clip, and, of course, cuff links. Gold is preferable. (Note the omission of any metal on the shoes - no buckles there unless attending a Gypsy wedding or the butchering of a hog).

The rules are quite clear and easy to follow. “Dare to be different” at your own sartorial peril.

No no no no

A gentleman’s leathers should all match - shoes, belt and watch band. Alligator for a dressy day at the office or a fine calfskin for a more subdued look. Brown is acceptable for the above, collectively, only so long as the accompanying suit is of a complementary hue.

Likewise for any metals: belt buckle, bezel of a thin, tastefully understated watch, one (and no more) ring (never on the pinkie unless one is meeting with members of the mafia), Mont Blanc fountain pen pocket clip, and, of course, cuff links. Gold is preferable. (Note the omission of any metal on the shoes - no buckles there unless attending a Gypsy wedding or the butchering of a hog).

The rules are quite clear and easy to follow. “Dare to be different” at your own sartorial peril.

Do I want to be a gentleman? No. I want to be Harvey Specter! :D