Blue Suit With Brown Shoes?

Avalon
This topic is 2256 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Do I want to be a gentleman? No. I want to be Harvey Specter! :D

Indeed!

Harvey-Specter-1-Suit-e1465488887191.jpg

Harvey Specter’s appearance is so flawlessly sharp largely because he keeps his wardrobe timeless, rather than chasing trends. The classic approach to fashion is particularly apparent in his suits, which don’t conform to on-trend tailoring features such as skinny cut, thin lapels and slightly shorter trouser. Instead, Harvey’s suits are slim cut, with high arm-holes and medium-wide lapels. Milanese buttonholes add a subtle distinguishing feature.

(Emphasis added)

No guido buckled shoes or tawdry gold bracelets here!

;)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brown shoes and belt with blue suit? ABSOLUTEY NOT!!! One can get away with cordovan or dark burgundy. If you are aiming for the "C" Suite (or better), black shoes and blue suit are the only way to go. One must distinguish between "FAD" and "FASHION". Good taste is always in good taste in style and fashion. Looking like you stepped out of "GQ", especially the current issues, is, in the real world, a tragic and career-ending / career-limiting mistake. Re-read "DRESS FOR SUCCESS" (the current edition) for good advice. One more thing: Suits and jackets that are cut too small (sleeves that are too short and coat tails that are too short) make you look ridiculous unless you are in your early 20's and wear a size SMALL. Otherwise, you will spend the rest of your career in a cube looking at a computer for 8 to 10 hours a day and listening to the hum of florescent lights and drinking coffee from a paper cup.

Yes...

6ca19229f24175db7cd67e804b19ac2f--blue-suit-brown-shoes-blue-suits.jpg

Brown shoes and belt with blue suit? ABSOLUTEY NOT!!! One can get away with cordovan or dark burgundy. If you are aiming for the "C" Suite (or better), black shoes and blue suit are the only way to go.
Forgive my not knowing the lingo. But would the “C” Suite mentioned be the “Corner Office?”

One must distinguish between "FAD" and "FASHION". Good taste is always in good taste in style and fashion. Looking like you stepped out of "GQ", especially the current issues, is, in the real world, a tragic and career-ending / career-limiting mistake. Re-read "DRESS FOR SUCCESS" (the current edition) for good advice. One more thing: Suits and jackets that are cut too small (sleeves that are too short and coat tails that are too short) make you look ridiculous unless you are in your early 20's and wear a size SMALL. Otherwise, you will spend the rest of your career in a cube looking at a computer for 8 to 10 hours a day and listening to the hum of florescent lights and drinking coffee from a paper cup.

If I’m sitting in a cube for 8 to 10 hours a day, I sure as heck won’t be wearing a suit and tie.

Gman

The "C" suite is where the executive sit. It may be a corner office with windows and a view or it may be an entire suite (reception area, executive assistant's office, formal office for the executive, "working office" for the executive, formal conference room, and a private restroom to include a shower and closet for changes of clothes). The entrance doors to such an office suite are usually double doors and the décor is definitely upscale and designer quality (with nothing from Office Depot).

Regarding what one wears in a "cube": One should always dress two or three levels above one's current job. It is how you get noticed for promotions. "Business casual" is for those who, typically, won't become the president of the company. I learned long ago that appearance is a major part of the "game" to get ahead and stay ahead--it is how one can afford to see gentleman callers of high reputation and quality on a regular and fulfilling basis...

Well-fitting clothes are a must. I hate seeing a shoulder gap in a jacket. For a slight premium, consider having your clothes made to order. You can choose from a wealth of fine Italian fabrics and choose you own linings and buttons. Always chose operating buttons for the sleeves. Ditto for shirts. You can choose fit, collars, whether or not you want pockets or French cuffs, and buttons. I’ve been doing the same with belts and buckles. I haven’t ventured into bespoke shoes yet, though one can’t go wrong with Alden, Nettleton, Church’s, etc.